Celebrity Deaths 2020

McTell

I loved watching the Irish showjumping team, albeit Mr Ringrose would have been way too early for me to notice.//

Me too, but was told stories when a teen, by farm neighbours who had horses, and for them Ringrose was a god. A whole new world beckoned for me on 4 legs, and the women involved were richer, sportier, fitter, cleverer.... I was hooked.

Then after 4 years my first motorbike, smelly leather jacket, a lid, whole other new world.

I feel a bit sorry for kids today who experience the world thru a screen.

McTell

Finbarr Nolan 1952-2020

"Religion and belief in God has gone," he said somewhat ruefully in more recent times. "What I did is very hard to understand, maybe very hard to believe and people became very sceptical... they thought it is a con job."

Paddyc

Forbes reckon he is worth about $200 million. He's shifted over 100 million album units. That's before you even get to ongoing royalties. I know that big stadium gigs stopped being profitable for artists 30 years ago or more when it all became a bit silly and outfits like Motorhead were turning up with 11 container trucks worth of equipment.

Since the 70s gigs have always only been about keeping the band in the public consciousness whereas the real income comes from sales which used to be significant and is now a trickle from streaming but probably for the modern band it'll be things like the ability to sell stuff with the music or hit the christmas market just right or whatever.

The indie scene and the smaller avant garde music scene is probably the only place where bands need to gig in order to make a living.
All of that has changed utterly in the 21st Century and bands aren't making a red cent from record sales or streaming unless they are Arianna Grande or Taylor Swift.

The economics of touring has changed utterly and is the only thing keeping bands afloat at the moment. They're all accepting sponsorship, ticket and merchandise prices have gone up hugely and most of them are doing "meet and greet" VIP deals for big bucks.

Dylan being Dylan has been touring constantly since about 1988 but it's a small, tight operation - the big bands and backing singers and pyrotechnics are long gone.

He's probably made a few bucks from advertising and from his whiskey and he always invested in property but the real money is from touring.

between the bridges

McTell

The spaghetti western music guy :(

ruserious

The spaghetti western music guy :(

Unreal talent. He was only in Dublin for a concert a few years back and had planned to buy tickets but for one reason or another never did. Those spaghetti westerns are timeless.

McTell

And not forgetting the theme used by a million sexxy strippers and pole dancers....

raetsel

Unreal talent. He was only in Dublin for a concert a few years back and had planned to buy tickets but for one reason or another never did. Those spaghetti westerns are timeless.
I remember that and had thought of buying tickets for my son who's a big spaghetti western fan but never got around to it. Coincidentally another legendary nonagenarian Italian who was still working regularly, Franco Zeffirelli, died around this time last year. He directed a lot of operas for the Verona festival over the years. His most recent production was a brilliant version of Aida which was still running after his death last summer. I got tickets for that and it was an unforgettable experience.

recedite

Gabriel's Oboe, one of my all-time favourite instrumental pieces.
But what's up with that video clip? I was expecting to see the priest floating downriver strapped onto the raft on his back, just waiting for it to flip over.
Mindfulness is all very well, but a bit of dramatic effect adds power and emotion to the music, I reckon.

McTell

Here goes amigos, the big one in 6....

neiphin

1594068294428.jpeg

AhNowStop

Great cover photo of Ringrose in action... classic snapshot there and I think it does convey some of the difficulty in what riders do at these major events :)

View attachment 25013
Great photo & great rider (must look him up) and what a beautiful horse

The most majestic beautiful things on the planet ..
Why they let us away with putting a saddle on them I dont quite know but I for one am damn glad they do .... nothing comes close.

Not a fan of Churchill but he was pretty astute at times ....
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.”
"When you are on a great horse, you have the best seat you will ever have."

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom