Changes over on IrishTimes.com

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
I noticed a comment this morning on the Today's Paper section of the Irish Times website saying that from March 15th (in fact it's the 18th) that page would be becoming the page for the Irish Times e-Paper.

I've looked into things, and a decision has been made to remove the more obvious "newspaper" presentational elements from the website.

If you want to see what's in the actual newspaper, you can either buy the newspaper in a shop, or view the e-Paper, for which a subscription will be €89 a year.

The content from the newspaper will still be online, but it won't be obvious that it's from the published newspaper.

I spoke to IrishTimes.com Editor Hugh Linehan earlier who said that the physical newspaper was still their "bread and butter" and as a result they needed to protect that element of the business, whilst at the same time focussing on more quality content (especially new media) on IrishTimes.com.

This isn't in effect a pay-wall such as the Sunday Times is expected to introduce shortly, as the content itself will still be available, though it won't be obvious what's newspaper content online, and what's non-newspaper content - unless you're subscribing to the e-Paper.

johnfás

Are they going to invest some money in improving the content of an online editioin or is it just really going to be the same content which is in the paper just jazzed about?

H.R. Haldeman

€89 for the e-paper sounds like good value. I'm not surprised to see this move because I don't know how papers keep the show on the road offering so much free content online. The tricky bit is that I just don't think there exists an ethos amongst punters to pay for content like this. It really is a very tough bind for the newspapers.

I think the missing link is a fast and easy way to make payments over the internet. I'd like to click a single button and have €x taken out of my account to pay for x content right there and then. (Or perhaps for xxx content, but that's a different matter). I'd be very likely to drop €10 here and €20 there with such a system....for example, I see a special offer for 6mths of the IT e-paper for €40...bang, click the button, done. But subscribing individually to the IT and NYT and Sunday Times or whatever mix, meh too much hassle, too expensive, couldn't be arsed. I think that's how it feels to a lot of people.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
so their shutting down ireland.com and making it a magazine site, never used ireland.com it seem to be directed towards americans and ancestry stuff

wow so the plan is too make things harder to find, great! i can see the paper losing infliuence

i mean what happens if we do buy the paper and then want to comment on it online and tell people looks here a good story, there going make it hard to find!

Last edited:

jtbooker

so their shutting down ireland.com and making it a magazine site, never used ireland.com it seem to be directed towards americans and ancestry stuff

wow so the plan is too make things harder to find, great! i can see the paper losing infliuence
That my friend...we can only hope!...

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
I never read The Irish Times till I wanted to be mentioned in it in 1997.

I have no idea how I managed to live without it up to then.

Saturday's edition is a bargain. The News, the Arts and science, and a week's TV.

Finger on the pulse, huh?

danger here

I had a look at the e-paper preview last night,it doesn't look anything like the paper layout,not very user friendly ect.It's slowly going the way of the dinosaurs,evidenced by crap articles like this for the chattering classes to drool at.
outsidein Maybe openness is overrated?

White Horse

I gave up on the Dublin Times when they started charging for content on Ireland.com

Their coverage is too parochial and narrow for my tastes.

There is a whole world beyond the M50.

YoungLiberal

I gave up on the Dublin Times when they started charging for content on Ireland.com

Their coverage is too parochial and narrow for my tastes.

There is a whole world beyond the M50.
The predictibility of the site is so reassuring! As soon as I saw your name under last post, I knew it would refer to the "the Dublin Times"!:p

jmcc

In terms of links that was a very stupid mistake as a lot of the historical links to the ireland.com website have been to Irish Times articles. The people looking for the Irish Times links tend to bounce off to the Irishtimes.com site after accidentally hitting ireland.com.

It lost a lot of influence in the last ten years. The problem with the web for a print publication with an online presence is what is known as "cannibalism". The articles from the print publication end up on the site and people then stop buying the newspaper. The first attempt at a subscription model was badly thought out, poorly implemented and very badly times. It naturally failed. This new one seems to have some more thought put into it but the fact that the other content will remain free could indicate that the Irish Times may have learned something from the first attempt.

i mean what happens if we do buy the paper and then want to comment on it online and tell people looks here a good story, there going make it hard to find!
That's another interesting aspect of publishing online - it is no longer a one way flow of communications.

Regards...jmcc

White Horse

The predictibility of the site is so reassuring! As soon as I saw your name under last post, I knew it would refer to the "the Dublin Times"!:p
Isn't it nice though that some things don't change YL? In a chaotic fast moving world, it's nice to have a few old reliables. ;)

By the way, you Dubs are lucky to have such a good local newspaper. I wish we had a local newspaper of the same quality up here.

YoungLiberal

Isn't it nice though that some things don't change YL? In a chaotic fast moving world, it's nice to have a few old reliables. ;)

By the way, you Dubs are lucky to have such a good local newspaper. I wish we had a local newspaper of the same quality up here.
Just stick on LMFM, you'll be grand!:)

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
Hopefully an indicator of decline in its fortunes and eventually influence. It has pushed Irish politicians into submission to the PC-brigade to the detriment (ironically for a newspaper) of free speech. The reaction to Kevin Kiely's remarks for example. We need a greater presence for centre-right media in the Irish market to balance things out a bit.

YoungLiberal

Hopefully an indicator of decline in its fortunes and eventually influence. It has pushed Irish politicians into submission to the PC-brigade to the detriment (ironically for a newspaper) of free speech. The reaction to Kevin Kiely's remarks for example. We need a greater presence for centre-right media in the Irish market to balance things out a bit.
Listen, FT, we élites read the paper, how would its influence wane?

As an aside, the Times has barely any competition in its market. Perhaps it's just economies of scale, the Times can keep the paper high brow since 84% of its readership are educated to 3rd/4th level. Other papers don't have that luxury. Indo, for example only has 21% ABC1 compared to 67% with the Times. Interesting stat for WH, btw, 61% of the times readership is Dublin based.

White Horse

We need a greater presence for centre-right media in the Irish market to balance things out a bit.
There is a lack of balance in the Irish media.

I envy the variety of opinions in the English print media.

I take the Telegraph and the Observer each Sunday and enjoy comparing their different perspectives on the same stories.

orbit

Speaking of the Dublin Times. Maybe it should be called the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Times.

Based on this report in today's paper by Fiona Gartland, the DLR development plan is for the whole of "Greater Dublin" :D

Plan for greater Dublin approved - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 12, 2010

I know Dun Laoghaire is a "great" place and all, and maybe it is "greater" adjectivally, but it certainly isn't Greater Dublin.

Slap on the wrist there for Ms Gartland, and the sub-editor :lol:

danger here

Speaking of the Dublin Times. Maybe it should be called the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Times.
I often think the same about the Dun Laoghaire Rathdown Green Party.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies