Catholic schools cannot refuse to hire gay teachers, says Brussels

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

The European Commission has said that Roman Catholic schools in Poland or elsewhere in the EU cannot refuse to employ gay teachers.

EU justice commissioner Viviane Reding said on Wednesday (26 October) in a written statement that EU law on non-discrimination in the workplace allows religious outfits "to take a person's religion or belief into account, where necessary, when recruiting personnel and to require their personnel to show loyalty to that ethos."

But she added: "While it is difficult to make a statement about a hypothetical case, the commission fails to see how a teacher's sexual orientation could reasonably constitute a genuine and determining occupational requirement."
EUobserver / Catholic schools cannot refuse to hire gay teachers, says Brussels

Gay teachers 'threatened' by Employment Act - The Irish Times - Thu, Apr 08, 2010

IT 08/04/10 said:
Gay and bisexual teachers feel threatened by laws which could allow school managements to dismiss teachers in order to protect their ethos, the Irish National Teachers’ Organisation (INTO) annual conference heard.

Deputy INTO general secretary Noel Ward said sections of the Employment Equality Act meant that some workers were more equal than others.

Section 37 of the Act provides denominational schools with an exemption allowing them to take “reasonably necessary” action to prevent an employee or prospective employee “from undermining” its religious ethos.

Mr Ward said this gave sweeping powers to school managements. Teachers in denominational schools shouldn’t feel threatened if they were for example gay or bisexual, or divorced, he said.
Should the Oireachtas repeal section 37 of the Employment Act?

Cato

Excellent! Next stop the full application of the equality laws to all schools. The option of training as a primary school teacher without the religious nonsense would also be nice.

Sync

/MOD/ Moved to Justice /MOD/

corelli

White Horse

Do Irish schools refuse to hire homosexual teachers?

In my experience the requirement is to teach the sylabus in accordance with the ethos of the school.

The private life of the teacher is a separate and a private matter.

corelli

Do Irish schools refuse to hire homosexual teachers?

In my experience the requirement is to teach the sylabus in accordance with the ethos of the school.

The private life of the teacher is a separate and a private matter.
I think, in practice, that's what happens, to be fair, though the exemption is there and the point is that it need not be.

DeputyEdo

meh....all that means is the schools can't say "Sorry, you didn't get the job because you're gay".....they'll just change it to "Sorry, you didn't get the job because we don't think you show the requisite level of loyalty to our religious ethos".

White Horse

I think, in practice, that's what happens, to be fair, though the exemption is there and the point is that it need not be.
The exemption relates to undermining the ethos.

This is a much broader issue than the sexuality of the teacher. This exemption is vital otherwise teacher unions will determine the ethos of schools.

corelli

The exemption relates to undermining the ethos.

This is a much broader issue than the sexuality of the teacher. This exemption is vital otherwise teacher unions will determine the ethos of schools.
Well, the point being that the Teacher Unions consider it bad practice/untenable to have to conform to a certain ethos in order to get a job in a State funded school. Something with which I happen to agree and you probably don't.

It's rather nonsensical to insist that a gay person, paid by the State to teach kids, would have to teach that homosexuality is intrinsically evil.

White Horse

Well, the point being that the Teacher Unions consider it bad practice/untenable to have to conform to a certain ethos in order to get a job in a State funded school. Something with which I happen to agree and you probably don't.

It's rather nonsensical to insist that a gay person, paid by the State to teach kids, would have to teach that homosexuality is intrinsically evil.
Teaching is a profession. One doesn't have to personally believe what one is teaching.

A barrister doesn't have to believe his client is innocent.

The larger issue here is not this exemption, it is the provision by the State of religious based education.

It would be better to debate this issue than having a proxy debate by discussing exemptions in employment legislation.

corelli

Teaching is a profession. One doesn't have to personally believe what one is teaching.

A barrister doesn't have to believe his client is innocent.

The larger issue here is not this exemption, it is the provision by the State of religious based education.

It would be better to debate this issue than having a proxy debate by discussing exemptions in employment legislation.
Ah, so lying to the kids is the answer!!

You are correct that there is a larger issue.

White Horse

Do Irish Catholic schools still teach in 2010 that homosexuality is intrinsically evil?
As far as I'm aware, homosexuality is hardly mentioned.

The only reference that I am aware of is in relation to a school's anti-bullying policy.

SlickWilly

Like many lads who went to catholic schools, I am convinced that some of my teachers were gay, however this was never an issue, nor should it be for the board of management of the school, but only because from their pov such teachers were either brothers and/or frothing @the mouth homophobes, at least ostensibly. I would have an issue with one psychotic brother, who was a pedarast who sublimated his tendecies towards the boys by beating the living shight out of us instead, sure in his psychopathic eyes, we were only there to tempt him!

gijoe

I remember prior to Lisbon 1 that Manuel Barroso gave some commitment to the Catholic Hierarchy that the Commission would not interfere with the employment act provisions that allow Catholic schools to appoint Catholic observant teachers. As a result of this commitment the Hierarchy made their statement that a Catholic could in good conscience vote Yes to Lisbon.

Are the Commission going back on their word?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I remember prior to Lisbon 1 that Manuel Barroso gave some commitment to the Catholic Hierarchy that the Commission would not interfere with the employment act provisions that allow Catholic schools to appoint Catholic observant teachers. As a result of this commitment the Hierarchy made their statement that a Catholic could in good conscience vote Yes to Lisbon.

Are the Commission going back on their word?
Would they ever!?!? That's seditious or blasphemous... or something along those lines.

See corporation tax and 'legally binding' guarantees. ;)

Bloody hell. I never knew this was an issue even. What the hell does it matter what a teachers sexual orientation is as long as they are good teachers, are of good character and are fully qualified for the job.

God's sake. I thought we had moved well past all this rubbish.

New Threads

Most Replies