Celia Larkin's appointment--Cronyism or what!!

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
The public finances and public positions aren't there to help Bertie clear his conscience over his exes. I'm amazed at the arrogance of this step - hopefully as it's only the interim board, some better appointments will be made for the full one.

I'm not surprised Michael Martin had trouble defending the decision, there really aren't any supporting arguments.

BarryW

Deep Throat said:
THE Government was accused of “political cronyism” last night following the confirmation that the Taoiseach’s former partner Celia Larkin will be appointed to the interim board of a new powerful State consumer agency
A story that seemed to escape beneath the radar reecently was Noel Dempsey's appointment of an Ogra FFer from Meath (surprise surprise) to the RTE Authority.

I can't remember where I read it, but Dempsey made the appointment on the basis of rewarding her for "stepping into the breach" and running for the Udaras election when no-one else would.

Is this the sort of basis on which appointments to State Boards whould be made??

BarryW

For those of you who may be interested.....
When Celia opened her doors in early 2002, she offered the following:

Bikini wax €15
Brazilian wax €40
St Tropez full body tan €50.79
and reiki ("a simple, natural healing method using the laying-on of hands to transmit energy") €57.14

And this is the woman who's going to be protectectins us poor consumers??

May god have mercy on us all

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
BarryW said:

Bikini wax €15
Brazilian wax €40
and reiki ("a simple, natural healing method using the laying-on of hands to transmit energy") €57.14

I have no idea whether that's value or not Barry - I suppose we'll have to rely on you as our bikini wax watchdog.

As for the Noel Dempsey thing - I'm surprised at someone getting onto a state board, but its pretty routine for them to get better paid advisor positions. A former Ógra heavyweight advises Mary Hannafin for a shade under €73,000 of tax payers money.

qtman

Deep Throat said:
THE Government was accused of “political cronyism” last night following the confirmation that the Taoiseach’s former partner Celia Larkin will be appointed to the interim board of a new powerful State consumer agency.
Bertie's fond of looking after his ex's alright. The former Mrs Ahern was given one of the places in the Newgrange chamber for the Summer Solistice in 2004.

I'm sure she would have prefered a plum job on a State board, however.

Celia is probably planning her outfit already. No doubt there'll be a spread in VIP, and a tour of "luxury" hotels in the Midlands where Celia can explain to Mna na HEireann how they too can "dress for sucess".

For a small fee, of course.

meriwether

BarryW said:

Bikini wax €15
Brazilian wax €40

How much for a back-sack-and-crack wax? we need to be told.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
Celia Larkin is a successful, intelligent businesswoman. She has a wealth of experience that she can bring to bear in her new role as a board member of the National Consumer Agency.

Before establishing her own chain of beauty salons, she spent over 10 years working at the heart of Government. As political appointees go she is very qualified.

I expected this type of reaction from the Sun or Star but I’m astonished to think in 2005 the so-called enlightened members of Politics.ie can’t look beyond a persons gender and previous relationship history before casting a judgement on them!

Trojanhorse

TKwhiskers said:
Celia Larkin is a successful, intelligent businesswoman. She has a wealth of experience that she can bring to bear in her new role as a board member of the National Consumer Agency.

Before establishing her own chain of beauty salons, she spent over 10 years working at the heart of Government. As political appointees go she is very qualified.

I expected this type of reaction from the Sun or Star but I’m astonished to think in 2005 the so-called enlightened members of Politics.ie can’t look beyond a persons gender and previous relationship history before casting a judgement on them!

Well said TK.....

Hhahahaha....now the begrudgers what do ye have to say to that!!!!

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
TKwhiskers said:

A chain with all of 2 stores? which appears to have lost money in 2003...
how is she any different to the hundreds, nay, thousands of other irish women (and men) who have run businesses up and down the country? And her time at the heart of government was while as paramour of the leader of FF and his direct appointee. She didn't sit any civil service exams to get the gig. I'm not implying she's an eejit but how do we know she is intelligent. This is the Mary Archer defence and we all know how that worked out.

No one on the thread has had a go at her for her gender, it is her relationship with the Taoiseach that appears to be the make or break on this.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Michael Martin's defence on the news is that we should 'turn this on it's head and ask why should she prevented from serving because of her former relationship'. I agree, ability and experience should be the criteria, and I doubt she's the most capable candidate for the job. No disrespect to those in the beauty business, but how does that qualify one for a job advocating consumer interests - indeed how does it qualify one to sit on a board which is establishing a body to do just that.

Fianna Fáil can bleat on about how wonderful Celia is, but that doesn't deal with the issue at hand. Where was the advertisement for the position? What criteria were used to select the nominee? How many names were considered? What made Ms Larkin stand out above those (who must surely have included the Consumer Association of Ireland and their 40 years experience at this)?

We all know that state and sem-state bodies are littered with favourites, but the level of arrogance Ahern has shown in doing this when everyone can see it for what it is is astounding. Would the appointment have gone through if Mary Harney was still the relevant Minister? I doubt it.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
KingKane said:
A chain with all of 2 stores? which appears to have lost money in 2003...
how is she any different to the hundreds, nay, thousands of other irish women (and men) who have run businesses up and down the country? And her time at the heart of government was while as paramour of the leader of FF and his direct appointee. She didn't sit any civil service exams to get the gig. I'm not implying she's an eejit but how do we know she is intelligent. This is the Mary Archer defence and we all know how that worked out.

No one on the thread has had a go at her for her gender, it is her relationship with the Taoiseach that appears to be the make or break on this.
The two stores were set up in 2001. I think it’s a little unreasonable to start criticising Ceila’s business acumen because the company posted modest losses in its first two years of trading. Accounts for 2004 have yet to be posted they will give a fairer assessment of how the company is performing.

It is precisely because of her background, working with ordinary people that she particularly qualified for the role. Ceila managed the Taoiseach’s constituency office for several years; the office handles over 1500 general queries a week from the Taoiseach’s constituents. Anyone that knows Bertie knows he doesn’t suffer fools or incompetence gladly, if Ceila hadn’t made the cut she wouldn’t have gotten or been kept in the job.

As for her friendship with the Taoiseach – I can only see their continuing friendship and her access to him as of benefit to the board of the National Consumer Agency and consumers in general.

Vietato

These watchdog and ombudsmen jobs seem to be biased in favour of women.
For example the telecoms ombudsman ia a woman as seem to be all her spokespeople and the people who answer the phones there. They ain't exactly an advertisement for women's ability to get a job done either.

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
Celia Larkin is a successful, intelligent businesswoman
Beauty at Blue Door Ltd. has racked up severe accumulated losses since it was set up.
Is this what you class as a "successful businesswoman"?!

TKwhiskers said:
Before establishing her own chain of beauty salons, she spent over 10 years working at the heart of Government
Doesn't this sentence sum up hilariously the glib and tacky levels to which FF have dragged governance in this country?!

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
TKwhiskers said:
The two stores were set up in 2001. I think it’s a little unreasonable to start criticising Ceila’s business acumen because the company posted modest losses in its first two years of trading. Accounts for 2004 have yet to be posted they will give a fairer assessment of how the company is performing.

It is precisely because of her background, working with ordinary people that she particularly qualified for the role. Ceila managed the Taoiseach’s constituency office for several years; the office handles over 1500 general queries a week from the Taoiseach’s constituents. Anyone that knows Bertie knows he doesn’t suffer fools or incompetence gladly, if Ceila hadn’t made the cut she wouldn’t have gotten or been kept in the job.

As for her friendship with the Taoiseach – I can only see their continuing friendship and her access to him as of benefit to the board of the National Consumer Agency and consumers in general.
So, why not wait until she has proven herself to a successful businessperson and then think about appointing her? Or do you know something about her books?

As for the constituency office handling 1500 queries per week, get out of here. That's almost 80,000 queries per year. That means almost all of his constituents contact it at least once a year. Frankly, I doubt if the people of DC are that incapable of handling their own lives.

As for his tolerance for fools or incomptence, I've got two words. Royston Brady.

BarryW

TKwhiskers said:
Anyone that knows Bertie knows he doesn’t suffer fools or incompetence gladly
:eek:
What ?!

You utter buffoon! He has a whole Cabinet full of fools and incompetents! And he outshines them all in that department!

smiffy

Website
cedarlounge.wordpress.com
Trojanhorse said:
Well said TK.....

Hhahahaha....now the begrudgers what do ye have to say to that!!!!
Why is it begrudgery to ask what her specific qualifications for this position are? Her role in Ahern's constituency office might qualify her to work as an investigator for the Argue, but it certainly doesn't hasn't provided her with any policy experience, or anything that would be relevant to her position on the board.

Similarly, how can TKWhiskers argue that she's a successful businesswoman when there's no evidence produced to show that? How can TKWhiskers know what the 2004 accounts will show when they haven't been published yet? Unless TKWhiskers actually is Celia Larkin, which would contradict the assertion that she's intelligent.

It's interesting to see TKWhiskers defending this woman's (non-existent) qualifications for the position, when he was so scathing of Olive Braiden's qualifications for the role of CPA chair on a previous thread.

Trojanhorse

smiffy said:
Unless TKWhiskers actually is Celia Larkin, which would contradict the assertion that she's intelligent.

Ah Feck Smiffy.....

You've cracked it

I'm gonna have to ring HQ and tell them Celia's covers blown.....................................................

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
watch-this-drive said:
rockofcashel said:
Methinks we should call back in that 3 some guy from a few weeks back for some advice on this :roll:
Maybe he has gone the way of the Bobbit!
:shock:
well dunno about his mickey, but there is evidence in the past of his lack of balls

refusing to sack (pardon the pun :roll: ) Ray Burke, Martin Cullen, Michael Smith, Joe Jacob, Noel Dempsey, Seamus Brennan wow this list is longer than I thought

hiding behind a poster

TKwhiskers said:

Are you the editor of Phoenix by any chance?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
KingKane said:
As for the constituency office handling 1500 queries per week, get out of here. That's almost 80,000 queries per year. That means almost all of his constituents contact it at least once a year. Frankly, I doubt if the people of DC are that incapable of handling their own lives.
My error figure should have been 1500 per month. Look I've outlined the reasons why I think her appointment is appropriate. It's sad to see the opposition can't see beyond scoring political points... but whats new :roll:

KingKane said:
As for his tolerance for fools or incomptence, I've got two words. Royston Brady.
Royston Brady was ratified as a Fianna Fáil Candidate before certain important facts were known, namely he's a gobshite.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies