• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Censorship: Broadcasting Authority of Ireland style

b.a. baracus

I see the buffoons in the BAI think we all need to be protected from our own feeble minds which should not be exposed to even the mildest form of personal opinion from a radio presenter:

BAI to 'prevent broadcasters from expressing own views' | Irish Examiner

I recall Marc Coleman (I am no fan by the way) warning that these impending regulations were a dangerous affront to free speech and I would tend to agree with him. Would such censorship be tolerated in the USA or Britain (I am thinking Bill O'Reilly on one side and George Galloway's former show on Talk Radio on the other)?

There is no need for these regulations. They are nanny state nonsense.

bormotello

I see the buffoons in the BAI think we all need to be protected from our own feeble minds which should not be exposed to even the mildest form of personal opinion from a radio presenter:

I recall Marc Coleman (I am no fan by the way) warning that these impending regulations were a dangerous affront to free speech and I would tend to agree with him. Would such censorship be tolerated in the USA or Britain (I am thinking Bill O'Reilly on one side and George Galloway's former show on Talk Radio on the other)?

Another useless quango is trying to justify own existence

Didimus

If it shuts Gay Byrne from moaning it will have justified it's existence.

shiel

You do not have to go to the BAI for censorship.

You can be told that 'you have been removed from this discussion' for ever by the powers that be on this thread.

Heligoland

The chairman of the BAI is a former director general of RTE, Bob Collins.

What is his political background?

cobhguy

It should be stated that it is only for news and current affairs programs.

I personal do not want a presenters or a company such as rte's view on the news i want the facts.

Now i feel current affairs are different as most people watch these because of the presenter.

nicht besonders

Unnecessary, stupid, and futile.

ManOfReason

This spells the end for the Vincent Brown show I guess :)

That said there is appalling bias displayed by most RTE broadcasters. It seems they all believe there are there to tell guests what should be done rather than to facilitate the airing of different viewpoints.

gijoe

Are the 'new regulations' going to allow a separate set of rules to apply to Euro referenda compared to other referendums as they allowed in their 'clarification' during the Lisbon 2 campaign?

gijoe

There is a simple solution to this. Just take it out of the BAI remit and allow presenters to podcast their opinions over the net and leave them available for download online! BAI has no jurisdiction online.

The Field Marshal

That said there is appalling bias displayed by most RTE broadcasters. It seems they all believe there are there to tell guests what should be done rather than to facilitate the airing of different viewpoints.
Fully agree on RTE bias and VB.

Perhaps there is a need for this new code to make these partisan presenters give fair play to all sides.
I cant see it working though as the culture of partisan presentation is now to heavily ingrained in RTE.

The only solution would be to shut the station down.

The notion of a state controlled & dominated broadcasting station is really the stuff of nazism and thats why such group think operates in Ireland which has been exposed to fraudulent state propoganda for decades now.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
The chairman of the BAI is a former director general of RTE, Bob Collins.

What is his political background?
Fine Fail or Fianna Gael, does it matter, two cheeks of the same ar$e.

PO'Neill

Website
www.facebook.com
Fully agree on RTE bias and VB.

Perhaps there is a need for this new code to make these partisan presenters give fair play to all sides.
I cant see it working though as the culture of partisan presentation is now to heavily ingrained in RTE.

The only solution would be to shut the station down.

The notion of a state controlled & dominated broadcasting station is really the stuff of nazism and thats why such group think operates in Ireland which has been exposed to fraudulent state propoganda for decades now.
No fan of RTE by any means as the must be the only broadcaster in the world that asked for more censorship not less (back in the days of Section 31). But still you'd rather that Denis O'Brien and a few others controlled the broadcasting media of the country ??

White Horse

It is the subtle propaganda from presenters who give soft focus interviews to one side and hard questions to others that worry me. Those with upfront and declared opinions are not the problem.

statsman

VB is entertainment, not news.

Iphonista

Oh dear, poor Vincent Browne will have to zip the lips a lot more, heh heh.

Having said that, there are many ways to be biased. Interrupting people, asking them harder questions etc....

statsman

There is a simple solution to this. Just take it out of the BAI remit and allow presenters to podcast their opinions over the net and leave them available for download online! BAI has no jurisdiction online.
Presenters can podcast away to their heart's content. The problem is nobody is going to pay them for it. Would you give up your job tomorrow and continue to do the same work with no pay?

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It should be stated that it is only for news and current affairs programs.

I personal do not want a presenters or a company such as rte's view on the news i want the facts.

Now i feel current affairs are different as most people watch these because of the presenter.
That's the key point here. Presenters should not be pushing their personal agenda. If you want to do that have a "Liveline" chat show type format, but do not confuse it with current affairs.

Big Brother

The flaw in these guidelines is it fails to make the distinction between Joe Duffy who is state funded and Vinnie who isn't.

We have to fund Joe's inflated salary via the license fee. So he has no right to tell us how to think - it's bad enough having to fund his mortgage/pension.

Vinnie on the other hand is not living off our backs. If you don't like him, you don't tune in.

So as far as I'm concerned however much I disagree with him - and 90% of the time I do - Vinnie can say what he wants.

This code should apply to RTE only