• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Chances of FG/Labour being re-elected?

Future Irish Leader

Come summer 2015 or early 2016, Taoiseach Enda Kenny will have to go to the country to seek a new mandate. The question is can he win a historic second term for a Fine Gael party that reached new highs in the last election. The question is can they hold onto gains they made last time and govern for 5 more years?

InsideImDancing

Come summer 2015 or early 2016, Taoiseach Enda Kenny will have to go to the country to seek a new mandate. The question is can he win a historic second term for a Fine Gael party that reached new highs in the last election. The question is can they hold onto gains they made last time and govern for 5 more years?
They certainly have a chance of forming a coalition, possibly as the lead party, depending on events.

I don't see them forming a Govt with Labour though, can't see them getting the numbers. FG/FF would be my prediction, with a bit of a left/right feeling to the Dail.

Future Irish Leader

They certainly have a chance of forming a coalition, possibly as the lead party, depending on events.

I don't see them forming a Govt with Labour though, can't see them getting the numbers. FG/FF would be my prediction, with a bit of a left/right feeling to the Dail.
Probably should have phrased it as a chance of Enda Kenny returning for a second term as Taoiseach.

ruserious

They'll get back in with a small majority. FF will remain largest party having recovered to 35+ seats. SF will remain largely the same.

Northtipp

Jesus I'm glad I didn't start this thread.

Far too much time to go and too much water to go under the bridge. At this minute I'd go FG and maybe FG/ FF. Labor will be insignificant .

Red_93

The election is three years away. Far too early to tell yet.

L

longshortgrass

Far too much time to go and too much water to go under the bridge. At this minute I'd go FG and maybe FG/ FF. Labor will be insignificant .
Defeatist? petunia

Red_93

Far too much time to go and too much water to go under the bridge. At this minute I'd go FG and maybe Ff/ FF. Labor will be insignificant .
Why do you say that? There's no polling evidence of a labour wipe-out as all and sundry on p.ie seem to be predicting...

Northtipp

Why do you say that? There's no polling evidence of a labour wipe-out as all and sundry on p.ie seem to be predicting...
I think they are imploding and the greens and PDs are there benchmark I'd suggest.

Future Irish Leader

I think they are imploding and the greens and PDs are there benchmark I'd suggest.
Greens and pd's governed with Fianna Fail. Hefty transfers between the government partners will help labour, provided the government runs the full term.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

I stand by my prediction of a GE in 2014.

I hope none. But this is Ireland.

borntorum

Nah they won't implode like that. The Greens and the PDs were parties without roots who attracted support from the fickle trendy bourgeois classes. Labour has strong residual support, and its blatant protection of the public sector will no doubt provide them with a decent cushion.

Northtipp

Greens and pd's governed with Fianna Fail. Hefty transfers between the government partners will help labour, provided the government runs the full term.
That will depend on a lot of factors including how this govts reign ends. But I still don't see it even with a placid end.

Northtipp

Nah they won't implode like that. The Greens and the PDs were parties without roots who attracted support from the fickle trendy bourgeois classes. Labour has strong residual support, and its blatant protection of the public sector will no doubt provide them with a decent cushion.

Yes but that root was based on true labour values. That's gone in a heartbeat. Vanished in a respite carers heartbeat tbh. Big trouble at mill !

borntorum

That will depend on a lot of factors including how this govts reign ends. But I still don't see it even with a placid end.
You'd think that the sensible thing for Labour to do would be to manufacture a split on a point of 'principle' which would enable them to differentiate themselves from FG and try to pretend that "Hey, we're caring lefties honestly and not a bunch of lying careerist hypocrites."

But Gilmore and Rabbitte in particular seem so besotted with the blueshirts that its hard to see what Kenny and co could do at the moment that would upset the DL element in Labour

Future Irish Leader

Yes but that root was based on true labour values. That's gone in a heartbeat. Vanished in a respite carers heartbeat tbh. Big trouble at mill !
Personally I think labour will return with seats in the mid 20's and fine gael with around 65 seats.

cricket

Personally I think labour will return with seats in the mid 20's and fine gael with around 65 seats.
I see that not all of the Christmas sherry has been drunk. Labour are in danger of going the way of the PD's unless they can demonstrate more backbone in relation to revitalising the economy soon. It's probably right to say that they are a counterbalance to the more rabidly right wing elements of FG, but the electorate does not do gratitude for something they can't actually see. As usual, it's the minor party in the coalition that takes the big hit.
If a GE were called tomorrow, I'd say Labour would end up with less than ten seats.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies