Charge €6 a year for travel pass to wipe out Bus Éireann deficit - FG TD

ger12

Jim Daly, Fine Gael Cork South West TD, speaking on the Cork Today show on C103′s Cork Today Show said:
"There are 1.3 million free travel pass holders in the country, the shortfall at Bus Éireann is €6 million so if one million of those people paid €6 … that would wipe out the deficit."

I know the danger is always that this €6 could increase in time, but you could legislate to protect against that.

In fairness, I think this is a good idea. He rightly pointed out that reduction/removal of rural services would be devastating.

Although, in the large scheme of things, a shortfall of €6 million is peanuts.

Cork TD says people should pay

ger12

Should be done.
Something should only be given for free if affordable.
A shortfall of €6 million isn't going to break Noonans bank in fairness.

But neither will €6. A compromise, but I wouldn't like to see it rise above that.

sic transit

The problem is Expessway, which is not subsidised and which competes as a private operator but with BE salaries and conditions.

asset test

So what that would do is subsidise a loss making arm of the company instead of making it be competitive. Basically FTP holders would be asked to prop up the non competitive terms and conditions of BE Expressway drivers.

Rural bus services (non Expressway) are not affected as they are subsidised under PSO, and are ok afaik, although I would have thought there are areas that could be served by minibus type transport like the former "Imps" that were around in Dublin a few years ago.

I have no problem with FTPs paying 20c a week from their DSP payments, but not if it is just masking a bigger problem.

ShoutingIsLeadership

How about they just fund public services properly?

All this shyte talk of deficits and making losses - public services are supposed to cost money.

Right wing FG/Shane Ross ideological agenda.

And FG wonders why it is hanging around the twenties in polls

bonkers

Jim Daly, Fine Gael Cork South West TD, speaking on the Cork Today show on C103′s Cork Today Show said:
"There are 1.3 million free travel pass holders in the country, the shortfall at Bus Éireann is €6 million so if one million of those people paid €6 … that would wipe out the deficit."

I know the danger is always that this €6 could increase in time, but you could legislate to protect against that.

In fairness, I think this is a good idea. He rightly pointed out that reduction/removal of rural services would be devastating.

Although, in the large scheme of things, a shortfall of €6 million is peanuts.

Cork TD says people should pay
How much does this clown get in travel expenses?

Ellen Ripley

Some elderly rely very much on the Travel Pass, but those in isolated areas can rarely avail of it.

Yet I know of a few very active well-off pensioners who own cars but wouldn't dream of using them; they take long bus and train trips from one end of the country to the other, Killarney for the weekend, etc.

I would suggest (not that they'll be asking for my recommendations) a nominal annual renewal charge, say €10-20, which wouldn't hurt anyone too much, or a small charge per journey for long-distance travel.
The government would recoup some of the losses incurred by pensioners who travel to Dublin for the day by train and return immediately, just to keep warm in Winter. (It does happen)

Let us not forget the really sick and inactive pensioners who have been hammered by hugely increased prescription charges in the last few Budgets; they don't get to travel anywhere for recreation..

ShoutingIsLeadership

So what that would do is subsidise a loss making arm of the company instead of making it be competitive. Basically FTP holders would be asked to prop up the non competitive terms and conditions of BE Expressway drivers.

Rural bus services (non Expressway) are not affected as they are subsidised under PSO, and are ok afaik, although I would have thought there are areas that could be served by minibus type transport like the former "Imps" that were around in Dublin a few years ago.

I have no problem with FTPs paying 20c a week from their DSP payments, but not if it is just masking a bigger problem.

Do you know any of the detail of the allegedly uncompetitive terms and conditions of BE workers?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Some elderly rely very much on the Travel Pass, but those in isolated areas can rarely avail of it.

Yet I know of a few very active well-off pensioners who own cars but wouldn't dream of using them; they take long bus and train trips from one end of the country to the other, Killarney for the weekend, etc.

I would suggest (not that they'll be asking for my recommendations) a nominal annual renewal charge, say €10-20, which wouldn't hurt anyone too much, or a small charge per journey for long-distance travel.
The government would recoup some of the losses incurred by pensioners who travel to Dublin for the day by train and return immediately, just to keep warm in Winter. (It does happen)

Let us not forget the really sick and inactive pensioners who have been hammered by hugely increased prescription charges in the last few Budgets; they don't get to travel anywhere for recreation..

It's a messed up country where the solution to people taking a free bus so that they can keep warm, is to charge them for that bus trip

enuffisenuff

yep..the same old solution...a fooking levy....just like everything else...bravo

asset test

Do you know any of the detail of the allegedly uncompetitive terms and conditions of BE workers?
Well now I don't have those figures to hand of course not. But if they are making a loss on Expressway routes that are packed to rafters on privately licensed operators buses, (their competitors) it isn't that difficult to figure it out.

Maybe it has something to do with the terms and conditions of Expressway drivers compared to those of the private operators. But the private operators never seem to be short of drivers and operate within the terms of their license and H+S of course.

sic transit

We are probably at the point of means testing the Pass, with those in more comfortable retirement contributing in some form to their pass, even on a graded basis. A simple charge could have them all out on the streets and it would not even get past the Dail.

constitutionus

what is it with blueshirts and their desire to charge for everything ?

wexfordman

How about before increasing charges we make sure the company is run in a cost effective manner?
I have no problem with asking people to pay a mere 6 euro for their annual travel, but I don't like the idea of the company not having to ensure it is run eff3ctively

irish_bob

FF would oppose such a move , dilly o wea would be bouncing around , labelling it an attack on the elderly

ShoutingIsLeadership

Well now I don't have those figures to hand of course not. But if they are making a loss on Expressway routes that are packed to rafters on privately licensed operators buses, (their competitors) it isn't that difficult to figure it out.

Maybe it has something to do with the terms and conditions of Expressway drivers compared to those of the private operators. But the private operators never seem to be short of drivers and operate within the terms of their license and H+S of course.

So, you're speculating and assuming that BE workers are in clover?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies