• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Central Bank issues €15 commemorative coin

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
The Central Bank has today launched a €15 commemorative coin. The limited edition €15 silver proof collector coin honours the first coins created by the Free State in 1928 and depict an Irish hunter horse pictured alongside it's foal. The coin was designed by Emmet Mullins and is a modern interpretation of the half-crown coin designed by Percy Metcalfe.

Coin designer Emmet Mullins pictured with the commemorative €15 coin. Photo by Jason Clarke Photography

The coin is the first in a series of three coins to be produced between now and 2012. Commemorative coins to come will feature the salmon and Irish wolfhound.

The silver proof coin will be available to the public from tomorrow and will cost €36, only 15,000 coins have been produced.

DCon

how much silver is in there?

kerdasi amaq

28.28 grams. .925 silver.

What I'd like to know is: why have they raised the face value to €15 from €10?

Last edited:

Asparagus

It'll be worth a fortune in 5 years when the euro is consigned to the bin.

Is the central bank following the Anglo model, selling €15 worth of debt for €36 to the scmuck tax payer?

Sync

It's quite pretty:

Cassandra Syndrome

Its great to see the Central Bank finally copping on and distributing precious metal real money into the system.

Asparagus

It'll be worth a fortune in 5 years when the euro is consigned to the bin.

Is the central bank following the Anglo model, selling €15 worth of debt for €36 to the scmuck tax payer?
Jees how negative am i?

Ok i am on a 24 hour positive drive.
If i have anything bad to say i won't.....

Conor

How and where do you get one????
Click here and send it to the address below.

For a faster service you may telephone your order to +353 1 2955666 or fax the order form to +353 1 2955716. You can also call directly on 1890 307 607 (Lo-call within Ireland only).
Please note that they do not accept orders by E-mail.

Postal Address
Currency Services Section
Central Bank & Financial Services Authority of Ireland
Currency Centre
P.O. Box 61
Sandyford
Dublin 16.

Mark the envelope FREEPOST if posted in the Republic of Ireland

Highking

I'm not great at economics now but paying 36 euro, for a 15 euro coin seems slightly suspect to me.

Conor

I'm not great at economics now but paying 36 euro, for a 15 euro coin seems slightly suspect to me.
It comes with a nice box.

Verhofstadt

Website
Yes but you pay 36 of your soiled and dirty Euros for a very shiny €15.. shiny... shiny.

DCon

Yes but you pay 36 of your soiled and dirty Euros for a very shiny €15.. shiny... shiny.
only legal tender in Ireland though. The commemorative €2 coins are legal tender in all euro countries, but the higher denomination coins are only accepted in the country of issue

yehbut_nobut

...fairly expensive overall but confident it will be worth double in 10 years time.

just wondering -were you saying that about houses 5 years ago?

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
You are getting ripped off, you can buy 1 oz silver coins for around 20 euro on the net.

Where is the other 16 euros going? Go ahead and give more of your cash to the bankers, suckers.

7 euro postal charge? Is there any service in this country doesnt that involve the customer being shafted.

Last edited: