• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Celebrity calls for gun control dismissed as 'hypocrisy' - Violent movies to blame for gun violence?

Skyrocket

A group of Hollywood celebrities, musicians and artists have come together to support a call for gun control by the 'Demand a Plan' lobby effort and have produced a video calling for people to lobby their politicians on the issue. The video - 'Demand A Plan To End Gun Violence' was released on December 21st has attracted over 6 million views to date:

[video=youtube;64G5FfG2Xpg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&64G5FfG2Xpg[/video]

However, the appearance of a significant number of celebrities who have starred in violent movies and other television programmes with violent scenes have sparked a backlash against the video with those involved being accused of hypocrisy with opponents citing the role of violence in movies as a contributory factor to gun violence. This has led to the production of a video on December 25th titled 'Demand A Plan - Demand Celebrities Go F*CK Themselves!' which has attracted almost 100,000 views to date and shows the celebrities engaged in gun violence in movies or other programmes:

**Strong Language and Graphic Violence**

[video=youtube;hxRlpRcorEU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&hxRlpRcorEU[/video]

Many studies have been conducted over many years on media violence and aggression and they have all come to the same conclusion: that viewing violence increases aggression (http://www.psychology.iastate.edu/faculty/caa/abstracts/2000-2004/01ba.ap.pdf pdf page 4 'The Scientific Evidence').

Is it hypocritical of celebrities who star in violent movies and programmes to blame lax gun laws for violent shootings and call for more gun control and should a campaign also be initiated to decrease gun violence in the media (movies, TV series', etc.)?

The Field Marshal

Guilt Rules.

Tea Shark

If the lowest common denominator is unable to seperate a fictional yarn from the real world...

Ribeye

Poor idiots,

Disgraceful video, however the rebuttal is beautiful,

I wish Jess Alba and Jen Aniston hadn't been in it, ruined for me now so they are,

ruserious

:roll: Once again, P.iefolk pick an axe to grind with people who are trying to do a good thing.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
Many studies have been conducted over many years on media violence and aggression and they have all come to the same conclusion: that viewing violence increases aggression
Is that so? Hmm..never had much of an effect on me. I enjoy a night in front of the telly watching explosions,shootings,knifings etc, yet I have never hit another person in anger
Oddly enough I just thought of an exchange between Homer Simpson and "Mel Gibson" with Homer asking, "How did the country lose its way, Mel? When did we stop rooting for the man with a flame-thrower or an acid-spraying gun of some kind?"

Last edited:

Twin Towers

Is it hypocritical of celebrities who star in violent movies and programmes to blame lax gun laws for violent shootings and call for more gun control and should a campaign also be initiated to decrease gun violence in the media (movies, TV series', etc.)?
Of course it is and of course there should be.

Bren Boru

Poor idiots,

Disgraceful video, however the rebuttal is beautiful,

I wish Jess Alba and Jen Aniston hadn't been in it, ruined for me now so they are,
Anything to be different Ribeye.

At least you're consistent.

Tea Shark

Of course it is and of course there should be.
That is ridiculous. If a minority of people are too stupid to enjoy fiction vicariously without becoming deranged, why should the sentient and aware majority be disadvantaged?

Ribeye

:roll: Once again, P.iefolk pick an axe to grind with people who are trying to do a good thing.
Damn right Rus, "the road to hell" an all that,

Those people are using their profile to atemp to userp the Constitution,

I am duty bound to rebuff them,

And not even my personal, em, affection, cough, for Miss Aniston will stop me:)

Has Piers Morgan been booted out yet, or hanged or whatever?

Ribeye

Tin Foil Hat

Hollywood exports its god-awful movies all over the world. Yet America is on its own on the western world with its shocking levels of spree killings and other gun crime.
It ain't the movies.

Niall996

Great retort vid. Some silly looking celebs there. I'm surprised it hasn't racked far more views though.

Tea Party Patriot

Anything to be different Ribeye.

At least you're consistent.
I have to agree with him, no matter how hot a woman is if she is the wrong politics you wouldn't want her for a relationship and kids, can't have the kids being influenced by the left wing.

Ribeye

I have to agree with him, no matter how hot a woman is if she is the wrong politics you wouldn't want her for a relationship and kids, can't have the kids being influenced by the left wing.
Snigger:)

Niall996

Have to disagree. If she's hot enough, her politics wouldn't matter. I could quite easily see myself with a hot loyalist lady! That would be interesting.

Tin Foil Hat

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the answer to the age old question, "How the fukk do we still have hillbillies?".

Colin M

How many of the people in the video have had armed bodyguards?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies