Charles Visits Irish Embassy in London - Queen to Visit

former wesleyan

I think we should settle the "should Celtic fans accept the poppy " question before we move on to weightier matters.

Kev408

The british royal family were put on this earth to do do.

Tomas Mor

Good to see people like Willie Walsh and other Irish wear the poppy at the event and not lean towards the negativism we see here about it.

Éamonn an Chnoic

I wish she would just come over so we can get it over and done with. How long is this being talked about? Twenty years? Its insane, she is the head of state of one of our closest allies. We should put on a great show for her, stick the boot in anyone who attempts anything but a peaceful protest to her visit.

I have no real opinion on her, but i couldnt care less either way as long as the visit isnt hijacked by the disenfranchised amongst us to highlight there personal grievances.

tá failte romhat

Clanrickard

Good to see people like Willie Walsh and other Irish wear the poppy at the event and not lean towards the negativism we see here about it.
It is disgusting to see this gimp wear a poppy. It is truly sad to see the crawlers and arselickers out in force for this jug eared dysfunctional wally. Good to see Bob Geldof not wearing the hideous flower.

Arracht

Has an estimate been put on the security cost of a visit by Mrs Windsor yet? I'd imagine it won't be in the same ball park as a visit by the queen of Denmark and we are told the country is broke.

Will the British crown be asked to share the excessive cost as the Vatican was rightly asked to share in the cost of the Popes visit to Britain?

Clanrickard

I wish she would just come over so we can get it over and done with. How long is this being talked about? Twenty years? Its insane, she is the head of state of one of our closest allies. We should put on a great show for her, stick the boot in anyone who attempts anything but a peaceful protest to her visit.

I have no real opinion on her, but i couldnt care less either way as long as the visit isnt hijacked by the disenfranchised amongst us to highlight there personal grievances.

tá failte romhat
If she comes I'd like to see her lay a wreath at the GPO. Better still she could come for Easter Monday parade and be at the reviewing stand with the President.

White Rose

Has an estimate been put on the security cost of a visit by Mrs Windsor yet? I'd imagine it won't be in the same ball park as a visit by the queen of Denmark and we are told the country is broke.

Will the British crown be asked to share the excessive cost as the Vatican was rightly asked to share in the cost of the Popes visit to Britain?
Whatever it costs put on a good show (best face forward and all that)

That should attract back a fair few British visitors that we have been losing

johnfás

The Vatican was asked to fund the cost of the aspect of the Pope's visit to Britain which were not in keeping with a standard state visit - i.e. open air masses in parks etc. The British Government paid, as any state does, for the standard costs of the state visit.

Of course, if people didn't threaten violence and rather had a track record of peaceful protest, the potential security cost would be far less than is likely the case.

White Rose

Yes the witch should tour the Famine sites along with tens of thousands of her loyal subjects.
There's a few already here. :)
Blair apologised on behalf of the British people for the Famine

Can we just move on a bit. My point is that if the visit costs 2 million and the benefits to tourism are 20 million, then it's worth doing well

Arracht

Of course, if people didn't threaten violence and rather had a track record of peaceful protest, the potential security cost would be far less than is likely the case.
That is undoubtably true but the fact remains that any such visit is going to be excessively costly to the Irish taxpayer at a time when the public finances are in the toilet.

The reality is that the vast majority of Irish people are going to be apathetic to any visit and a small minority violently opposed. Unless unionists are drafted in from the north I can't see where the cheering crowds are going to come from.

johnfás

It is somewhat ironic that people with an unhealthy obsession with the political status of Northern Ireland get so hysterical about a visit by a figure head with no power, yet make no mention of a visit by a delegation of British MPs to Dublin this week - they being the ones who actually do have power. Suppose there wasn't as much scope to get yourself on telly in a Celtic shirt this week.

Arracht

Can we just move on a bit. My point is that if the visit costs 2 million and the benefits to tourism are 20 million, then it's worth doing well
I know those numbers are off the top of your head but I'd be very interested in seeing an actual cost/benefit analysis of this proposed visit.

White Rose

every old dear over the age of 60 will be out to have a look- that's where the crowds will come from

White Rose

I know those numbers are off the top of your head but I'd be very interested in seeing an actual cost/benefit analysis of this proposed visit.
Unfortunately it's not possible to do a cost benefit analysis. It's a bit like the Irish fans at Italia 90. Who would have thought their behaviour would lead to an upsurge in tourism from Italian visitors to Ireland in the following few years

It annoys me when people query the cost of EVERYTHING. (headline in tomorrows Irish Independent- MacAleese spends 70000 euro on clothes) How about the benefit putting on a good show (not just for the queen but for all visiting dignitaries). Ireland is putting its face forward and we should not scrimp and scrape on this. The Chinese understand this sort of stuff very well.

Clanrickard

Unfortunately it's not possible to do a cost benefit analysis. It's a bit like the Irish fans at Italia 90. Who would have thought their behaviour would lead to an upsurge in tourism from Italian visitors to Ireland in the following few years

It annoys me when people query the cost of EVERYTHING. (headline in tomorrows Irish Independent- MacAleese spends 70000 euro on clothes) How about the benefit putting on a good show (not just for the queen but for all visiting dignitaries). Ireland is putting its face forward and we should not scrimp and scrape on this. The Chinese understand this sort of stuff very well.
You make a good point. I have no objection to her coming here. My problem is the West Brits will come crawling out of the wood work and we will be inundated with calls to "move on" "reach out" blah blah which will be code for sanitizing some of our history. Our President visits WWI sites , we have so called Peace Parks where Irish men in the British army are remembered but I see very little sign of reciprocity. If this visit is to mean anyhting then showing some regard for the Famine and 1916 the two most seminal moments in modern Irish history would seem to be a must.

White Rose

You make a good point. I have no objection to her coming here. My problem is the West Brits will come crawling out of the wood work and we will be inundated with calls to "move on" "reach out" blah blah which will be code for sanitizing some of our history. Our President visits WWI sites , we have so called Peace Parks where Irish men in the British army are remembered but I see very little sign of reciprocity. If this visit is to mean anyhting then showing some regard for the Famine and 1916 the two most seminal moments in modern Irish history would seem to be a must.
I'm sure some mention will be made of the Famine

1916 is a bit more tricky. Maybe she could go into the GPO to buy some stamps and they could say that this was a symbolic moment

New Threads

Most Replies