Change the Flag?

SirHenryGrattan

Would we have to get the Harp back off those 'awful' Brits though first?

Myers is an Englishman who masquerades as Irish. He pines for the time when half the globe was coloured red and Britannia ruled the waves. That's why he wants to see a return to the Royal Standard.

A national flag reflects history, tradition and culture. It's not a fashion statement!

Victor Meldrew

There is a good correlation between the gaudiness of the flag and how corrupt the country is.

So I'd like to withdraw my support for a gold flag on a navy background. waay too tasteful..

EvotingMachine0197

Myers is an Englishman who masquerades as Irish. He pines for the time when half the globe was coloured red and Britannia ruled the waves. That's why he wants to see a return to the Royal Standard.

A national flag reflects history, tradition and culture. It's not a fashion statement!
You didn't even read what Myers said for goodness sake. He proposed a return to the Irish Presidential Standard, not the Royal Standard.

And, he's not English, he's Irish. Local bigotry indeed ..

Schomberg

Well as far as we're concerned this is our flag

Schomberg

Jon O'Dee

Def aesthestically unpleasant.........n easily confused at a distance with flag of Italy.
In a united Ireland, tricolour wldnt b acceptable, any more thn the loyalist flag is acceptable up there as d flag of Northern Ireland.
We could possibly hav a green mast side half, n "St Patricks Cross" , red cross on white background on the other half.

Schomberg

RFLOL. You are like the Japanese holdouts who kept fighting after Imperial Japan
surrendered. The British empire is over you can go home now, did you not get the memo.
far better than your rag ;)

British Citizen

Any flag in a United Ireland would have to have the Red Hand on it.

Red Hand and Gold Harp side by side on a white background might work.

Ramzi Nohra

Hence why the tri-colour will never mean anything to the minority on this island..
Is there any evidence that Protestants in the RoI have a disconnect with the Tricolor? I mean in general, not just those of a strong unionist disposition, which I presume are a very small minority of this minority (although would be open to any evidence to the contrary)

Keith-M

Website
www.allkindsofeverything.ie
It's nicer alright. I'd personally make the harp smaller and move it to the corner against either that or a greener background.

Though I have to admit that, having grown up with the tri-colour, I'm proud of it so I'd only change it if we are going to dramatically change our system of govt (to mark a new Ireland).
Time for a second republic. One with a new flag and anthem and without an unnecessary second chamber. One that removes the compulsion of Irish Gaelic in our schools and allows and encourages those that want to use it to promote it in the same way as Irish music and dance.

Schomberg

Fr. Hank Tree

Any flag in a United Ireland would have to have the Red Hand on it.

Red Hand and Gold Harp side by side on a white background might work.
Nonsense, there's nothing to be conceded. The Tricolour is a perfectly suitable flag for all the people of Ireland.

In a united Ireland, tricolour wldnt b acceptable, any more thn the loyalist flag is acceptable up there as d flag of Northern Ireland.
Why not, the Tricolour afterall belongs to all the people of Ireland.

Schomberg

Nonsense, there's nothing to be conceded. The Tricolour is a perfectly suitable flag for all the people of Ireland.
maybe for the bonfires...but as a representation of the people not a chance.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies