Catholic sex education in schools including multi-denominational schools

Emily Davison

During the discussions on the 8th at the Dail Committee last week the question of what exactly passes for sex education in Irish schools came up. And the fact that in many cases it is Catholic sex education that seems to be the norm, even in non denominational schools:

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1202/924540-sex-education-schools/

Officials from the Departments of Education, and Health addressed the committee.

They explained that Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE) was mandatory in schools, but with one caveat; that the ethos of the school could influence how the course content was delivered.

Mostly run by Accord. And not regulated by the State.

Relationships and Sexuality Education Pilot Programme - Accord, Ireland

How do p.ie members feel about the programme. Do you know what they teach your children. Did you give your permission for Catholic orientated sex education. And is it time that children are given proper sex education including being warned that abstinance is not the reality in general and that the rhythm method is likely to see one pregnant.

edwin

During the discussions on the 8th at the Dail Committee last week the question of what exactly passes for sex education in Irish schools came up. And the fact that in many cases it is Catholic sex education that seems to be the norm, even in non denominational schools:

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2017/1202/924540-sex-education-schools/

Officials from the Departments of Education, and Health addressed the committee.

They explained that Relationships and Sexuality Education (RSE) was mandatory in schools, but with one caveat; that the ethos of the school could influence how the course content was delivered.

Mostly run by Accord. And not regulated by the State.

Relationships and Sexuality Education Pilot Programme - Accord, Ireland

How do p.ie members feel about the programme. Do you know what they teach your children. Did you give your permission for Catholic orientated sex education. And is it time that children are given proper sex education including being warned that abstinance is not the reality in general and that the rhythm method is likely to see one pregnant.
I received about as catholic an education as one can get and we were certainly never taught that abstinence is reality or that the rhythm method is the way to go. Lift your head out of that vat of bigotry please.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I received about as catholic an education as one can get and we were certainly never taught that abstinence is reality or that the rhythm method is the way to go. Lift your head out of that vat of bigotry please.
O so they refrain from teaching their teachings in the schools they run?

edwin

They do indeed. The catholic church has little day to day control of the schools as much as you like to imagine otherwise.

Emily Davison

I too had a mostly Catholic education and was taught zero about contraception. Or sex actually. How about you?

Emily Davison

Catholic teaching doesn't allow for the teaching of contraception other than the natural method. Their website says this:

Natural Family Planning - Accord, Ireland

An increasing number of women choose a natural method of managing their fertility for health reasons. Couples wishing to use a natural method to plan pregnancy need to learn to accurately identify the phases of fertility and infertility by observing and recording the indicators of fertility. This process needs to be assisted by a trained Fertility and Wellbeing practitioner. ACCORD fertility and wellbeing practitioners use modern methods of Natural Family Planning which do not rely on ‘Rhythm’ or ‘Calendar Calculations,’ but are based on a scientific and accurate understanding of fertility.

Nowhere on their website is a mention of a condom or the pill as a method. (unless I'm mistaken). In this day and age do parents think this kind of sex education is the optimium.

niall78

I too had a mostly Catholic education and was taught zero about contraception. Or sex actually. How about you?
Same here.

We did go to a nun every few months as part of religion class in small groups. She told us masturbation was a deadly sin when we were fifteen.

Toland

Website
Unless you have a different experience to relate, mine was pretty much the same as Edwin's.
The result of the efforts of my catholic educators:

Sex education?

What's that?

I'm in my early 50s, though, and I believe things have improved substantially since I was in school. They're certainly want to have.

Socratus O' Pericles

Toland

Website
They do indeed. The catholic church has little day to day control of the schools as much as you like to imagine otherwise.
It has complete day-to-day control of the schools they run. The fact that they refrain from exercising that day-to-day power is entirely motivated by political expedience imo.

Emily Davison

Same here.

We did go to a nun every few months as part of religion class in small groups. She told us masturbation was a deadly sin when we were fifteen.
So you did get some kind of information. Were you told what sex actually entailed? My nun would not have been able to utter the word materbation never mind explain it. There was some 'sex' chapter in a book that we were all giggling about but I don't recall getting any actual sex facts. I only found out, late, what sex was, because my younger sister found out from somebody else and told me.

Emily Davison

Kids have access to internet and the main stream media are much less coy than they were 40 and 50 years ago.
Cruimh you went to a Protestant school of some type one presumes. Did they have sex education there?

Cruimh

Cruimh you went to a Protestant school of some type one presumes. Did they have sex education there?
When we we were about 12 odd, ~ 1967, the class was split one day and the Headmaster took the boys and his wife took the girls. He gave us the rough details of his honeymoon night (seriously) and his wife told the girls about what her pet guinea pigs did. They were ever so jealous! At the time though most of us sat and squirmed with embarrassment at the thought of our parents doing "that" .....

Emily Davison

When we we were about 12 odd, ~ 1967, the class was split one day and the Headmaster took the boys and his wife took the girls. He gave us the rough details of his honeymoon night (seriously) and his wife told the girls about what her pet guinea pigs did. They were ever so jealous! At the time though most of us sat and squirmed with embarrassment at the thought of our parents doing "that" .....
LOL. His honeymoon. He must have been a virgin. Anyway that's pretty progressive sex education for 1967. But the embarrassment thing was big in our world back in the day. And no need for it at all.

Here the children in primary got three days of sex education. One day for girls, one for boys and one for both. No religion. Not sure if they were full days, must have been sessions. I don't remember signing a paper for it but perhaps I did. Part of state education.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies