Ch4. Europe's (EU) Gravy Train. On now, Monday 15th Nov

asset test

Inside the EU Parliament, signing on, mega allowances, and disappearing for the weekend, etc.

Investigating how the budget is spent, and how grants are disbursed etc.

I think this might be interesting, considering the posturing of the EU in relation to our own profligacy. Not condoning our own stuff mind, but sometimes, the inner workings of the EU need examination too.

Fergalino

Inside the EU Parliament, signing on, and disappearing for the weekend, etc.

Investigating how the budget is spent, and how grants are disbursed etc.

I think this might be interesting, considering the posturing of the EU in relation to our own profligacy. Not condoning our own stuff mind, but sometimes, the inner workings of the EU need examination too.
The problems as regards how the EU budget is spent are, generally, problems of how Member States (mis)spend EU funds. So how Italy spent 1 million of EU funds on an elton John concert (Brussels investigates after EU funds 'used to put on Sir Elton John concert' - Telegraph), how farmers try to swindle funds (BBC NEWS | Business | Policing EU farm subsidies, the Italian way) or our own dearly loved FAS.

MEPs are not EU officials/EU civil servants. MEPs are elected by people in Member States. If they, the electorate, want to elect crooks, who should you blame???

asset test

But I don't think a lot of folk really realise how much of a potential gravy train is there, before they vote for their MEPs.

That, I think is the problem.

As to who is responsible for the lack of transparency about the spend of the EU Parliament ... well, I just don't know. There seems to be so much that people don't know about all this shameful waste of EU money.

We contribute through a percentage of our VAT and Excise receipts AFAIK. So we should be entitled to know how it is spent.

We have hissy fits all over the place about our own lot's expenses, whereas the MEPs just milk it, as far as I can see.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies