Celebrities and Trump - "sorry" seems to be the easiest word

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Here's an odd example of the modern phenomenon of celebrities wanting to be seen to have political opinions that match those of their fans, or at least have political opinions that don't upset their fans.

Shania Twain made some remarks that indicated that she would have voted for Trump in 2016 if she had been in the position to do so, and, after that drew a negative reaction from some of her fans, she is now apologising for her remarks.

She made the remarks during an interview with the Guardian, but it was a general interview, and not specifically about Trump. However the remarks were picked up and that led to the negative social media reaction.

Shania Twain apologises after saying she would vote for Donald Trump - BBC News

Personally I think she should have stuck with her initial remarks, no matter what the reaction to them was.

We have endless discussion on p.ie about freedom of speech. My continuing view about the subject is that there is freedom of speech, but that people have to realise that there can (and often will) be consequences with respect to what you say. Those consequences can be either legal or social in nature.

There has been a social consequence to what Twain said, and she has now apologised presumably to try to make amends with a section of her fan base. And she has the right to do that too.

If I was a celebrity I'd consider carefully what my positions on various subjects were, and be ready to state those positions for subjects that I was prepared to talk about, and defend those positions if challenged. On the other hand if I wasn't prepared to talk about certain subjects (because I knew in advance that they'd be devisive) then I'd simply say that I had no opinion about those subjects.

Would the latter be suppression of freedom of speech? It maybe could be viewed as that, but most of us have enough sense to know when not to say what we think because it could lead to negative social consequences.

Dame_Enda

Fair play to Kanye West for standing his ground and Kim Kardashian for defending his right to be a "free thinker".

I strongly suspect that theres a lot of industry pressure on celebs to be anti-Trump.

GDPR

She comes across as an insane person in that article. Her bitterness and rancour towards her ex and her former friend are just over the top

rainmaker

Administrator
Fair play to Kanye West for standing his ground and Kim Kardashian for defending his right to be a "free thinker".
Kanye West a free thinker? As endorsed by Kim Kardashian - wow!- two of the most vacuous airheads on the planet.

If you're looking to an empty headed rapper and a reality TV star famous for plastic surgery to guide you through the worlds complexities then you probably deserve the world you live in.

For context, here are some other insightful gems Kim Kardashian has shared with the world:

"Well, a bear can juggle and stand on a ball and he's talented, but he's not famous. Do you know what I mean?"

"I had dinner with Obama once, and he just seemed very firm about the change, and that's, like, his motto."

"North has a better direction. I don't think we'll go with another direction. I think South is so stupid. It's the stupidest thing ever."

Last edited:

rainmaker

Administrator
Yeah, here are couple more of the free thinkers intellectual gems:

‘Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books.’

‘What do you mean by @JustinBieber was my favourite song of 2015’

Read more at Kanye West Quotes That Completely Baffled Us

razorblade

Why would you apologise about who you would vote for isn't that the whole point of democracy.

Betson

Why would you apologise about who you would vote for isn't that the whole point of democracy.
That is all on it's head now , unless you think the 'right way' you are a target. Look at the abuse that West chap is getting just for saying he likes Trump. at least I see another high profile Rapper chap(can't think of his name) has come out to defend him anyway saying although he does not agree with him he should have every right to say without the torrent of abuse been thrown at him.

Watching the Bill Maher show the other week and Bill who is a big anti Trump liberal himself and another guest were talking about how on the hard left now how intolerance is growing where there is no debate or different points of view anymore , as far as they(some on the hard left) are concerned there is just one view on all issues and anyone who deviates slightly away from that at all is the enemy that you cannot talk and must destroy to etc etc.

Analyzer

She comes across as an insane person in that article. Her bitterness and rancour towards her ex and her former friend are just over the top
I read the BBC link. And there was no reference to her husband. Or the woman who grabbed her husband.

Given the level of emotion involved, should we expect Twain to be ecstatic over her husband's affair ?

Or are you simply kicking Twain so s to unleash your own nastiness ?

GDPR

FGS, Shania Twain - her Guardian interview was a mess. For most of it she was telling the reporter that she wanted to use the word "c*unt" to describe the woman her ex husband had an affair with.

She then said "c*unt, c*unt, c*unt" several times until the reporter was desperate to get her onto another subject.

From her Swiss chalet and with her $350m - she harps on about ALL her personal tragedies and ALL those that have slighted her. Her priveliged perch has rendered her completely oblivious to what’s happening in the real world. She is completely irrelevant and worthy of no further discussion.
Shania Twain - sashay away.

"You dont impress me much."

Analyzer

FGS, Shania Twain - her Guardian interview was a mess. For most of it she was telling the reporter that she wanted to use the word "c*unt" to describe the woman her ex husband had an affair with.

She then said "c*unt, c*unt, c*unt" several times until the reporter was desperate to get her onto another subject.
Excellent. I have no doubt you will be bullsh!tting about the lack of empathy of other posters on other threads.

I enjoyed that.

Shania Twain is sexy. No doubt about it. Even if she had about five face lifts.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

I strongly suspect that theres a lot of industry pressure on celebs to be anti-Trump.

That's right.

I don't agree with anything that Trump has come up with, but he was elected, and it isn't illegal to support him.

The anti-Trump social media mob routinely attacks those who have a different political opinion to themselves. That's the very definition of a state of political correctness - that only certain political views are acceptable, and that anyone who has views that are not in line with the acceptable views must be hounded.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Kanye West a free thinker? As endorsed by Kim Kardashian - wow!- two of the most vacuous airheads on the planet.

If you're looking to an empty headed rapper and a reality TV star famous for plastic surgery to guide you through the worlds complexities then you probably deserve the world you live in.

For context, here are some other insightful gems Kim Kardashian has shared with the world:

"Well, a bear can juggle and stand on a ball and he's talented, but he's not famous. Do you know what I mean?"

"I had dinner with Obama once, and he just seemed very firm about the change, and that's, like, his motto."

"North has a better direction. I don't think we'll go with another direction. I think South is so stupid. It's the stupidest thing ever."

The Dame just likes anyone who supports Trump.

In fact people like the Dame are desperate to find any celebrities who do support Trump.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
The reason is obvious - she doesn't want to turn off a section of her fan base, and in the process lose income.

It's all about the money, as usual.

That's why I said that if I was in that position and didn't care about the issue I'd simply say that I had no opinion on the subject.

Betson

In fact people like the Dame are desperate to find any celebrities who do support Trump.
Now you are just talking nonsense , Hollywood legends such as Jon Voight and James Woods are but two of a wide range of celebrities who voted for 'The Donald' , not to mention sporting greats such as Mike Tyson and Bill Belichick, I could go on all night.

But they don't matter , it is the normal Joe and Josephine soaps who put Trump in the White house and must of them are very happy with their decision.

GDPR

I dont even think Shania Twain does support Trump, FWIW.

Clearly she’s courting a group considered part of her fan base, Unfortunately, it was always a very small part. She was very popular with gays and young women who would have identified as feminists.

Her new album NOW - her first in 15 years - debuted at at no. 1 on Billboard and then tanked to 43 the next week and off the charts after that. She has barely sold 350,000 copies. That's devastatingly bad for a woman who sold more for one album than any other female. She's got no buzz and since she can't sing live she never appears on country award shows.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
That is all on it's head now , unless you think the 'right way' you are a target. Look at the abuse that West chap is getting just for saying he likes Trump. at least I see another high profile Rapper chap(can't think of his name) has come out to defend him anyway saying although he does not agree with him he should have every right to say without the torrent of abuse been thrown at him.

Watching the Bill Maher show the other week and Bill who is a big anti Trump liberal himself and another guest were talking about how on the hard left now how intolerance is growing where there is no debate or different points of view anymore , as far as they(some on the hard left) are concerned there is just one view on all issues and anyone who deviates slightly away from that at all is the enemy that you cannot talk and must destroy to etc etc.

I like Maher - while he is anti-Trump he IS an actual liberal. He's willing to let people have, and express, whatever political views they actually hold.

That's why it's idiotic to lump actual liberals in with the hard-leftists that you mention. The alt-right can't help doing so though.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Clearly she’s courting a group considered part of her fan base, Unfortunately, it was always a very small part. She was very popular with gays and young women who would have identified as feminists.

Her new album NOW - her first in 15 years - debuted at at no. 1 on Billboard and then tanked to 43 the next week and off the charts after that. She has barely sold 350,000 copies. That's devastatingly bad for a woman who sold more for one album than any other female. She's got no buzz and since she can't sing live she never appears on country award shows.

She's a has-been.

It happens all the time in the entertainment world.

She had her time and now it has gone.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

True enough.

But some throwaway remarks about Trump brought this reaction to her remarks.

My point was that there is an expectation of conformity from some people these days - even if you say something casually that appears to show support for Trump, a certain demographic (leftists) will try to make your life hell.

Betson

I like Maher - while he is anti-Trump he IS an actual liberal. He's willing to let people have, and express, whatever political views they actually hold.

That's why it's idiotic to lump actual liberals in with the hard-leftists that you mention. The alt-right can't help doing so though.
I agree , he and and his guest were making the point that the hard left which is getting harder and harder is going to do more damage than good in the progressive movement if it keeps going the way it is.

I don't like much of his views but Maher is good on free speech , even speech he does not agree with. He often gets attacked by those on the left because he believes conservatives should a right to air their views too and he has defended the likes of Ann Coulter etc whom he disagrees with on almost everything but still recognizes her right to speak her views.

Jezza15

US politics is so polarised right now that it would be unwise for any celeb to come out as supporting either Trump or whoever the leader of the libtards is now, unless they're pretty sure they don't get, and don't need, the 'other side' to like them.

New Threads

Most Replies