Catholic Bishops Instruct NI Assembly Voters to Support Anti-Abortion Candidates

GDPR

The Catholic heirarchy in NI has issued a statement calling on voters to observe the Church's teaching on abortion when deciding which candidates to vote for in the Assembly elections.

Catholic bishops back anti-abortion candidates in Northern Ireland vote | UK news | The Guardian

Northern Bishops: Catholics should quiz election candidates - The Irish News

Just to remind everyone, abortion is not legal in NI except in very restricted circumstances. The law which applies is the 1861 Offences Against the Person Act. Earlier this year a young woman was reported to the PSNI for obtaining abortifacient pills online. She was subsequently convicted and given a three month suspended sentence. She could have got life.

The issue of reform of the law pertaining to terminations in NI has generated much debate and almost all candidates have a declared position on it. You can check them up here courtesy of Belfast Feminist Network

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qe_KTb-uhkehYr8B8RYSNMT1wvYums3uN1Pu34IyGvk/edit#gid=715661040

NI Ireland;s law on abortion has been ruled in breach of the ECHR in the Sarah Ewart case, which involved a woman who was forced to travel to England in order to have a termination because the foetus had a fatal abnormality.

NI abortion law 'breaches human rights' - BBC News

The main parties have all voiced their oppistion to the extension to NI of the 1967 Abortion Act, but have pushed down the issue of liberalising NI's laws to individual MLAs. When they had the opportunity to amend the Criminal Justice Bill to legalise abortion in the case of Fatal Foetal Abnormality, the DUP and SDLP combined to wreck the motion Abortion: MLAs vote against legalisation in fatal foetal abnormality cases - BBC News

The Catholic Church is therefore instructing the faithful to cast votes for fundamentalist parties like the DUP or TUV if that is the candidate in your constituency whose voting record is most compatible with the Church's teaching.

The pastoral letter also condemns SSM which SF says it intends to propose in the next legislative period.

Same-sex marriage to be Sinn Fein's priority in the next Assembly session - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

So basically the Church is telling the electorate not to vote SF. I can see no other inference to be drawn from this ham-fisted intervention in the election.

petaljam

So the bishops want punters to vote DUP.
They have more in common with much of the DUP certainly than with Sinn Fein's left wing anyway, we've seen that often enough in political terms - Save Ulster from Sodomy was an aim that the church as just dying to line up behind, it would have been the DUP that wouldn't have them though, not back then! Craven as ever, the bishops!

wombat

They do what they always do - tell people that abortion should be considered as a priority when choosing for whom to vote. This is not new, and is perfectly acceptable in a democratic society - pesky free speech and all...
Interesting that non catholics still think bishops instruct catholics how to vote:lol:

Interesting that non catholics still think bishops instruct catholics how to vote:lol:
The salient point here is that it is Sinn Féin who have made the decision to endorse more liberal abortion laws - they have moved position. The Church has not changed at all, and never will when it comes to this extermination of the unborn - an issue I would support them on 100% even if I became a Dawkinsite atheist in the morning.

If Sinn Féin had allowed freedom of conscience on the issue, as happens in Britain, this would not be an issue. Nor, I suspect would the Church have any issue with people voting for those in SF who have refused to adopt the new line.

SF made a knowing decision to adopt a position which made it impossible for practicing Catholics to vote for them in good conscience. Their problem.

petaljam

Even more interesting that after everything that's happened, the hierarchy still doesn't seem nearly as interested in stopping child abusers within their own ranks as in they are ensuring that 19 year olds remain at risk of acquiring a criminal record for taking a medical treatment that's legal in most of Europe :
http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/245897-vatican-instructions-bishops-dont-have-report-child-abuse-outside-authorities.html

Even more interesting that after everything that's happened, the hierarchy still doesn't seem nearly as interested in stopping child abusers within their own ranks as in they are ensuring that 19 year olds remain at risk of acquiring a criminal record for taking a medical treatment that's legal in most of Europe :
http://www.politics.ie/forum/culture-community/245897-vatican-instructions-bishops-dont-have-report-child-abuse-outside-authorities.html
The thread is about abortion. There is no shortage of threads on Catholic Church's handling of child abuse, and yes, awful it has been - that's where you can discuss that. Conflating the two issues is a disingenuous and insincere attempt to deflect. It is anyway stupid to say 'you can't talk about/have an opinion on this because your handling of that was woeful'.

between the bridges

Cruimh

The thread is about abortion. There is no shortage of threads on Catholic Church's handling of child abuse, and yes, awful it has been - that's where you can discuss that. Conflating the two issues is a disingenuous and insincere attempt to deflect.
I think the issue is whether or not the Bishops have any credibility when they preach morality?

petaljam

The thread is about abortion. There is no shortage of threads on Catholic Church's handling of child abuse, and yes, awful it has been - that's where you can discuss that. Conflating the two issues is a disingenuous and insincere attempt to deflect.
The thread I linked to was from only a few weeks ago, and about a very recent declaration made on the issue, just to be clear.
So the question of where their priorities lie in 2016 is a perfectly valid point. No Catholic clergymen are ever going be pregnant, so arguably it's far less their business than their current policies on child abuse. And of course the usual suspects stayed away in droves from any discussion on that declaration. It's interesting to see how keen they'll be to pile in to this one though. You've made a good start defending them anyway. :)

I think the issue is whether or not the Bishops have any credibility when they preach morality?
Depends on the bishop/bishops, and depends on the audience. I don't judge an entire group collectively by the acts/omissions of some of them.

Their words are aimed at practicing Catholics, not at progressive liberal Guardianistas - and their word still carries a lot of weight with many (though undoubtedly not all..)

The thread I linked to was from only a few weeks ago, and about a very recent declaration made on the issue, just to be clear.
So the question of where their priorities lie in 2016 is a perfectly valid point. No Catholic clergymen are ever going be pregnant, so arguably it's far less their business than their current policies on child abuse. And of course the usual suspects stayed away in droves from any discussion on that declaration. It's interesting to see how keen they'll be to pile in to this one though. You've made a good start defending them anyway. :)
It's of utter irrelevance to this discussion. They have a perfect right to say to fellow Catholics 'we think you should bear these atrocities in mind when deciding your vote'. It's called free speech. Sorry and all.

petaljam

Their words are aimed at practicing Catholics, not at progressive liberal Guardianistas - and their word still carries a lot of weight with many
IN which case it's funny that you weren't even just a teensy bit interested in the declaration that bishops didn't need to inform police about child abuse they might become aware of...

petaljam

It's of utter irrelevance to this discussion. They have a perfect right to say to fellow Catholics 'we think you should bear these atrocities in mind when deciding your vote'. It's called free speech. Sorry and all.
I wonder how posters here will react when Imams start telling their Irish or even UK-born flock who to vote for in accordance with Koranic laws. :)

Emily Davison

Doesn't free speech not also mean we can point out the utter hypocracy of morals in the RCC?

Truth.ie

Care to name the political party on the ballot paper which can preach morality?
I'll be voting an anti-abortion candidate.
I support abortion if the Mothers life is in imminent danger, but oppose the kind of abortion laws that are being pushed by the liberal left.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies