Change the Flag?

SideysGhost

Like I said on another, similar thread....

It's a bit daft Unionists (and southern crypto-unionists) crying that the tricolour has "too much baggage" just because they insist on clinging to stupid myths that the Provos and the southern State were one and the same, and trying to get it abolished when it is one of the few tangible expressions that their community is supposed to be an equal partner in a free Ireland.

Strikes me of petulant childishness, cutting off nose to spite face, just wanting to complain about something because "it belongs to Themmuns"....when the whole point and symbolism of the flag is that it belongs to them too...

Let's face it, the kind of person, north or south, who whines and complains about the tricolour won't actually be satisfied until the flag of all of Ireland is this:

Let's not beat about the bush here. Transparently disingenuous motivations are transparently disingenuous motivations and should be called out for what they are, then summarily dismissed.

J

john moriarty

Like I said on another, similar thread....It's a bit daft Unionists (and southern crypto-unionists) crying that the tricolour has "too much baggage" ....
It has too much baggage. It's also
pretty damned boring (although
that maybe due to the former)
Aesthetically, it's pretty crap.

SideysGhost

It has too much baggage. It's also
pretty damned boring (although
that maybe due to the former)
Aesthetically, it's pretty crap.
blah blah blah :lol:

Go on, give us a spiel about how we all have to be "mature" and "civilised" and "embrace our shared history" and all the rest of the nonsense neo-unionist tripe that so pollutes the airwaves these days.

J

john moriarty

Bollocks to shared history.
Importing an already broken
society to our own (crocked
one) is hardly sensible.

ocoonassa

Why bother? Let them have their flag, and let us have ours. Far better to promote our own identity than pander to those who don't want to be part of it.
We'll it's not just pandering to 'those'. The main reason I'd say to change it is because it's not our flag and symbol and the vast bulk of our ancestors from these past hundreds of years wouldn't know it. Ireland was always the harp, the Royalists had it on blue and the democrats on Green and even as lately as the early 1900's Jim Connolly wasn't talking about hoisting a striped flag over Dublin Castle. But the Shinners wanted to differentiate themselves from the IPP, and that's an awful reason to lose the flag your ancestors carried. For me to promote 'our own' identity is to promote the harp.

Riadach

We'll it's not just pandering to 'those'. The main reason I'd say to change it is because it's not our flag and symbol and the vast bulk of our ancestors from these past hundreds of years wouldn't know it. Ireland was always the harp, the Royalists had it on blue and the democrats on Green and even as lately as the early 1900's Jim Connolly wasn't talking about hoisting a striped flag over Dublin Castle. But the Shinners wanted to differentiate themselves from the IPP, and that's an awful reason to lose the flag your ancestors carried. For me to promote 'our own' identity is to promote the harp.
We're letting the dead decide now? Are you part of Cael's necrocracy? Most of the flags of europe are modern inventions inspired by the principles of republicanisms, we are hardly the odd ones out by having the same.

The reference to identity was due to the inference that we shouldn't have a flag because people living in a completely separate country wouldn't like it. Which is nonsense.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies