Charles to lose out on Head of Commonwealth role

Niall996

I know The Commonwealth is very much a extreme minority interest area and this rather bizarre grouping of countries is of no international significance but it's very important to the Queen apparently and the royals generally, some in Britain, the DUP and a few African dictators. And from my experience on P.ie one or two on here.

Turns out the 'Head of' position is not an automatic hereditary position and with the Queen coming to the end of her shift, and one wanting Charles, the 'leaders' are meeting in secret to figure out who will be the next head.

Commonwealth leaders 'begin secret talks on who should replace the Queen' | The Independent

It puts into perspective the daftness of those in Ireland who over the years have suggested Ireland join this crackpot institution.

Nedz Newt

Frankie Feighan is available....

CookieMonster

I know The Commonwealth is very much a extreme minority interest area and this rather bizarre grouping of countries is of no international significance but it's very important to the Queen apparently and the royals generally, some in Britain, the DUP and a few African dictators. And from my experience on P.ie one or two on here.

Turns out the 'Head of' position is not an automatic hereditary position and with the Queen coming to the end of her shift, and one wanting Charles, the 'leaders' are meeting in secret to figure out who will be the next head.

Commonwealth leaders 'begin secret talks on who should replace the Queen' | The Independent

It puts into perspective the daftness of those in Ireland who over the years have suggested Ireland join this crackpot institution.
Oh no, I can't even begin to describe how much I don't care.

Catalpast

Well we had 'ComExit' back in '49

- so who is the Head of it now is of no Constitutional concern to this State

TBH I think they should wind it up when the Queen Elizabeth is dead

- bury it also...

No one seriously thinks it will be around in 2049....

Bill

They should give the Canadian fella the job.

milipod

[video=youtube;YyknBTm_YyM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyknBTm_YyM[/video]

NYCKY

What about Michael D? He may have some free time on his hands soon.

Mick Mac

Well we had 'ComExit' back in '49

- so who is the Head of it now is of no Constitutional concern to this State

TBH I think they should wind it up when the Queen Elizabeth is dead

- bury it also...

No one seriously thinks it will be around in 2049....
The Commonwealth , the UK or both?

former wesleyan

Martin Mansergh's father was the acknowledged historian of record on the Commonwealth. Allegedly.

former wesleyan

GDPR

I reckon Charles will be the next head because the Commonwealth will fall to bits without having a Brit royal at its head. It is unifying. And the leaders who comprise the meetings are snobs and love to galivant around with real Royals.

Sync

But according to documents seen by the BBC, the high level group will just confine itself just to bureaucratic changes. Its remit will reportedly include how the Secretariat is run and funded, how a new Secretary-General is chosen, and the balance of power between governors and the executive committee.

One insider said: “I imagine the question of the succession, however distasteful it may naturally be, will come up.”
Stirring stuff. Definitely warrants a topic heading of “Charles to lose out on role” which isn’t true to any extent...

It’s a reasonable idea, particularly with Brexit that a more business, trade focused and proactive leader be appointed.

It falls apart until the other members awkwardly point out “so you understand that in a vote a UK representative is unlikely to win that position correct?” and then the Brits decide the status quo is better.

former wesleyan

Shucks, everyone is a Sir to me, Sir Former Wes.

Unless of course they're a Ma'am.

I'm Old Skool that way.
You should move to the Phillipines. They' d Sir and Ma'am you to distraction.

New Threads

Most Replies