Catholic marriage counselling agencies told they must accept gay couples.

Wascurito

GCN (Gay Community News) is reporting that Roman Catholic Church-run marriage counselling agencies are facing closure because of their anti-LGBT policies.

One such agency is Accord which receives roughly €1.6m in public funds per annum from Tusla, which comes under the remit of the Minister for Children, Katherine Zappone.

However, they don't offer their services to same-sex couples and it's understood that the government is threatening to cut off funds unless these agencies change their policies.

Half Nelson

The result - more families in trouble, more broken marriages, more damaged children, more mothers and children in poverty.

But hey, Fine Gael gets to prove its liberal credentials - that's what's important.

SEAMAI

I heard this yesterday and was puzzled. I thought that a PMC was insisted on by the RC church not the state?

sadmal

Why on earth would a child protection agency like Tusla be helping to fund a marriage counselling agency?

GDPR

Why would militant homosexualists want Catholic marriage guidance courses? :confused:

They hate us. All very weird.

CookieMonster

The result - more families in trouble, more broken marriages, more damaged children, more mothers and children in poverty.

But hey, Fine Gael gets to prove its liberal credentials - that's what's important.
Or they could use their state funding to help all married couples.

But hey, religious types get to prove their bigot credentials - that's what's important.

CookieMonster

Why on earth would a child protection agency like Tusla be helping to fund a marriage counselling agency?
Less marriage breakdown = happier healthier children.

sadmal

I heard this yesterday and was puzzled. I thought that a PMC was insisted on by the RC church not the state?
Pre-marriage counselling is but this is general marriage counselling when couple are in conflict. The Church could, of course, say they will fund it themselves and then run it as a private agency.

Half Nelson

The PMC is only a part of ACCORD's work. It provides counselling for couples seeking relationship advice.

Cruimh

Because they work in schools
This means that groups such as Accord could be facing closure having already had their funding cut by more than 40% in the past three years.

The Department of Children and Youth Affairs is currently paying a minimum of €1.6 million to religious counselling groups that have policies that refuse to offer relationship and marriage counselling to LGBT+ couples.

Accord also gives relationship and sex education classes. The curriculum does not include education around contraception or homosexual relationships. They held classes in 400 schools in Dublin alone in 2016.

The agencies are funded by Tusla, the responsibility of which is the minister for children, Katherine Zappone.

Half Nelson

Or they could use their state funding to help all married couples.

But hey, religious types get to prove their bigot credentials - that's what's important.
Where is the Natonal relationship counselling agency that all this money should go to?

You're another ignorant begrudger who can't see past his hangups.

'orebel

petunia

SEAMAI

Pre-marriage counselling is but this is general marriage counselling when couple are in conflict. The Church could of course say they will fund it themselves and then run it as a private agency.
That's what happens when I was only half listening because my porridge had boiled over in the microwave yesterday morning and I was having a mini meltdown at the time.

gerhard dengler

Where is the Natonal relationship counselling agency that all this money should go to?

You're another ignorant begrudger who can't see past his hangups.
Yeah, let the state set up it's own marriage guidance service as an alternative.

Casablanca

It seems a simple enough issue to resolve.

ACCORD continues to provide it's PMC to those who want/are inclined to get married in the RC rites, and charge them appropriate fees.

And the State provides financial support , on the basis of normal tendering procedures, to organisations who will adhere to State protocols and provide the desired marriage counselling services.

Wascurito

Presumably, this is for people already married whose relationships are in difficulty.

My puzzlement arises from the idea that any gay couple would go anywhere near a Roman Catholic counselling agency.

What could a Roman Catholic counselling agency possibly tell them?

livingstone

That article raises a bigger question, which is why taxpayers are funding incomplete relationship and sex education delivered through a particular religious prism.

And to be somewhat pedantic, but it's an important difference, they're not being told they must accept gay couples, they are told that receiving public funding is contingent on not discriminating against gay couples.

Bill

Presumably, this is for people already married whose relationships are in difficulty.

My puzzlement arises from the idea that any gay couple would go anywhere near a Roman Catholic counselling agency.
What could a Roman Catholic counselling agency possibly tell them?

New Threads

Most Replies