• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Celebrity to be charged over mild race-related joke.

O

Oscurito

I'm no fan of Paul Gascoigne's. I've always found him crude and it wouldn't surprise me if he did harbour some prejudices. However, I'm just wondering what I'm missing here about this case.

It goes back to last November when he was performing his comedy show (who knew?) in Wolverhampton. He spotted a black security guard in an unlit corner of the stage and joked that he couldn't see whether or not the man in question was smiling or not.

That's it - and for that quip, Gascoigne will have to appear in court on June 17th.

For the record, it's not even certain if the security guard heard the remark. Gascoigne shouldn't have said it but could one really conclude from the remark that anything derogatory was intended? People of darker complexion are harder to see in the dark - in the same way that pinky-white Caucasians are harder to see against lighter backgrounds and to say such a thing is - IMHO - no more offensive than quipping about red-haired people or tall people.

We need to demystify race and be a lot more relaxed about it. It's just another aspect of someone's identity - no more important than their hair colour or shoe size. I don't think that will happen when society is tip-toeing around it for fear that ANY mention of it is bound to offend.

Paul Gascoigne to face racism charges over comedy show gag

flavirostris

This is why Rotherham happened. People afraid of being sent to court for racism. Libtards like Amadan O Riordan want similar legislation here.

Remember when he called the guards on Darren Scully for insensitive remarks.

Gin Soaked

Whoever is agitating that really, really, needs to get out more, or a lot less.

This would be the retired footballer who was known for being not that bright?

Half Nelson

This leftist, politically-correct bs is more of what's steadily driving voters to the so-called 'right', but could more correctly be called the place of common sense.

redacted

This is why Rotherham happened. People afraid of being sent to court for racism. Libtards like Amadan O Riordan want similar legislation here.

You could just shorten all your posts to "libtards" and save everyone a lot of time.

O

Oscurito

Whoever is agitating that really, really, needs to get out more, or a lot less.

This would be the retired footballer who was known for being not that bright?
And his "battle" with alcoholism.

So far it's about 50-0 to alcoholism.....

Boy M5

Crazy.
I sat at "charity" events in the UK 15 years back when there was nasty racist jokes aimed at minorities, including us.

That weird looking Hague fella who shared hotel rooms with an aide to save money told anti Irish jokes at an event around the same time

Jerry Sadowitz - a Glaswegian Jewish comedian - who can't get on UK TV despite being a brilliant comic & magician - because of his material, which could be construed as racist. Yet his act attacks everyone from atheist to the pope from blacks to white racists.
This is still his act. Incidentally he tried to publicise Savile's crimes when he was still alive & able to sue.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Insensitive remarks? He refused to deal with black Africans. Actions, not remarks.

His remarks about the dead three year old Syrian boy who washed up on the beach - in a letter to the Sunday Times - were "insensitive", one might argue.

As for your reference to libtards and derogatory reference to O'Riordan....well, they just remind readers of the level of your intellect.

Oh, you're a known racist too.

By the way, I think that this decision by the CPS is utterly ridiculous.

GDPR

Interestingly enough he never faced charges for beating his ex-wife "on a regular basis" for two years during their marriage - something he has admitted by the way. He doesnt deny it.

He attacked her as recently as 2013, on the platform of a railway station, in public. They ve been divorced for years, but as hes the father of her son Regan, she still keeps in touch.

Hes an alkie who is being enabled by press because it all makes a good story - they cant wait till he dies, hopefully in some messy way - and a handful of idiot fans.

This prosecution is a waste of time.

talkingshop

I'm no fan of Paul Gascoigne's. I've always found him crude and it wouldn't surprise me if he did harbour some prejudices. However, I'm just wondering what I'm missing here about this case.

It goes back to last November when he was performing his comedy show (who knew?) in Wolverhampton. He spotted a black security guard in an unlit corner of the stage and joked that he couldn't see whether or not the man in question was smiling or not.

That's it - and for that quip, Gascoigne will have to appear in court on June 17th.

For the record, it's not even certain if the security guard heard the remark. Gascoigne shouldn't have said it but could one really conclude from the remark that anything derogatory was intended? People of darker complexion are harder to see in the dark - in the same way that pinky-white Caucasians are harder to see against lighter backgrounds and to say such a thing is - IMHO - no more offensive than quipping about red-haired people or tall people.

We need to demystify race and be a lot more relaxed about it. It's just another aspect of someone's identity - no more important than their hair colour or shoe size. I don't think that will happen when society is tip-toeing around it for fear that ANY mention of it is bound to offend.

Paul Gascoigne to face racism charges over comedy show gag
What was the joke even supposed to be - that the guy was dark so Gascoigne couldn't see him against whatever background he was standing against? If that's the case then he should have been able to see him smile (white teeth) so the joke doesn't even make sense.

But clearly you cannot make any joke about a person's skin colour? So if a black person made a joke about a white person standing against a white background ("Oh you're there - I didn't notice you!") that would also be racist? (or maybe it has to be a joke about a dark-skinned person for the joke to be racist - I don't know).

This extreme sensitivity is actually insane. The true meaning of racism was supposed to be considering some race was actually inferior to another or others. Then it moved down to even making a mildly disparaging remark about a particular race (which is not the same as considering that race inferior). Now apparently making any reference at all to a person's race is racism? Even something clearly not pejorative as this was - I mean was there any suggestion in this, rather silly, joke, that being black is a bad thing in any way?

Dame_Enda

That's certainly not the worst I've heard in terms of racist language and arguably I'm not sure its even racist.

When you have a multicultural society everyone is on eggshells from fear they'll will offend minorities however unintentionally. But of course it's never the other way around. When was the last time a member of an ethnic minority was charged with incitement to hatred?

O

Oscurito

What was the joke even supposed to be - that the guy was dark so Gascoigne couldn't see him against whatever background he was standing against? If that's the case then he should have been able to see him smile (white teeth) so the joke doesn't even make sense.

But clearly you cannot make any joke about a person's skin colour? So if a black person made a joke about a white person standing against a white background ("Oh you're there - I didn't notice you!") that would also be racist? (or maybe it has to be a joke about a dark-skinned person for the joke to be racist - I don't know).

This extreme sensitivity is actually insane. The true meaning of racism was supposed to be considering some race was actually inferior to another or others. Then it moved down to even making a mildly disparaging remark about a particular race (which is not the same as considering that race inferior). Now apparently making any reference at all to a person's race is racism? Even something clearly not pejorative as this was - I mean was there any suggestion in this, rather silly, joke, that being black is a bad thing in any way?
Well, I don't think there was. And when you see what other stuff he's done in the last few years (see examples given by other posters further up this thread), he's done stuff that's far worse for which he hasn't been charged.

talkingshop

Well, I don't think there was. And when you see what other stuff he's done in the last few years (see examples given by other posters further up this thread), he's done stuff that's far worse for which he hasn't been charged.
The funny thing is that bringing of the charge itself almost seems to have some kind of racist assumption behind it - almost as if being black is this hideous disability, that it is grossly insensitive to refer to. As I said, if a black person made a joke to a white person - "what happened to you, you're as white as a sheet, even whiter than usual" - would that be racist, would the CPS charge the black person? Somehow I think not - the implication being that whiteness is ok.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies