• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Cathal Daly on the Late Late Show

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome
I remember through the haze of my youth an episode of the Late Late show in the early nineties where cardinal Cathal Daly was being interviewed on the Late Late Show and Gay Byrne asked him a question in relation to pedophilia within the church which he blew off resulting in being booed by the small audience within the Late Late.

I can't find footage of this incident anywhere online however am sure that it occurred. Can anyone confirm my memory or even better supply a link to the incident?

Astral Peaks

I very much doubt that Byrne asked a Cardinal about paedophilia within the Church ever.?
And nor do I think a Cardinal got booed?

Rural

I remember it clearly and Fr. (trendy) Brian D'Arcy was very critical of the Cardinal. I found this piece:

In November 1994 when the child abuse issue was escaping the suffocating smoke of Vatican incense Cahal Daly spoke of a painful, worrying and distressing time. ‘We feel the hurt of all those who have suffered, who have been hurt, and all those whose trust in priests or religious has been abused.’ Although he did push for the case of the child rapist Brendan Smyth to be fast tracked to the RUC, it appears he had no idea of what lay ahead for the Church in Ireland, predicting only that it would experience 2 or 3 difficult years. It has now stretched into almost 2 decades and shows little sign of abating. While there is nothing to suggest he was a devious scheming chancer a la the current pope he like so many other was out of sync with the public mood on matters of Catholic clerics raping children. An appearance of the Late Late show saw him hissed and hackled by some members of the audience because of a failure to convincingly respond to criticisms made by Brain Darcy.

Auld Cynic

My recollection of this debate was of a row between old Daly, known as the whistling bishop because of his pronunciation of the letter 's', and Fr. Brian D'Arcy in which the latter bravely confronted the head of his church in Ireland about the way the Catholic church had behaved. I've seen clips of it over the years.

There is a BBC documentary on Fr. D'Arcy on YouTube but I haven't watched it so I can't say if a clip of the Late Late debate is included.

Astral Peaks

Ah well, I was wrong so.

Happy to acknowledge that....

daithimac

Twitter
@daveyawesome

mr. jings

Never forget what the hierarchy allowed to happen to children, nor how they flailed around in their own excrement trying to cover up, after being dragged kicking, stonewalling and shrieking into the cold light of day.

Never forget any of it.

Auld Cynic

Never forget what the hierarchy allowed to happen to children, nor how they flailed around in their own excrement trying to cover up, after being dragged kicking, stonewalling and shrieking into the cold light of day.

Never forget any of it.
Indeed! And they ought now to be handing over their precious property and international wealth to help pay for their brutal sins and not have the taxpayer picking up the tab.

mr. jings

Indeed! And they ought now to be handing over their precious property and international wealth to help pay for their brutal sins and not have the taxpayer picking up the tab.
You can thank FF and Woods in particular for that one. Wish there was some way the State could rescind the whole deal and go for restitution given the gross misrepresentation by the Church as to the extent of both the abuse and their knowledge of it. And then there's their own sizable contribution to the atrocities by blithely moving serial predators onto unknowing greener pastures.

Auld Cynic

You can thank FF and Woods in particular for that one. Wish there was some way the State could rescind the whole deal and go for restitution given the gross misrepresentation by the Church as to the extent of both the abuse and their knowledge of it. And then there's their own sizable contribution to the atrocities by blithely moving serial predators onto unknowing greener pastures.
I remember it all only too well. Woods wanted to be a knight of columbanus or something.

I also remember the moving of priests. I lived in a diocese in the 1980s where priests were moved on an annual basis with no explanation. We now know why. The bishop himself was moved to another diocese eventually! When the rope started to get too tight on him in recent years with the reports into clericial child sexual abuse about to hit the printing presses, he stepped down on 'health' grounds!

Auld Cynic

No he couldn't.
That's irrelevant. The point is that we have a new Government now which is faintly anti-clerical and it should have the strength and resolve to tear up the Woods agreement and to sue the Catholic church for a fair share of the proceeds of the compensation that has to be paid to the victims of its hypocritical savages of priests, nuns and so-called christian brothers who abused innocent, defenceless children for their perverse and sick personal gratification and take their property and wealth off them.

edifice.

Daly was a loathsome individual, a Castle Catholic to the core.

Ryan Tubbs

Daly was a loathsome individual, a Castle Catholic to the core.
That's not fair at all. Cathal Daly (aka. "The Whistling Bishop") was a very principled man, and strongly opposed to the Provos throughout his tenure. He was also a formidable theologian. (His vast personal archive of writings is in the Linen Hall library in Belfast, I believe).

Bear in mind he was the first primate who was confronted with the various scandals in the church - child abuse, Bishop Casey, Fr. Smith, etc. so his reaction should be viewed in that light. He certainly can't be criticised to the same degree as Cardinal Brady, for his silly response to the issue.

Popular Threads

Most Replies