• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Census analysis shows Islam could be dominant religion in the UK in 10 years.


NewDawn1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
4,258
A study of the 2011 census reveals that Islam could overtake Christianity as the dominant religion in the UK within 10 years.


One in 10 people under 25 are Muslim, while Christianity is in decline, the 2011 UK census reveals. An explosion in the Muslim population and an aging Christian demographic could mean Islam will be the dominant religion in the UK in 10 years.
Christianity is still the dominant religion in the UK with over 50 per cent of the population regarding themselves as believers.

However, this may be set to change as the British Muslim population has surged dramatically over the past 15 years, increasing by 75 per cent in England and Wales. The 2011 census puts the Muslim population of the UK at around 5 per cent, a total that has been boosted by around 600,000 Muslim immigrants who have arrived in the UK over the past decade.
Above quotes from:Islam could be dominant UK religion in 10 years ? census analysis ? RT News

How might this impact on the future of the UK and is it something to be celebrated or concerned about, or maybe neither? I for one feel that the evidence so far, is that Islam has had a difficult time integrating itself into the UK and its potential dominance in the very near future as the leading religion there, could cause some serious issues for the country for example further discrimination to women:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/9975937/Inside-Britains-Sharia-courts.html
 
Last edited:

stopdoingstuff

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 26, 2011
Messages
22,897
Well done Liberals. I am sure they will be so nice to homosexuals, Jews and women.
 

statsman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2011
Messages
56,230
The main factor is the decline of Christianity. It's not like Muslims are going to become the majority of the population. That will fall to the happy godless.
 
D

Dylan2010

does it matter? it means 10% or 20% of the population have randomer religious views while the other 80% dont give a toss, sounds like progress to me.
 

P Ryan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
3,509
England's difficulty is Ireland's opportunity ;)
 

NewDawn1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
4,258
does it matter? it means %10 or 20% of the population have randomer religious views while the other 80% dont give a toss, sounds like progress to me.
That depends how radical those 10% or 20% is I guess. But hopefully athiesim will be the dominant factor in the UK in the long run.
 

P Ryan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
3,509
Consider how places such as Bahrain, Syria, Iraq (pre Invasion) are all controlled by a minority sect.
 

Honecker

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 19, 2012
Messages
4,777
A study of the 2011 census reveals that Islam could overtake Christianity as the dominant religion in the UK within 10 years.






Above quotes from:Islam could be dominant UK religion in 10 years ? census analysis ? RT News

How might this impact on the future of the UK and is it something to be celebrated or concerned about, or maybe neither? I for one feel that the evidence so far, is that Islam has had a difficult time integrating itself into the UK and its potential dominance in the very near future as the leading religion there, could cause some serious issues for the country.
In fairness Russia Today has an anti-Islamic agenda. The Russians have never been too keen on the muslims to the south of them. They could also be trying to scare the west out of supporting the islamist groups in Syria.
 
Joined
Jun 9, 2007
Messages
19,084
Or Fame. That seems to be a big deal.
Mostly people just worship at the altar of their local shopping centre. Some are more devout than others.

A few weeks back a couple of Muslim students, nice chaps, tried to convince me of the merits of Islam. They gave up when I tried to get them to go to a Latin Mass. Mostly they were just ignored by people. The majority of people find religion too demanding to bother with (the C of E copped on to this some time ago and turned their religion into a glorified social club).
 

P Ryan

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 25, 2011
Messages
3,509
In fairness Russia Today has an anti-Islamic agenda. The Russians have never been too keen on the muslims to the south of them. They could also be trying to scare the west out of supporting the islamist groups in Syria.
Ultimately, it will be the Chinese who will do for the Russians.
 

NewDawn1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
4,258
In fairness Russia Today has an anti-Islamic agenda. The Russians have never been too keen on the muslims to the south of them. They could also be trying to scare the west out of supporting the islamist groups in Syria.
That might have some truth to it. But do you disagree with the findings of the census study?
 

Kf

Active member
Joined
Mar 31, 2003
Messages
274
Someone clearly hasn't done their sums here.

In 2011 5% of the population have described themselves as Muslim in the census.Yet somehow this 5% is going to become more than 50% in 10 years!!.

Complete and utter tosh.
 

NewDawn1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
4,258
Mostly people just worship at the altar of their local shopping centre. Some are more devout than others.

A few weeks back a couple of Muslim students, nice chaps, tried to convince me of the merits of Islam. They gave up when I tried to get them to go to a Latin Mass. Mostly they were just ignored by people. The majority of people find religion too demanding to bother with (the C of E copped on to this some time ago and turned their religion into a glorified social club).
You say they were nice. Maybe they were. But most muslims know they have to be constuctive with their Dawah, right?
 

NewDawn1

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 10, 2012
Messages
4,258
Someone clearly hasn't done their sums here.

In 2011 5% of the population have described themselves as Muslim in the census.Yet somehow this 5% is going to become more than 50% in 10 years!!.

Complete and utter tosh.
You need to go back to maths and English school buddy. And for that matter go get a 'concept' class while you are at it. Islam does not have to be over 50% for it to be the dominant religion
 
D

Dylan2010

Depends how much power is given to the 20%....

but even within this grouping there wont be consenus on many issues. the muslims will more likely be urban working class , the rump of christians will be more middle class I'd guess and both will have some noisy reps who pretend to speak for everyone, let them whistle Dixie! it hardly means Shria law coming to a town near you
 

Dearghoul

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 8, 2013
Messages
8,623
Someone clearly hasn't done their sums here.

In 2011 5% of the population have described themselves as Muslim in the census.Yet somehow this 5% is going to become more than 50% in 10 years!!.

Complete and utter tosh.
They don't have to do that to become the largest religious group, merely overtake whichever Christian church is most numerous in 10 years, quite easily done in a largely agnostic or non Christian practicing country.
 
Top