• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Cathal Goan to Resign as DG of RTÉ

yehbut_nobut

RTÉ director general Cathal Goan is to step down after serving his full seven-year term, it was announced today.
In a statement today, the national broadcaster said its board will shortly beging the process of appointing a new director general after accepting Mr Goan's decision to stand down.
RTÉ director general to step down - The Irish Times - Thu, Jul 22, 2010

change in "perspective" (or bias?) in RTE news and current affairs ...

constitutionus

"full seven year term " ?

christ its not the presidency !

i know we slag RTE off as being an arm of the civil service/ gov but the pomposity of that statement is just laughable.

as to a change in perspective ?

yeah right, we know who pays RTES paychecks and theyre gonna be calling the shots as usual.

The Dude

I think the 'High Society'/'Cowengate' one-two severely undermined RTE and Goan's flip flopping didnt help.

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Statement by Minister Eamon Ryan, calling Goan a "true gentleman and a scholar"

Minister Ryan thanks Cathal Goan for his service as RTÉ Director General

Dublin, 22 July 2010

Communications Minister Eamon Ryan today thanked Cathal Goan for his service as Director General of RTÉ, and congratulated him on what he called, “an unparalleled career in public service broadcasting.”

Mr. Goan has announced that he will not seek an extension of his seven year term as Director General and is to step down from his role, on appointment of a replacement.

“As a man of real creativity, who loves the Irish language, Cathal has made a major contribution to both RTÉ and TG4,” said Minister Ryan.

“Cathal knows that the number one job in public service broadcasting is programme-making and he has remained committed to that throughout his career. He is a brilliant mind and has made a genuine contribution to the arts in Ireland.

I wish Cathal the very best for his future endeavours. He is a true gentleman and a scholar.”

Goldencircle

Im sure he will be a rich man and rightly so, given the service he has provided over the years.

Tomas Mor

I think the 'High Society'/'Cowengate' one-two severely undermined RTE and Goan's flip flopping didnt help.
what is that about, I dont follow

thebig C

I genuinely don't think any DG was more accommodating to Government or accepting of Government impositions as Goan.

I wonder does he see the writing on the Electoral wall and not want to wrath of an incomming FG/Labour administration??!!

As for talk of public service.....rubbish. He was paid handsomely to do a job, the result is RTE in financial difficulty despite being bankrolled and a total failure to provide journalistic prudence and separation of Government policy and editorial judgement!

C

Victor Meldrew

As for talk of public service.....rubbish. He was paid handsomely to do a job, the result is RTE in financial difficulty despite being bankrolled and a total failure to provide journalistic prudence and separation of Government policy and editorial judgement!

C
Amen on everything "C"

He was there for 7 years,

would he have signed off on Pat K, G Ryan (RIP) , Tubbs and co's pay packets?

Venal rubber stamp is gone, long live the next venal rubber stamp.

Goldencircle

How much money would it save it they just got rid of RTE2 all together ?

Just flick it on for the sport and the Den.

Much like alot of the 'public service' its full of hangers on and people that should never be employed let alone be "broadcasters". I don't even think I need to list them.

The Dude

what is that about, I dont follow
The High Society RTE programme on cocaine, based on the book that claimed a govt minister was a user. Never substantiated the claim and was, without that substance, gutter journalism.

RTE then went too far the other way, with the embarrassing and wrong decision to apologise to Brian Cowen following the reporting of the portrait fiasco.

LDF

How should we judge how good a job CG did at the helm of RTE?

-We can't commend him on the organisations financial stability - despite almost annual increases in the license fee.
-We can't commend him for the roll-out of Digital TV.
-We can't commend him for the production of innovative programming - buying trash from America and copying formats from the BBC doesn't count.
-Can we commend him for his station's breaking of major news stories? I can't remember a single major story brought to us by RTE since the Bev Flynn/Banking scandal.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
"full seven year term " ?

christ its not the presidency !

i know we slag RTE off as being an arm of the civil service/ gov but the pomposity of that statement is just laughable.

as to a change in perspective ?

yeah right, we know who pays RTES paychecks and theyre gonna be calling the shots as usual.
I read that as the powers that be were impatient for him to reach the seven year mark, so that they could then make it clear to him that they were not too keen on renewing the contract.

I hope they has a clear idea of RTE's failings under his watch and have someone in mind who has the credentials to undo some of the damage the same Goan has done in his time.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
How should we judge how good a job CG did at the helm of RTE?

-We can't commend him on the organisations financial stability - despite almost annual increases in the license fee.
-We can't commend him for the roll-out of Digital TV.
-We can't commend him for the production of innovative programming - buying trash from America and copying formats from the BBC doesn't count.
-Can we commend him for his station's breaking of major news stories? I can't remember a single major story brought to us by RTE since the Bev Flynn/Banking scandal.
Then there's obvious pro-government bias, obvious pro-church bias, obvious indiscipline among broadcasting "stars", stifling conservatism, general dumbing down, appalling science programming, Killiascully, general lack of change ...

There was, of course, Pure Mule.

Was "Paths to Freedom" and "Fergus's Wedding" under him?

adrem

I'm not too sure about the biases - RTE always tended to be pro Church, pro whoever was in government. Different people see different things - if RTE are agreeing with their perspective then they don't see that as "bias" they see that as simply being reasonable - if RTE disagree with their perspective then they are being biased and unfair.

human nature and all that sort of thing

Anyway - the main thing for me would be to focus on stimulating some decent home made programming - I think Pure Mule was good and I thought Raw was good too. More importantly they need to review the ridiculous salaries we pay to our presenters - not one of them should be paid more than the Taoiseach (and yes we all agree he's over paid) - if we lose them to the Beeb then we will live with that.

Goldencircle

Aside from the current affairs. I think they assume Nationwide covers the home made angle. Its a joke.

The amount of time spent hyping upcoming shows and their all US garbage or 'documentary's' which seem to more about the presenter then the actual subject. Tg4 put them to shame.

Who could we possibly "lose" to the bbc, Baz or Katherine Lynch ?

Harmonica

RTE drama has probably improved over the last 7 years. Online service is much better now too. The general feel of RTE has however been dumbed down with a host of Irish versions reality tv type shows. It never ceases to amaze how RTE can do their own version of a BBC day time tv show & drop into prime time. That said they are probably giving people what they want unfortunately.

Dorris

It is interesting to such wonderful accolades for this great man. Incidentally,

does anyone know the name of the Hell raising dogs scholar, who made

huge moves in changing the shape of this country and also shared a grandmother with the arcihivist ?