• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Celtic Helicopters hands back operating licence: Times

kerrynorth

According to the Irish Times (as relayed by Rachel English on RTE) Ciaran Haughey's infamous Celtic Helicopters has handed in its operating licence to the Aviation Authority and is no longer offering charter services. It will instead concentrate on providing hanger space for helicopters owned by Ireland's wealthy who are putting them away to cut operating costs in the recession.

MsAnneThrope

Came across an interesting article in relation to early investments in Celtic Helicopters that I was unaware of until now. GTech and it's founder Guy Snowden won the contract to build and maintain the first online Lotto terminals back in 1987 when Lotto was launched in Ireland...

The company initially kept a relatively low profile in Ireland despite a reputation that has been tarnished by numerous allegations of impropriety and its contract with the lottery was renewed in 1993. But five years later it emerged that GTech founder Guy Snowden had invested $100,000 in Ciaran Haughey's Celtic Helicopters in 1993 just a month before the Irish lottery contract was renewed.

Snowden was forced to resign from British lottery operator Camelot and step down from GTech two years ago after he lost a British libel trial against Richard Branson. Branson had alleged that in 1993 Snowden had tried to bribe him from making a bid for the UK lottery.
GTech is a USA gaming technology company

GTech attempts to keep a low profile in the Irish market. The company is never referred to in the National Lottery's glossy annual report but it has attracted notoriety through a number of high profile controversies.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

thecretinhop

Well spotted, you know Ireland reminds me of what a friend said when he was in Nigeria, "in Nigeria, everything is for sale" just pop in ireland there and it makes sense..

MsAnneThrope

Well spotted, you know Ireland reminds me of what a friend said when he was in Nigeria, "in Nigeria, everything is for sale" just pop in ireland there and it makes sense..
Would that include beatification too? Saint Charlie of Frugality. Well, he was a saint after all, wasn't he? ;)

Pauli

So Ciaran is offering a sort of parking facility basically.

Give him a cap with a harp on it and a rolled-up newspaper

"Back her up, Bud, keep her coming, now lock hard! LOCK HARD!!"

Everybody eventually finds their metiér.

Factorem

According to the Irish Times (as relayed by Rachel English on RTE) Ciaran Haughey's infamous Celtic Helicopters has handed in its operating licence to the Aviation Authority and is no longer offering charter services. It will instead concentrate on providing hanger space for helicopters owned by Ireland's wealthy who are putting them away to cut operating costs in the recession.
If only the banks would hand back their licences.

flavirostris

I wonder did they depend on property developers for a lot of their business.

Spirit Of Newgrange

did he buy his helicopters with brown envelopes stuffed with cash ?

Phil Maker

Twitter
dont talk to me about twitter
I wonder did they depend on property developers for a lot of their business.
'fun-rides' and Gypsy Communions etc. along with TV shoots would have been their mainstay

The Developers had their own choppers... (the Irish taxpayer is paying the tab)

Aristodemus

Mr Haughey will not be struggling to pay any personal bills though.
No. As his father had led such a frugal life he had managed to accrue quite a bit of wealth which he was able to leave in tact to his family. In fact, he was so frugal and careful with his money he even ensured that his family didnt even have to pick up the tab for his funeral which a grateful nation did

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies