• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Catholic College Gives Orange Order Warm Welcome

Irish-Rationalist

Very interesting meeting, and one which provided an arena for lively debate. Whilst the Orange Order and Catholic students and academics are usually found at bipolar ends of the social, political and religious spectrum, what happened here provided both groups with an opportunity to educate and learn about eachother's history and political perspective:

Orange Order: Warm welcome and tough talking as Catholic college opens up to Protestant history - BBC News

Commendations to all those who participated.

Irish-Rationalist

Nicole O'Neill - I wonder if she would be interested in some Unionist outreach?

One small point - since when is QUB a Catholic university?
They met at St Mary's University College on Belfast's Falls Road.

You shall continue to clumsily and erroneously contribute if you don't even bother to click on links, genius.

hollandia

Nicole O'Neill - I wonder if she would be interested in some Unionist outreach?

One small point - since when is QUB a Catholic university?
It's not. And you know that. You also know that St Mary's is the Catholic sector teacher training college. As usual, you have nothing constructive to say about what is imo a good news story.

GDPR

You dont invite the devil. Just as Saints and Holy people bring manifest spiritual presences around them so to do evil people. There plenty of other people they could have invited from the PUL community- also anyone who has read the writings of the so-called Reformers and the writings of the Freemasons knows that they are a million miles apart and that is why I dont consider Orange men and other Masons to be "Prods".

I hope it was at least explained to the Orange men that if they dont repent than they are headed for eternal torments in the lake of fire.

Irish-Rationalist

You dont invite the devil. Just as Saints and Holy people bring manifest spiritual presences around them so to do evil people. There plenty of other people they could have invited from the PUL community- also anyone who has read the writings of the so-called Reformers and the writings of the Freemasons knows that they are a million miles apart and that is why I dont consider Orange men and other Masons to be "Prods".

I hope it was at least explained to the Orange men that if they dont repent than they are headed for eternal torments in the lake of fire.
You're quite an interesting (or confused) poster. In your opinion Orangemen aren't Prods? Please. Explain that one.

As regards the religious blarney about 'eternal torments'; cut it out ffs.

Irish-Rationalist

Ooooooooohhhh! CR has an eye for the ladies, and not the laddies.

Encouraging.

GDPR

You're quite an interesting (or confused) poster. In your opinion Orangemen aren't Prods? Please. Explain that one.

As regards the religious blarney about 'eternal torments'; cut it out ffs.
Ethnically they are "Prods" in the Northern Irish sense.

Spiritually however they do not belong to Protestant Christianity at least once they have passed the Royal Arch Purple Degree.

Satanic secrets of the Orange Order | UK news | The Guardian

The Reformers held an overly pessismistic view of fallen humanity while Freemasonry of which the Orange Order is a part holds to a luciferian arrogant view of at least a portion of humanity.

CastleRay

The Reformers held an overly pessismistic view of fallen humanity while Freemasonry of which the Orange Order is a part holds to a luciferian arrogant view of at least a portion of humanity.
I don't think there is any organisational connection between the OO and Freemasonry. There may be similarities in the fraternal activities / rituals / regalia / symbols etc but they are two separate organisations.

Irish-Rationalist

Ethnically they are "Prods" in the Northern Irish sense.

Spiritually however they do not belong to Protestant Christianity at least once they have passed the Royal Arch Purple Degree.

Satanic secrets of the Orange Order | UK news | The Guardian

Is Protestantism not a religion, as opposed to an "ethnicity"?

Both the Freemasons and the OO, which borrows dress code, symbols and rituals from the FM, have been accused of ritual practices akin to Satanism. However, no headless chickens or sacrificed dead virgins or babies have ever been found at a Freemason's or Orange Hall.

Perhaps they're disposing of the evidence very quickly and effectively?

blokesbloke

You shall continue to clumsily and erroneously contribute if you don't even bother to click on links, genius.
I was delighted to read about such a positive cross-cultural exchange.

Glad you're keeping up with the spirit of the OP yourself.

Cruimh

Erm - St Mary's University College isn't a University in its own right - it is merely a college of the Queens University Belfast .....

I'll look forward to your apology ;)

Cruimh

It's not. And you know that. You also know that St Mary's is the Catholic sector teacher training college. As usual, you have nothing constructive to say about what is imo a good news story.
I love how it fires you lot up when your apartheid nonsense is exposed.

St Mary's is only a College, it isn't a University.

It is a part of QUB - but you bigots can pretend that it isn't tainted by being part of a British institution :D

Strawberry

Erm - St Mary's University College isn't a University in its own right - it is merely a college of the Queens University Belfast .....

I'll look forward to your apology ;)
Big deal. We have a rare thread where everybody agrees about something and you have to nit pick about nothing to cause a row.

Cruimh

I was delighted to read about such a positive cross-cultural exchange.

Glad you're keeping up with the spirit of the OP yourself.
Goes back a good while BB - during WWII the Orange Order allowed one of its Orange Halls in Portrush to be used by American Forces Chaplains (Unwelcome in NI to certain NI RC Clerics and people) to say Mass for American RC Troops.....

(Led to a rather embarrassing incident in Stormont when the Unionist Minister for Home Affairs, William Lowry, made a stupid Joke that caused great offence)

cricket

more votes lost
Lost by who ?
I think this is a welcome development, but the dialogue should be straight and honest.OO is a throwback to the 17th century and a cover for bigotry and thuggery.

Cruimh

Big deal. We have a rare thread where everybody agrees about something and you have to nit pick about nothing to cause a row.
it is the de Valera in me ... and it does expose a weakness on your side of the fence .... Chauvinism and begrudgery of trying to deny that St Mary's is part of a British University.

And I did point out that it was only a small point ....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies