Catholic Bishops Instruct NI Assembly Voters to Support Anti-Abortion Candidates

The threas isnt about abortion.
It is about the RCC attempting to influence voters.

Did anyone read the Irish News link - it seems their main concern is actually the miantenance of the separate educational system in the North :)

The hoes and the h0mos are just the usual window-dressing ...
Every ****er and his wife tries to influence voters come election time. The environmentalists, the Brexiters, the conspiracy theorists, the animal liberationists. So bloody what?

The Catholics are supposed to be unique in society as the only group who have to keep their mouth shut and make no arguments?

Again - democracy is a bugger, I know...

GDPR

If that's the impact then that's the impact.

Is there some sort of rule in place requiring Roman Catholics to vote FOR Sinn Fein (on a purely sectarian basis)? You make it sound as if this is the case, so that the RC church making a statement about voting for parties that stand for policies that the RC church agrees with is some big challenge to this rule.

What's so ham fisted about this? Are you worried about the prospect of Roman Catholics voting for unionist parties?

I'd have thought that it's about time to get rid of sectarian assumptions such as the one that you expressed, to a point where people vote on the basis of policies instead of religious tribal allegiance.

Oh no Dimps, I think its time for religions to stop interfering in politics.

This thread must be terribly hard for some Loyalists to get their heads round. I am really enjoying it :)

petaljam

Ah, the whole 'men aren't allowed an opinion' line, beloved of abortion extremists. If it helps you at all, I can get a load of nuns to say exactly the same thing to you. Or mothers of children.

Sorry, my intolerant and authoritarian friend, but they are quite entitled to state their moral opposition to the slaughter of the unborn, and to ask others to consider it when voting. Democracy's a bitch like that.
If you can point to where I've ever said that men should have less of a say in this issue because of their gender I'll be most interested to see it. My point was - and again, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me if I'm wrong - that the bishops, mentioned on the OP, are all supposedly male celibates, and as such not directly involved in the issues. That's just a fact. As is their lack of interest in child protection issues apparently. Which as Sailor has pointed out, raises the question of why they are so interested in women's pregnancies.

Oh and as to mothers of children, I'm sure you'll find some, but going by the various interventions one sees in the letters pages and the rest, most of the keenest in the issue are clearly men, and of the women interested enough to get involved, there seem to be very very few who aren't already menopausal. With the exception of Breda O Brien and her pals of course.

GDPR

Every ****er and his wife tries to influence voters come election time. The environmentalists, the Brexiters, the conspiracy theorists, the animal liberationists. So bloody what?

The Catholics are supposed to be unique in society as the only group who have to keep their mouth shut and make no arguments?

Again - democracy is a bugger, I know...
The Bishops are invoking their "spiritual authority".

That is why i

t is called a pastoral letter. Now they can say they are just another pressure group. That is exaclty how I regard them. But it is not how they regard themselves or how they want their congregations to regard them.

Irish-Rationalist

I suspect SevenStars, sorry, Eagle is just attention seeking with click-bait.
I'm not clicking on any links on this site. Venereal disease is transmitted surreptitiously through the internet nowadays. As is Roman Catholicism.

D

Deleted member 17573

Thank you for making my point. An anti-abortion stance which isn't based in the belief that it is some form of child protection is by definition only interested in controlling women's bodies. There is no third way.
I think you can take it that those who oppose abortion are concerned with the protection of the child, while those who favour it based on a woman's right to bodily integrity conveniently forget that there is a second body involved, and tend to make silly comments about men trying to control women's bodies.

Emily Davison

Good for them!

Glad to see they have grown a pair

But where were they down here during the Gay Referendum????

Hiding behind the door like little white mice.....:oops:

When they should have been leading their Flock to oppose it.....
I see you missed Bishop Doran's outing on Newstalk, you should listen back, this pastoral letter also covers de gays. Not a peep out of Doran once.

By the way, did you get the latest version of Alive, it has an excellent article on the benefits of smacking children. You can pick it up after mass on Sunday. It's great how the RCC is so concerned about children.

If you can point to where I've ever said that men should have less of a say in this issue because of their gender I'll be most interested to see it. My point was - and again, I'm sure you'll be able to tell me if I'm wrong - that the bishops, mentioned on the OP, are all supposedly male celibates, and as such not directly involved in the issues. That's just a fact. As is their lack of interest in child protection issues apparently. Which as Sailor has pointed out, raises the question of why they are so interested in women's pregnancies.
Let's follow your logic to its absurd conclusion..

I don't know and am not involved in the whole issue of Wahhabi jihadism - I'm not a Muslim, nor have any link to the areas in which that ideology flourishes (bar Luton.....).

I am therefore not allowed to state my moral opposition to what violent jihadis do. Not only that, but supporters of violent jihadism are right to be upset that I dared do so.

It's not very logical, is it?

GDPR

I see you missed Bishop Doran's outing on Newstalk, you should listen back, this pastoral letter also covers de gays. Not a peep out of Doran once.
De pastoral letter is mainly about de Catholic education system in NI ... but yes, dey dont want de gays to get de SSM and SF has been much more up front in dere support of dat den de liberalisation of de abortin : :)

D

Deleted member 17573

If you are suggesting that Catholic clergy and clergy from other denominations take greater interest in preventing or limiting abortion than the general population, you might be accused of suggesting that morality is based primarily on religious belief.

Blokesbloke

The Church tells people do do an awful lot of things, but they generally ignore them.

The Bishops are invoking their "spiritual authority".

That is why i

t is called a pastoral letter. Now they can say they are just another pressure group. That is exaclty how I regard them. But it is not how they regard themselves or how they want their congregations to regard them.
You simply haven't thought this through. They are, like everyone else in Europe, perfectly entitled to express their view on moral issues, including where they overlap with politics. They are perfectly entitled, just like you or me, to urge people to consider their thoughts when deciding who to vote for.

Sorry and all.

Emily Davison

Hypocrisy. You can do as you wish. It has nothing to do with the subject matter and is obfuscation. With that proviso, say what you wish, it doesn't make any difference to the main point - that they have an absolute democratic right to state their position and advise their congregations to take it into consideration.

Where did I ever say any different. There's a lot more in that pastoral letter than abortion you know.

Irish-Rationalist

What's so ham fisted about this? Are you worried about the prospect of Roman Catholics voting for unionist parties?
Bingo.

I'd have thought that it's about time to get rid of sectarian assumptions such as the one that you expressed, to a point where people vote on the basis of policies instead of religious tribal allegiance.
Ah, but them auld priests have indoctrinated them to such an extent that they're not even aware of their own tribalist religious sectarianism. The RCC has been brainwashing Irish women and controlling their minds and bodies for centuries.

petaljam

I think you can take it that those who oppose abortion are concerned with the protection of the child, while those who favour it based on a woman's right to bodily integrity conveniently forget that there is a second body involved, and tend to make silly comments about men trying to control women's bodies.
And yet there was such a studied silence from the same crowd when the Vatican said in 2016 that there was no need for bishops to inform the police of child abuse they might learn of in the course of their pastoral duties or other.

And of course the usual posters here in an unseemly haste to dismiss the issue as irrelevant and unimportant. Not nearly as much fun as reporting 19 year olds to the police in an orgy of self righteousness because she wasn't upset enough, eh?

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
Well far from me to ever say anything positive about the Catholic Church, but I see where they are coming from with this advice: less abortions of Catholic babes and the chance of a majority up North for their brand increases:rolleyes:

GDPR

You simply haven't thought this through. They are, like everyone else in Europe, perfectly entitled to express their view on moral issues, including where they overlap with politics. They are perfectly entitled, just like you or me, to urge people to consider their thoughts when deciding who to vote for.

Sorry and all.
I have thought this through.

They are no different from the Muslim Jihadis who claim the imprimatur of Allah for their views and speak on behalf of a wholly imagined deity. They are no common or garden pressure group.

And they should be regarded with the same disdain as we extend to those who demand sharia law instead of common law.

D

Deleted member 17573

And yet there was such a studied silence from the same crowd when the Vatican said in 2016 that there was no need for bishops to inform the police of child abuse they might learn of in the course of their pastoral duties or other.

And of course the usual posters here in an unseemly haste to dismiss the issue as irrelevant and unimportant. Not nearly as much fun as reporting 19 year olds to the police in an orgy of self righteousness because she wasn't upset enough, eh?
All very well, but why did you bother quoting my post? Your comments don't appear to refer to it in any way.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom