Celia Larkin's appointment--Cronyism or what!!

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
smiffy said:
Her role in Ahern's constituency office might qualify her to work as an investigator for the Argue, but it certainly doesn't hasn't provided her with any policy experience, or anything that would be relevant to her position on the board.

Similarly, how can TKWhiskers argue that she's a successful businesswoman when there's no evidence produced to show that? How can TKWhiskers know what the 2004 accounts will show when they haven't been published yet? Unless TKWhiskers actually is Celia Larkin, which would contradict the assertion that she's intelligent.
(a) TKwhiskers is not Celia Larkin.

(b) TKwhiskers never claimed to have any advance knowledge of what the financials for 04 will look like, he said it would be unfair to judge a start-up’s performance over only 2 years.

(c) Can anyone outline what in their view qualifies someone to sit on the board of this agency?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
TKwhiskers said:
Can anyone outline what in their view qualifies someone to sit on the board of this agency?
Perhaps someone from the Consumers’ Association of Ireland would be a good example; they’ve certainly done enough whining that their group hasn’t automatically gotten a seat on the board.

Take their current Chairman, Michael Kilcoyne, his background involves being failed local election candidate in 2004 (Castlebar Ward), former membership of the Labour Party (he quit in ’04) and being a SIPTU branch secretary.

We can be sure they’re experts on Rip-Off-Ireland, being a non-profit organisation sitting on a massive cash pile of almost €230,000.00 while happily charging their members almost €80.00 per annum for “a monthly magazine”…

nuj

TKwhiskers said:
We can be sure they’re experts on Rip-Off-Ireland, being a non-profit organisation sitting on a massive cash pile of almost €230,000.00 while happily charging their members almost €80.00 per annum for “a monthly magazine”…

Any idea what their overheads are?

And since when did FFers think €250k was "massive"? It casts all the Haughey, Flynn, Burke and Lawlor accusations in an even worse light, if possible!

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
nuj said:
TKwhiskers said:

And since when did FFers think €250k was "massive"?
Yes, I've a copy of their accounts in front of me. They’ve been sitting on that kind of money for years. They were even able to purchase a plush office. Their "membership" fee easily covers their costs...

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
TKwhiskers said:
(c) Can anyone outline what in their view qualifies someone to sit on the board of this agency?
How about experience in dealing with consumer affairs issues? Let me turn this on its head and ask you how Celia is more qualified to sit on this board than ANYONE who has worked for the Consumer association? Feel free to list her many superior qualifications to people like Dermot Jewell.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Sure Martin Cullen could barely run a weekend bus service for that money.

TKWhiskers - do you genuinely believe that the most qualified person for the job was Celia Larkin, or will you at the very least agree that her proximity to those making the appointment helped ensure that she got a little more consideration than potentially better qualified individuals.

aodh_rua

Website
drtod.wordpress.com
Actually - concerning this fortune that the Consumers Association are sitting on - the most recent accounts I can find are ones presented in 2002. At that time, the CAI was posting an annual increase in their reserves of around €13k. Unless they've had a massive windfall, I don't think that they could be generating €230k off routine revenue, and I certainly don't think that they'd be reconsidering their income streams.

Stalin once said that a lie is best surrounded by a bodyguard of truth - TKWhiskers style seems to be along a similar vain. If the act can't be justified try diversion, or accuse everyone else of doing it first.

nuj

TKwhiskers said:
she spent over 10 years working at the heart of Government.
She did in her arse. She ran Ahern's constituency office. Ahern's driver has as much claim to having been at the "heart of government".

nuj

TKwhiskers said:
nuj said:
TKwhiskers said:

And since when did FFers think €250k was "massive"?
Yes, I've a copy of their accounts in front of me. They’ve been sitting on that kind of money for years. They were even able to purchase a plush office. Their "membership" fee easily covers their costs...
Answer the questions -what are their annual overheads?

And when did FFers start thinking €230k (typo in original post) was "massive"?

And while I'm at it, how much will yiz raise from builders/publicans at the Galway races. Will it be massive too?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
aodh_rua said:
TKWhiskers - do you genuinely believe that the most qualified person for the job was Celia Larkin, or will you at the very least agree that her proximity to those making the appointment helped ensure that she got a little more consideration than potentially better qualified individuals.

These types of positions don't always go the most qualified person; the Minister has to ensure gender, political, geographic, social and other considerations in making his decision. As the main share holder in the organisation he has to be certain the interests of the people are represented. The current nominees come varying backgrounds:

State Agency
Carmel Foley – Director of Consumer Affairs
John Fingleton – Chairman, The Competition Authority

Consumers Reps
Eddie Hobbs – Consumer Advocate
Gillian Kelly – Consumer Representative
Marie Barry – Consumer Representative
Stephen Costelloe – Chairman, General Consumer Council of Northern Ireland

Legal / Economic
Alex Schuster – Lecturer & Barrister, School of Law TCD
Dr Edward Shinnick – Lecturer, Department of Economics UCC

Financial Services
Ann Fitzgerald Chair - CEO Irish Association of Investment Managers

Social
Inez Bailey – CEO, National Adult Literacy Agency

Business Community
Robin O’Sullivan – President- Chambers of Commerce Ireland
Deirdre McDonnell- MD, Safety Solutions

Ministerial Appointee
Celia Larkin – Businesswoman - Government Appointee

I'd no doubt in my mind Celia Larkin will do an outstanding job.

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
aodh_rua said:
Actually - concerning this fortune that the Consumers Association are sitting on - the most recent accounts I can find are ones presented in 2002. At that time, the CAI was posting an annual increase in their reserves of around €13k. Unless they've had a massive windfall, I don't think that they could be generating €230k off routine revenue, and I certainly don't think that they'd be reconsidering their income streams.

Stalin once said that a lie is best surrounded by a bodyguard of truth - TKWhiskers style seems to be along a similar vain. If the act can't be justified try diversion, or accuse everyone else of doing it first.
The latest accounts filed for the y/e 01/05/04 as signed off by the AGM of the Association, show accumulated reserves of 409k, with 237k recorded as bank & cash balances, they have equity of almost 300k in fixed assets – their plush office. And yet they continue to charge their hard pressed members €80.00 per year for a monthly rag, err mag.

aodh_rua perhaps you should learn to read accounts and get your facts straight before accusing people of telling lies...

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Meanwhile, back at the actual topic under discussion...
Ok, TK, here's your chance.
Complete the following sentence:
Celia Larkin is a more qualified and better candidate to sit on this important state body than Dermot Jewell, who has been a leading consumer advocate for decades, because...

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
JCSkinner said:
TK, I think you'll find that your list is incorrect, since John Fingleton took a job in thr UK on £250K this week.
and could you explain why Celia is more qualified than Dermot Jewell?
You are quite correct Mr. Fingleton has moved on, however he was nominated in the first instance.

I don’t know that Celia isn’t more qualified than Dermot Jewell, however I’m understand Eddie Hobbs is more qualified than Jewell and perhaps that’s why Hobbs occupies the "Consumer Advocate" spot on the board… it's a pity they can't agree over who should get it and have resorted to attacking others...

JCSkinner

Website
skinflicks.blogspot.com
Eddie's an economist turned TV host. Dermot Jewell is the head of the national consumr association.
Both have been strong advocates for consumer rights, in an era when they have been utterly undermined by the rip-off culture latterly to be found inthis country.
Never has the need for this body been more acute, never has the contempt of Fianna Fail for the common people been more obvious than with this appointment.
So, Celia is a better candidate than Dermot Jewell because....

Or are you simply finding it an impossible question to answer? If so, I don't blame you, because it requires a severe stretch of the imagination to see this appointment as anything other than the crass buying-off of an ex by a politician nearing the end of his days and fearing how his legacy might be depicted if his former doxy did a Terry Keane and produced a kiss-and-tell volume.
Frankly it is disgraceful, and your defence of it almst as bad.
Want to have another stab at justifying her appointment over Dermot Jewell, TK?

TKwhiskers

Website
tkwhiskers.blogspot.com
JCSkinner said:
Eddie's an economist turned TV host. Dermot Jewell is the head of the national consumr association.
Both have been strong advocates for consumer rights, in an era when they have been utterly undermined by the rip-off culture latterly to be found inthis country.
Never has the need for this body been more acute, never has the contempt of Fianna Fail for the common people been more obvious than with this appointment.
So, Celia is a better candidate than Dermot Jewell because....

Or are you simply finding it an impossible question to answer? If so, I don't blame you, because it requires a severe stretch of the imagination to see this appointment as anything other than the crass buying-off of an ex by a politician nearing the end of his days and fearing how his legacy might be depicted if his former doxy did a Terry Keane and produced a kiss-and-tell volume.
Frankly it is disgraceful, and your defence of it almst as bad.
Want to have another stab at justifying her appointment over Dermot Jewell, TK?
I’ve already answered that question. Now why don’t you tell us why a private association feels justified in demanding 100% more representation than each of the other interests involved?

You are the only disgrace here and your malicious attempts to insinuate Ahern is some how trying to buy off Larkin are appalling and should be withdrawn.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies