• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Catholic institutions says Salvatorian admitted abusing 100 children

Socratus O' Pericles

From today's IT:

Priest allowed contact with children after abuse allegation
Latest reports on child protection in Catholic institutions says Salvatorian admitted abusing 100 children.

Priest allowed contact with children after abuse allegation

Also headline news in most other papers and first item on the News At One on RTÉ.

A priest was allowed to have contact with children for at least two years after a female relative accused him in 2002 of abuse as a child, according to a report released today.
The Salvatorian priest later admitted that he had abused in excess of 100 children up to 2004.
The details are contained in the latest and final tranche of its reviews of child protection in Catholic institutions on the island of Ireland the church’s National Board for Safeguarding Children .

More evidence of the mealy mouthed, weaseling of the catholic church and its "orders" in the history of this case.

Sexually abused 100 children.

I doubt much has changed really.

Apparently the "salvatorians" are immensely wealthy and intend to stay that way if this treatment of one of their number in Britain is anything to go by:

Priest forced to sleep in disused ambulance after row with Catholic church (From Watford Observer)

An unholy row has left a Catholic priest destitute and sleeping rough in a former ambulance in Abbots Langley.

Father James Twist, 58, claims he has been cut off by church leaders and has not received a penny for food or essentials, surviving on state handouts and his own meagre savings for the past 18 months.

A Catholic priest for almost three decades, he said things turned sour while he was living in the presbytery in The Crescent, Abbots Langley.....................

................case of the church having its own rules and despite its incredible wealth it can perform acts (with the full sanction of HQ) which are antithetical to the principles of its founder.

wwjd?

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

I for one call for a full audit of the finacial dealing s of all "orders" in Ireland and if that means new legislation or even a Constitutional Amendment I think it would be worthwhile.

Casablanca

I've always suspected that the new found "openness and learning process" displayed by the church in the aftermath of the child abuse scandals is little more than a better media management programme, and that underneath it, the same inclination to protect the institution at all costs still pervades.

Stories like the OP do little to dissuade me of that view.

Socratus O' Pericles

I've always suspected that the new found "openness and learning process" displayed by the church in the aftermath of the child abuse scandals is little more than a better media management programme, and that underneath it, the same inclination to protect the institution at all costs still pervades.

Stories like the OP do little to dissuade me of that view.
They display an incredible selfishness, almost unbelievable arrogance and as I say their thoughts, words and actions must be at 180 degree variance of those of the founder of the catholic church:

The board said that the Salvatorians and the Blessed Sacrament Fathers showed “little evidence that the standards have been properly implemented. The Salvatorians were particularly poor in relation to the monitoring of an accused priest. And in a number of cases poor record-keeping took place,” said Teresa Devlin, the Board’s chief executive.

runwiththewind

Yet we still leave our schools in their care.

So what exactly do people expect l?

LISTOWEL MAN

the Dunblane files are the key to Savile

they knew and they are sealed for that very reason

Casablanca

They display an incredible selfishness, almost unbelievable arrogance and as I say their thoughts, words and actions must be at 180 degree variance of those of the founder of the catholic church:
A member of an order was well known to me at one stage, around my own age(born in the 60's). I was constantly surprised at his disassociation from real, everyday life. In summary, he replied that from the age of 13 when he entered a secondary school of the order he joined at 18, he had been taught and groomed to believe that a priest or brother was above and beyond the call of ordinary society and certainly not answerable to Civil Law, but rather the law of the god as laid down by the church and his order.

If it's officers are taught to have such a mind all their lives, it takes more than toothless reports and public condemnation to change it.

Last edited:

Socratus O' Pericles

A member of an order was well known to me at one stage, around my own age(born in the 60's). I was constantly surprised at his disassociation from real, everyday life. In summary, he replied that from the age of 13 when he entered a secondary school of the order he joined at 18, he had been taught and groomed to believe that a priest or brother was above and beyond the call of ordinary society and certainly no answerable to Civil Law, but rather the law of the god as laid down by the church and his order.

If it's officers are taught to have such a mind all their lives, it takes more than toothless reports and public condemnation to change it.
I believe that to be true.

I'm also always taken aback at their huge wealth. A person I'm related to works in road construction and she was saying the road builders' hearts sink when the name of an order comes up in the land searches of a CPO. This person says the orders will "fight you for every last shilling", they want preferential treatment and behave in ways that no other landowners do to ensure their position is maximised. Not ungenerous settlements are rejected as a matter of form to ensure the return from the taxpayer is maximised. And these orders own vast tracts of land/.

A REASON

When the church was bribed and sided with the british it should have been the end of them amongst Irish people.

Socratus O' Pericles

So what exactly do people expect l?
Its one of the many things that puzzles me about Irish Society.

Mothers who would scream blue murder if a playground had a swinging gate or if there was no pedestrian crossing seem to see the prize of their kids having a couple of "big days out, just like I did" as being more beneficial than the safety of keeping education in state hands.

Casablanca

I believe that to be true.

I'm also always taken aback at their huge wealth. A person I'm related to works in road construction and she was saying the road builders' hearts sink when the name of an order comes up in the land searches of a CPO. This person says the orders will "fight you for every last shilling", they want preferential treatment and behave in ways that no other landowners do to ensure their position is maximised. Not ungenerous settlements are rejected as a matter of form to ensure the return from the taxpayer is maximised. And these orders own vast tracts of land/.
I can confirm that experience. In over 30 years in the building industry, one of the most feared phrases at any site meeting was "who'll talk to the abbot/priest/nun about the right of way?" It was code for "get the chequebook out". Invariably, after the deal was finally done, the various tradespeople on the site would be approached as the job went on to hang a door, set some grass, paint a gate etc. All FOC of course. Reverence and respect were played upon to get something for nothing.

In spite of our progress as a nation over the past decades in trying to bring a more secular society, that old Ireland still exists if we scratch the surface.

Last edited:

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

I for one call for a full audit of the finacial dealing s of all "orders" in Ireland and if that means new legislation or even a Constitutional Amendment I think it would be worthwhile.

(Former Fianna Fail Minister Michael Woods describes hlmself as a man of “strong Catholic faith”).

The June 2002 deal between Fianna Fail (above) and 18 religious orders, brokered by Michael Woods while serving as Minister for Education, awarded indemnity against all legal claims if…

…they paid €128m in cash and property.

Total liability was estimated at €300m even though no detailed analysis was carried out by any government department. The Government estimated there would be 2,000 claimants. In the end, there were more than 14,000.

Total liability is currently estimated at €1.2bn

The indemnity deal at a glance (irish Independent, May 22, 2009)

AmIStillOnThisIsland writes:

A few points about the Indemnity deal

It was never run past the Attorney General of the day [Michael McDowell].

It was finalised outside of a dissolved Daíl and no vote ever taken on it.

It could be repealed in the morning with few grounds for legal challenge

A bill was presented to the Daíl in 2009 to repeal the deal but got nowhere.

Less than 70% of the monies owed by the Church has been paid, example the Christian Brothers have paid 4 Million of a total 42 owed.

So if Enda was serious about being a ‘Catholic but not a Catholic Taoiseach’, he would repeal the bill in the morning and open all of the religious institutions to a liability to pay for their crimes.

Indemnity And The Religious | Broadsheet.ie
The church/state nexus of industrialised child abuse looked over and approved by successive FFG governments still rules this rotten republic...someday let's hope the walls fall in totality and we see the real truth behind FFG complicity in the rape, abuse and murder of women and children on an industrial scale.

runwiththewind

Its one of the many things that puzzles me about Irish Society.

Mothers who would scream blue murder if a playground had a swinging gate or if there was no pedestrian crossing seem to see the prize of their kids having a couple of "big days out, just like I did" as being more beneficial than the safety of keeping education in state hands.
I said something very similar to a colleague at work last year and am getting a' cool' reception since. Amazing how woman will trade their daughter's safety for the chance to wear a white dress twice in her life'.

That's far more important to parents. Don't know where that leaves their sons.

Glenshane4

Who is "our?" If you are not a practising Catholic, the possessive adjective "our" is not an appropriate word for you to use in relation to the property of the Catholic Church.

Last edited:

Glenshane4

In over 30 years in the building industry, one of the most feared phrases at any site meeting was "who'll talk to the abbot/priest/nun about the right of way?" It was code for "get the chequebook out".
Are you a corrupt builder who thinks you should have a free right of way through Catholic property?

Glenshane4

Perhaps you have not done enough to convince them about the benefits of education in State-owned schools.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies