• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Charles Bianconi and the transport revolution

JohnD66

Interesting article here on Charles Bianconi, an Italian immigrant who from the 1820s set up a revolutionary new system of cheap transport via horse drawn coaches.

Charles Bianconi and The Transport Revolution, 1800

What I particularly like is the way he adapted to the coming of railways - he didn't compete with them on the main routes but set up new routes perpendicular to the rail lines linking different services. And when he died he left his business to his employees apparently.

DanBreen

Twitter
Your having a laugh, twitters for twits.
Thanks for that but this bit is surely wrong distance wise? "The trip on the meandering River Suir was 24 miles, twice the overland distance, and the river being tidal, the timing of the trips was dictated by the tides. It was at this point that the germ of an idea, planted during his days of humping his wares around on his back, began to take root. “It grew out of my back!” he would joke in later years when asked about how he thought of the idea for his car service. (Commonly in 1800 the word ‘car’ was used to denote a small horse drawn passenger conveyance)."

Last edited:

JohnD66

Thanks for that but this bit is surely wrong distance wise? "The trip on the meandering River Suir was 24 miles, twice the overland distance, and the river being tidal, the timing of the trips was dictated by the tides. It was at this point that the germ of an idea, planted during his days of humping his wares around on his back, began to take root. “It grew out of my back!” he would joke in later years when asked about how he thought of the idea for his car service. (Commonly in 1800 the word ‘car’ was used to denote a small horse drawn passenger conveyance)."
Mmm well if the author says it was twice the distance by river as by overland then 24 miles (c 38km) v 12 miles (c19km) doesn't look too far off to me based on this https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&gl=ie&daddr=cahir&saddr=clonmel&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=KeUkD2n9MUNIMUDyMZepxwAK;KbE-4_iJNUNIMVCXMZepxwAK&ei=dZrLUMWtIs6DhQfQn4GgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q-A8wAA But I don't really know personally.

Roman Emperor

Mmm well if the author says it was twice the distance by river as by overland then 24 miles (c 38km) v 12 miles (c19km) doesn't look too far off to me based on this https://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&safe=off&ie=UTF-8&gl=ie&daddr=cahir&saddr=clonmel&panel=1&f=d&fb=1&dirflg=d&geocode=KeUkD2n9MUNIMUDyMZepxwAK;KbE-4_iJNUNIMVCXMZepxwAK&ei=dZrLUMWtIs6DhQfQn4GgDQ&sqi=2&ved=0CC4Q-A8wAA But I don't really know personally.
I'd say the Suir from Carrick to Waterford is around 18 miles.

Bianconi and his family are buried in a chapel beside the parish church in Boherlahan.

Analyzer

Is it true that he kept to timetable better tha Iarnroid Eireann ?

Progress is just, isn't it ?

Campion

One of the English newspapermen sent to Mayo in 1879-80 to cover the Land War wrote that a fully occupied Bianconi car, with six legs hanging out to either side, looked like a crab on wheels.

Catalpast

If he were alive in the Ireland of today

- he'd just be spinning wheels......:?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies