• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Catholics must now not vote for Sinn Féin or Labour

Both Eamon Gilmore and Mary-Lou McDonald have said that their parties will be whipped in support of abortion legislation, presumably to include the 'risk of suicide'.

I'd argue that no Catholic can now continue to vote for either party in good conscience. In fact there is a moral imperative not to do so. I imagine that this will be made plain to Catholics up and down the country too.

I do not know what heed will be taken of such a position by the Catholic Church by what proportion of those who attend church at all, but it seems to me to be a needless shot in their own feet by the two parties, apparently beholden to their trendy liberal contingents. Why have a whip? Why not do what is routine and normal in the UK - leave it to a free vote of conscience?

It'll be interesting to see if the Catholic hierarchy are not too cowed by their own self-inflicted position to overcome what seems to have been relative timidity in the last few months and speak out directly against a vote for either party on the basis of their unnecessarily antagonistic decisions on the whip. I would expect them to do so now.

Say what you like - they have a right and indeed a moral duty, according to their own code, to say something, if they have the courage to do so. The position is entirely self-inflicted by both those parties. Why did they not just leave it to conscience, a free vote? They have now made it necessary for the Church to make clear that a vote for parties so-whipped is, in effect, a vote for abortion, and they MUST speak up against them.

ruserious

What's a Catholic? I'm an Irishman.

Cruimh

Both Eamon Gilmore and Mary-Lou McDonald have said that their parties will be whipped in support of abortion legislation, presumably to include the 'risk of suicide'.

I'd argue that no Catholic can now continue to vote for either party in good conscience. In fact there is a moral imperative not to do so. I imagine that this will be made plain to Catholics up and down the country too.

I do not know what heed will be taken of such a position by the Catholic Church by what proportion of those who attend church at all, but it seems to me to be a needless shot in their own feet by the two parties, apparently beholden to their trendy liberal contingents. Why have a whip? Why not do what is routine and normal in the UK - leave it to a free vote of conscience?

It'll be interesting to see if the Catholic hierarchy are not too cowed by their own self-inflicted position to overcome what seems to have been relative timidity in the last few months and speak out directly against a vote for either party on the basis of their unnecessarily antagonistic decisions on the whip. I would expect them to do so now.
How about divorced Catholics? or Catholics who use Birth Control?

stopdoingstuff

I don't see how a Catholic could vote for any party.

theloner

Can they not just vote for them then go to confession? :shock:

fontenoy

Well thank GOD I'm an atheist then. Still be able to vote SF.

LamportsEdge

Of course they have a right to 'say something'- after all they are technically for the most part anyway Irish citizens even if they aren't very good republicans in that they seem to think they can be both citizens of a republic and at the same time in thrall to the wishes of Europe's last absolute monarch in Rome.

The other side of it is of course that the citizens of the republic can become quite annoyed with the footdragging on this issue having been consulted twice by referendum and have a right to ask why their representatives in toto are not following clear instructions on a clear mandate for this legislation.

The citizens of the Republic may not all have the advantage of a pulpit from which to draw the attention of congregation to a political issue but they do have a right to insist quietly that the legislators get on and do the job they are overly remunerated to do.

Don't you agree?

ruserious

Listen Toxic, I have a by-and-large conservative view on abortion but to drag the debate down to religion and voting is weak.

theloner

No, that's what's called Presumption - it doesn't work...
I had you down as a sensible, level headed poster until today! It's true what they say, you shouldn't meet your heroes! :p

Of course they have a right to 'say something'- after all they are technically for the most part anyway Irish citizens even if they aren't very good republicans in that they seem to think they can be both citizens of a republic and at the same time in thrall to the wishes of Europe's last absolute monarch in Rome.

The other side of it is of course that the citizens of the republic can become quite annoyed with the footdragging on this issue having been consulted twice by referendum and have a right to ask why their representatives in toto are not following clear instructions on a clear mandate for this legislation.

The citizens of the Republic may not all have the advantage of a pulpit from which to draw the attention of congregation to a political issue but they do have a right to insist quietly that the legislators get on and do the job they are overly remunerated to do.

Don't you agree?
People are free to decide what they want, even if 99% of the population favour abortion on demand. That does not nullify the fact that the Catholic Church has a right and a duty to make a stand against this, whether anyone listens to it or not.

D

Deleted member 17573

Again, this involves only Catholics, and I'm sure some, perhaps many, will pay no heed. We are entitled to stand up for our own moral code.
Yes - and you do so by abiding by that moral code, not be imposing it on me.