Charities in Ireland

Bertie's Hat

I'm a big old sceptic when it comes to charities, I believe that many are inefficient and in some instances the people who run them cream off them. There also seem to be far too many for a country of 4.5 million people, particularly when it comes to certain issues (e.g. homelessness).

What charities in Ireland do you have time for (and would contribute to) and which do you distrust?

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

loner

I'm a big old sceptic when it comes to charities, I believe that many are inefficient and in some instances the people who run them cream off them. There also seem to be far too many for a country of 4.5 million people, particularly when it comes to certain issues (e.g. homelessness).

What charities in Ireland do you have time for (and would contribute to) and which do you distrust?

With the number of scams and the huge salaries for executives I do not trust any of them

Telstar 62

I used to think that they were just gangster executives lining their
own pockets.

Now it seems that they were also a magnet for paedophile/sexual
exploitation hustlers - at least the international ones...:shock:

asset test

None of them anymore. Some are too cash rich, some are far too political, some are creaming it, some are well looking good but.., I just don't get it anymore.

Charities for vital services should never exist, that is outsourcing, but they should never need donations either. What are we paying our taxes for?

Voluntary things like animal shelters and the like are ok I suppose. But other than that I have little faith sorry.

Bertie's Hat

None of them anymore. Some are too cash rich, some are far too political, some are creaming it, some are well looking good but.., I just don't get it anymore.

Charities for vital services should never exist, that is outsourcing, but they should never need donations either. What are we paying our taxes for?

Voluntary things like animal shelters and the like are ok I suppose. But other than that I have little faith sorry.
Agree re certain services, particularly for hospitals which we pay for already through tax.

asset test

Agree re certain services, particularly for hospitals which we pay for already through tax.

Agreed, I get lots of pleadings for donations to CRC, Our Lady's Hospital and the likes. Accompanied by pics of little kids in treatment.

That is already paid for by us surely.

I am sorry if I sound heartless but I am often livid at this.

buttercookie

Dont give to any of them anymore, too much admin costs and too much duplication of resources going on.

tigerben

I know , but I do give to Marymount, they do fabulous work. That’s my one charity I give too .

asset test

Dont give to any of them anymore, too much admin costs and too much duplication of resources going on.
Correct, for example how many homeless charities are out there now? Duplication indeed. And multiple CEOs and empire building and all the rest of it. They all get grants from Government too it has to be said. Do not forget that.

I choose where my donations go now, and they do not go anywhere near a place that is already funded by taxpayers at all.. Sorry if that sounds bad but it is my decision.

asset test

I know , but I do give to Marymount, they do fabulous work. That’s my one charity I give too .
OK, reveal.... my younger sister died there a few years ago and they looked after her so well. Why do places like that need donations though? There is no way that terminally ill people should rely on donations to keep the place going.

Wonderful place, if you can say that about a sibling who died there, but I am sure you know what I mean.

tigerben

They need to raise 30% of the cost through fundraising. My uncle died in the south infirmary last year , he couldn’t be moved to Marymount due to bleeding out and he had a Marymount nurse in the south who could give the extra dosage of pain killers.
I remember the old Marymount , my grandmother died there and a bleak grey place it was, the new Marymount is a hospice and respite care and now they allow patients a ( alcoholic) drink if they want and rooms are so bright and comfortable. Unfortunately as a family we seem to have the cancer gene rife on both sides , so I don’t think we’ve seen the last of Marymount.

storybud1

Charities are great for politicians who cannot do their job, they take loads of attention away from the incompetent politicians.

Scitlipo

I remember Mary Davis making a big show of how wonderful she was at organising some charity or other-and getting handsomely paid- and I thought of all the tens of thousands of unpaid and unsung volunteers all over the country.
I once worked for a not-for-profit and was disgusted to hear colleagues and their peers from other foundations at a luncheon try to figure out which of them had visited the most countries in a 24 hour period, and if they managed to get in a little sightseeing.

Turbinator

Been to a couple of capitals in poor African countries and its aid agency staff that keep the luxury hotels going by all accounts

Bertie's Hat

I remember Mary Davis making a big show of how wonderful she was at organising some charity or other-and getting handsomely paid- and I thought of all the tens of thousands of unpaid and unsung volunteers all over the country.
I once worked for a not-for-profit and was disgusted to hear colleagues and their peers from other foundations at a luncheon try to figure out which of them had visited the most countries in a 24 hour period, and if they managed to get in a little sightseeing.
Disgraceful attitudes, no wonder people have become sceptical.

I remember in my old (convent) secondary school the pupils from every class would organise fundraising events for Christmas - bake sales, fashion shows, no uniform day etc. Nuns involved with the school (some of whom were not the nicest individuals) used to administer the proceeds and the only word was that it was for "charity".

We never heard where it went, I mentioned my scepticism to some of my classmates at the time and it was shot down. I wondered then and now were they pocketing some of it.

Really I trust very few people as a result of mostly my own life experiences, and knowing others...

Watcher2

Give to community endeavours such as your local football/soccer clubs, scouting groups etc. These local grassroots groups and service providers tend to be very well run and run by volunteers that take nothing financially. A lot of work goes on behind the scenes and people give up huge chunks of their time in order to give something back to the community or have the facilities for the communities (and their own children), but I know of some of these volunteers whose own children are long gone from the clubs.

And before your grubby little minds (its p.ie) might think, no, they are not paedophiles.

fifilawe

Virtue signalling, ego-boosting , vanity projects just like her colleague mr bo****X

Old Mr Grouser

Give to community endeavours such as your local football/soccer clubs, scouting groups etc.

These local grassroots groups and service providers tend to be very well run and run by volunteers that take nothing financially.

A lot of work goes on behind the scenes and people give up huge chunks of their time in order to give something back to the community or have the facilities for the communities (and their own children), but I know of some of these volunteers whose own children are long gone from the clubs.

And before your grubby little minds (its p.ie) might think, no, they are not paedophiles.
Very true, Watcher, but you must have hear people say, "Who would have thought it; he/she always seemed so nice". And it's very likely you've had need to say it yourself.

It's always the nice ones that you most need to watch.

Charities have to be regulated and there must be thorough and frequent audits; not just token checks that the books, as written down, balance.

Lagertha

I give to animal rescue and local bag pack events. I'm happy to do that. I don't give to large organisations because I believe they are creaming it off the top and I'd love to see a break down of all the figures for all of the NGO's. I think people would be outraged at the waste of resources.

New Threads

Most Replies