Celbridge FF Councillor to be appointed by Gov to District Court

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Government has announced this morning that they decided yesterday to have Paul Kelly appointed to the District Court.

The Government statement included a brief bio and refers to his many years of experience, which wouldn't leave anyone to doubt his qualifications for the appointment.

Biographical Details for Mr. Kelly:

Mr. Paul Kelly was born in 1957. He received a B.C.L. Degree from U.C.D before qualifying as a solicitor in 1979.

From 1982 to date he has operated his own practice in Leixlip, Co. Kildare. Mr. Kelly's practice includes such areas as conveyancing, tort, family law, employment and industrial relations as well as criminal work.
They did leave one thing out, Paul Kelly is a Fianna Fail Councillor for the Celbridge area of Kildare County Council, I spoke to him this morning and he confirmed the appointment, confirming he'd be resigning from the council and party today.

Mushroom

It'll be the Green's turn to appoint the next District Justice, I suppose.

I wonder if they have any suporters left to elevate to sinecures. If not, what odds that Go-go would fancy becoming Mister Justice Gogarty?

im axeled

is there not usually a flurry of such appointments before a goverment leaves office ?.

jerry springer

Max he can work is 11 years then retires on massive pension of approx 100k per year. Nice if you can get it . Watch the massive amount of apponitments between now Jan been made

Aindriu

Jobs for the boys again I see :rolleyes:

Mushroom

Max he can work is 11 years then retires on massive pension of approx 100k per year. Nice if you can get it . Watch the massive amount of apponitments between now Jan been made
Maybe a dedicated thread should be opened to catch all of the beneficiaries of "Dissolution Honours" - we could start with The Right Honourable Paudie O'Shea PhD, MBA who was thrown a BIM sinecure by the Minister for Free Cheese last month.

(Unfortunately this one was slipped in too early to be considered:-

THE YOUNGER brother of Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey has been nominated by the Government for appointment as a judge of the District Court. Dermot Dempsey (53) is a solicitor with almost 30 years’ experience who has run his own practice, Dermot M Dempsey and Company, in Athboy, Co Meath, since 1984. He is a graduate of UCD.

Mr Dempsey was nominated at this week’s Cabinet meeting following a recommendation by the Judicial Appointments Advisory Board (JAAB).)

Last edited:

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
In fairness to Paul Kelly, I think he is more than qualified (politics aside). For anyone who has sat in on a meeting of KCC, Paul's contributions are constructive and well-informed, particularly on legal fine details. He's on the other side of the chamber from my seat, but I have always respected his approach and I wish him well with his new appointment.

turdsl

Sarah Carey made a point the other night that the new government will have a hard time
Fianna Fail have their agents in many position due to political appointments over the last 10 years,

Mushroom

In fairness to Paul Kelly, I think he is more than qualified (politics aside). For anyone who has sat in on a meeting of KCC, Paul's contributions are constructive and well-informed, particularly on legal fine details. He's on the other side of the chamber from my seat, but I have always respected his approach and I wish him well with his new appointment.

That's good to hear. Thanks.

turdsl

That may be true,but it still goes back to the Dev old principle,Two people of equal credentials
the award must go to the Fianna Fail man.

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
The Government shouldn't even have the power to appoint judges. We should have checks and balances with a US-style parliamentary-confirmation process to weed out the good from the bad. I know nothing about the appointee in this case and am only criticising the appointment process because it lacks democratic-accountability.

enby

The Government shouldn't even have the power to appoint judges. We should have checks and balances with a US-style parliamentary-confirmation process to weed out the good from the bad. I know nothing about the appointee in this case and am only criticising the appointment process because it lacks democratic-accountability.
Great idea: we could have the fate of nominees in the hands of a Dail Committee containing the likes of Lowry, Ferris and Beverley

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Great idea: we could have the fate of nominees in the hands of a Dail Committee containing the likes of Lowry, Ferris and Beverley
At least they are democratically accountable for their decisions to the people.

grainne whale

It must be a while ago, from what I recall, did he not loose his seat in KCC in the last local election, but is still on Leixlip Town Commission.

CorkHurler

Not unusual for serving politicians to be appointed as judges, the Workers party appointed Pat McCartan and Fine Gael appointed Sean O Leary and Michael O Leary during their last term in power.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies