• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Changes to Newstalk weekend schedule

gijoe

I cannot find any announcement on their website of a new schedule. But already Brendan O'Brien said this morning that that was the last programme of Saturday Edition. No mention was made as to what, if any, new programme was replacing it, or will the slot go just to repeats? Down to Business with Mark Mortell (who is going back to FG full-time IIRC) is moving from its 12-2pm Saturday slot to a one hour 10-11am Sunday slot, but that puts in the same time slot of TodayFM's business programme! That Sunday slot is currently occupied by Karen Coleman's Wide Angle - if she is gone then good riddance to bad rubbish.

I was not listening to to what's her name on Weekend Blend so I do not know if that programme is affected. You would think that they would make this information available to listeners on their website but I certainly could not find it if it is there.

johntrenchard

they should move the dunphy time slot as it clashes with sam smyth on todayfm.

i'm sure i'm not the only one who finds themselves flicking between the two and would like to listen to BOTH shows.

Boy M5

Mortell's & Today's business programmes are good far better than Gorgeous George on RTE. Why is DOB putting 2 of his channels competing against each other?
I quite liked Brendan O'Brien. Also Karen Coleman is good but can wander up blind alleys. Her programme on the Macondo incident was excellent & objective. It was clear hoiw much scapegoating of BP & its current management was going on.

Dian Cécht

Newstalk is the Fox news of liberal media. It’s going down the pan slowly but surely. I can’t wait until it’s finally gone. However, I would like to see a more balanced news orientated station take its place.

It is a real pity that they are changing Down to Business .In my view its the best business show on Radio,I find Mark Moretell very good .I just emailed them to find out if the markets update from that guy from the spreadbetting firm will continue on the Sunday show as I find it good ,but I believe they are axing that slot ,shame.
To put two business shows on at the same time on newstalk and today FM seems very stupid.

spotty

Spotty wishes they would bring back Brenda Power. Spotty put in manys the morning daydreaming to the dulcet and husky tones of Ms. Power.

johntrenchard

Newstalk is the Fox news of liberal media. It’s going down the pan slowly but surely. I can’t wait until it’s finally gone. However, I would like to see a more balanced news orientated station take its place.
Is it just me or does Moncrieff seem to have a fixation on all things Islam?

The subject seems to come up so regularly I've given up and just switched over to Whineline.

politicaldonations

Dunphy should do a longer show like in his beloved france where there would be 5 hour debates on tv over any national economic crisis.

johntrenchard

Dunphy should do a longer show like in his beloved france where there would be 5 hour debates on tv over any national economic crisis.
Would love that - Dunphy has been getting better and better over the past few months. Great show that deserves a big fat Sunday morning 5 hour slot.

uriah

They should give his own slot to Ed Walsh.

Fides

Suspect Today FM will go 100% music with Newstalk as the talking station. Economics will dictate thta. Like having Newstalk as an alternative to RTE and suspect I listen to it more.

gijoe

Suspect Today FM will go 100% music with Newstalk as the talking station. Economics will dictate thta. Like having Newstalk as an alternative to RTE and suspect I listen to it more.
That's what I think will happen as well. And tbh it makes real sense from BAI's perspective. Have TodayFM going head to head with 2FM and Newstalk with Radio One. All it will require is to shift the Last Word and Matt Cooper over to Newstalk - Hookie just does not work anymore anyway.

I think that line up would give RTE real competition.

grassroots

That's what I think will happen as well. And tbh it makes real sense from BAI's perspective. Have TodayFM going head to head with 2FM and Newstalk with Radio One. All it will require is to shift the Last Word and Matt Cooper over to Newstalk - Hookie just does not work anymore anyway.

I think that line up would give RTE real competition.
Put Ivan on the 1pm slot as well.

Boy M5

It is a real pity that they are changing Down to Business .In my view its the best business show on Radio,I find Mark Moretell very good .I just emailed them to find out if the markets update from that guy from the spreadbetting firm will continue on the Sunday show as I find it good ,but I believe they are axing that slot ,shame.
To put two business shows on at the same time on newstalk and today FM seems very stupid.
Spot on that spreadbetting guy is excellent. They should give him the gig.

Boy M5

Very good point & entirely logical

slippy wicket

Spotty wishes they would bring back Brenda Power. Spotty put in manys the morning daydreaming to the dulcet and husky tones of Ms. Power.
Good god man take a cold shower, between this and your devotion to Fidelma Healy-Eames, you must not have time for anything else.

Keep it up. your posts brighten up my day.:)

deiseguy

They're monkeying around with the weekday schedule as well. Kiberd is only on for an hour 12-1pm now and then whathisface(is it Healy?) is on from 1-1.30pm then Moncrief 'til 4.30. I thought Kiberd was doing a good job but it would look like he was being turned off at 1 in time for the bup..bup...bup

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
According to Newstalk's site the new schedule for Saturdays sees Sile Seoige do a show and George Hook doing a two hour show (which I've been told won't be live - it'll be pre-recorded). By the looks of it, the changes to the Saturday schedule is massive cutback in live output - extremely disappointing methinks.

Henry McKean 9am - 10am

‘Under the Covers with Henry McKean’ (9am – 10am Saturday) will see Henry take listeners inside his world, as he gives his take on the week’s big stories and presents tales of his adventures countrywide.
George Hook 10am - Midday

George Hook will present a new show on Saturday mornings from 10am – midday, which will review stories from during the week on Newstalk and beyond, and take the listener on a journey remembering some of the most momentous events in our history.
Sile Seoige Midday - 2pm

We’ll be welcoming Síle Seoige as the latest addition to the Newstalk team. She will present a two hour programme every Saturday afternoon from noon until 2 pm, commencing October 23rd.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies