Charlie Flanagan next

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Dara Callery: "in fairness to Charlie Flanagan last night, he showed and he demonstrated an awareness of the seriousness of this situation in a way that Frances Fitzgerald never did".
https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2017/1129/923583-politics/
but he didn't read the email as soon as he heard about it

lostexpectation

Website
I apologise to Deputy Alan Kelly on two counts. First, for my intemperate comments in the House on November 15 when I stated that Deputy Kelly was engaged in a smear campaign against me. I had been told by people in my constituency and beyond that Deputy Kelly was making very negative comments about me in their presence. I have always considered Deputy Kelly to be a good colleague, both in this Parliament and Government. I confess I was taken aback and offended when these remarks were made to me. I fully accept that I reacted badly. I apologise to Deputy Kelly and to the House and withdraw my remarks in their entirety.
Dáil Éireann - 28/Nov/2017 Justice Issues: Statements

he manages to get a smear in over his apology that he was smeared

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
I wonder what Kelly was telling people privately, and what Flanagan heard about them after the inevitable game of Chinese whispers!
that he wasn't answering questions and knew more then he says which we all believe to be true

JoanBRUTAL

There's gonna be no where to hide when they find more evidence that was being hidden accidentally on purpose , he was asked had he reported it to the Guards by Howlin , it cut off before he answered

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
that he wasn't answering questions and knew more then he says which we all believe to be true
That's hardly controversial, really. And not much to get offended about. Sort of painting the divil that everyone knows exists on the wall. Kinder people call such political behaviour nothing worse than "caginess".

It would have to be more than that to qualify as a "smear" imo.

Kilbarry

Charlie Flanagan Next [3] and Nora Wall

Originally posted by Kilbarry1

And this is why I want Charlie's goose cooked.
https://irishsalem.blogspot.ie/2017/10/justice-minister-charlie-flanagan-and_3.html
Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan and Former FG Chair Phil Hogan Vs George Hook and Nora Wall
I find it odd, even suspect, that some people who complain that some person or other has been traduced or even libeled goes on to aggravate the supposed harm done by blogging about it, publicizing it and generally drawing the attention of new audiences and old to stuff that would otherwise be forgettable.
Nothing odd or suspect about it. The then Charlie Flanagan TD libeled Nora Wall (formerly Sister Dominic of the Sisters of Mercy) in the Dail in 2009. He repeated an allegation that the Sunday World had to apologise and pay damages for in 2002. It is POSSIBLE that Charlie didn't know about the Sunday World libel case as it was practically ignored by the media at the time - I think Phoenix magazine was the only exception. He most certainly did know that he could not be sued for what he said in the Dail.
Nora Wall, Paul Williams, Sunday World Libel, Sunday World Apology, "The Phoenix" magazine

Very few members of the public are aware of Charlie's libel. That's one reason why he himself felt free to accuse Alan Kelly of a "smear campaign" against him. IF the facts of the Nora Wall libel were widely known then people would have laughed at Charlie and said - "Oh really, how sensitive you are. Was Alan's smear worse than what you said about Nora Wall?" However the media have ensured that the public are unaware of Charlie's history in the "smear" area, so he can play the injured innocent!

This gives details of both Nora Wall cases i.e. the Sunday World in 2002 AND Charlie Flanagan in 2009.
https://irishsalem.blogspot.ie/2017/09/justice-minister-charlie-flanagan.html
Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan, George Hook and Nora Wall [1]

Last edited:

Kilbarry

Charlie Flanagan and Ronan Mullen

......Very few members of the public are aware of Charlie's libel. That's one reason why he himself felt free to accuse Alan Kelly of a "smear campaign" against him. IF the facts of the Nora Wall libel were widely known then people would have laughed at Charlie and said - "Oh really, how sensitive you are. Was Alan's smear worse than what you said about Nora Wall?" However the media have ensured that the public are unaware of Charlie's history in the "smear" area, so he can play the injured innocent!

This gives details of both Nora Wall cases i.e. the Sunday World in 2002 AND Charlie Flanagan in 2009.
https://irishsalem.blogspot.ie/2017/09/justice-minister-charlie-flanagan.html
Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan, George Hook and Nora Wall [1]
For example suppose that Senator Ronan Mullen complained that Alan Kelly had launched a "smear campaign" against him AND let's also suppose that Ronan had a back story similar to Charlie's in the smear area. What are the chances that the media would fail to mention the initial smear?

Kilbarry

Secretary General of Dept of Justice Noel Waters Resigns - but NOT Charlie Flanagan

PressReader.com - Connecting People Through News
Departing Justice Boss Makes an Unprecedented Attack on Taoiseach

This article by Shane Phelan is at the bottom of page 6 of Wednesday's Indo (29 November). Yet it is highly significant. It may be unprecedented for a senior civil servant to make an attack on politicians but this is this is what Noel Waters has done in defense of his own staff in Dept. of Justice.

The departing secretary general of the Department of Justice fired a parting shot at TDs and the media as he retired yesterday with immediate effect. Noel Waters defiant email to colleagues notably came within hours of Taoiseach Leo Varadkar making a speech in which he described the department as "dysfunctional". Mr Waters ...claimed that much of the criticism voiced in the Dail and the press had been "unwarranted" and that he expected the department to be vindicated by an external inquiry......

While the headline highlights the role of Leo Varadkar, the article on top of page 6 is headed 'I Missed Significance of Email at Centre of Row' Admits Flanagan and features Charlie disclaiming personal responsibility and blaming his own officials. I should think THAT is the more likely cause of Noel Waters resignation!

Kilbarry

The Job No One Wants: Hunt For New Justice Chief Draws a Blank

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-job-no-one-wants-hunt-for-new-justice-chief-draws-a-blank-30701566.html
Is the above headline a bit premature? After all the previous Secretary General of Dept of Justice Noel Waters only resigned yesterday!

Well actually it isn't. The subheading is Kenny left embarrassed by failure to fill €176k-a-year job to overhaul department and article by Fionnan Sheahan is dated 29 October 2014 some months after the resignation of the previous Secretary General Brian Purcell.

Government plans to reform the Department of Justice have been dealt a fresh blow after a public service recruitment process failed to find a new secretary general. The Coalition is now poised to re-advertise the key €176,000-a-year job, which will focus on overhauling the department in the wake of the garda scandals. The development comes following a damning report which criticised the "closed secretive culture" and "leadership and management problems" at the department.

The absence of qualified applicants means "nobody has been recommended for appointment" and the recruitment process will have to be renewed, the Irish Independent has learned. Within the senior ranks of the public service, the post is viewed as something of a poisoned chalice. Some senior justice officials, who would have been regarded as contenders, did not apply for the post.

"Not all of those eligible did apply," a Coalition source said.
[My emphasis]
Following the controversial resignations in 2014 of the Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan and Justice Minister Alan Shatter, a review (the Toland Report published in July 2014) found that the Department of Justice and Equality was "dysfunctional" and had a "deferential relationship" with the Gardai. Following the Report, Brian Purcell resigned and Minister Frances Fitzgerald appointed Noel Waters, the director general of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, as acting secretary general in her department.

A new secretary general was supposed to restructure the Department, correct the "dysfunctionality", make it "accountable" etc but strangely enough nobody wanted the job.

Acting secretary general, Noel Waters, told the Public Accounts Committee in November 2015, that he himself had not applied for the €175,000 role for personal reasons. He said he had not wanted to leave his role in the immigration service, where he believed he had important work to do. He told the PAC that “There weren't very many people knocking on the door of the Public Appointments Service,” and that “we have been through a tough time. The Minister [Frances Fitzgerald] has said this may be a demotivating factor.”

Mr Waters told TDs he had initially been told he would be acting secretary general for a few weeks until the role was filled. But the role was never filled by anyone else, Noel Waters was appointed on a permanent basis in October 2016 and now has resigned - immediately after Frances Fitzgerald.
Department of Justice couldn't fill

At this stage Charlie Flanagan may find it difficult to get anyone to take the job even on an ACTING basis. Any "Acting" secretary general will probably fear being left holding a "poisoned chalice" that he cannot pass on to anyone else! After all Charlie has already made it clear that he is going to throw his civil servants to the wolves - and the Secretary General is the senior civil servant.

Last edited:

Kilbarry

Tribunal Finds Harrison Claims Without 'Validity'

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1130/924078-disclosures-tribunal/
Disclosures Tribunal fails its first test. FG/AGS axis triumphs.
The Disclosures Tribunal has found that all allegations of Garda Keith Harrison and Marissa Simms examined by the tribunal are "entirely without any validity". The conclusion is contained in the tribunal's second interim report. .......

The tribunal said: "All of the allegations of Garda Keith Harrison and Marisa Simms examined by the tribunal are entirely without any validity. "They have claimed to have been the victims of a malicious procession of events. "That is not so ... It is appropriate here to exonerate everyone in social services and in policing accused by them of discreditable conduct. That is the only possible conclusion to the tribunal's enquiry."

The report states that during the hearing "very serious allegations" by Mr Harrison and Ms Simms "simply collapsed". It said the social workers accused by them of abuse of office were "entitled to feel deeply upset at being targeted with such allegations". It concluded that there was no overreaction by Tusla in its dealing with Garda Harrison, in fact it found that there was an underreaction. ....

And presumably the Garda legal team adopted "aggressive tactics" against their accusers - the same kind of tactics they are being denounced for using in the case of Sergeant Maurice McCabe?

JoanBRUTAL

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/the-job-no-one-wants-hunt-for-new-justice-chief-draws-a-blank-30701566.html
Is the above headline a bit premature? After all the previous Secretary General of Dept of Justice Noel Waters only resigned yesterday!

Well actually it isn't. The subheading is Kenny left embarrassed by failure to fill €176k-a-year job to overhaul department and article by Fionnan Sheahan is dated 29 October 2014 some months after the resignation of the previous Secretary General Brian Purcell.

Following the controversial resignations in 2014 of the Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan and Justice Minister Alan Shatter, a review (the Toland Report published in July 2014) found that the Department of Justice and Equality was "dysfunctional" and had a "deferential relationship" with the Gardai. Following the Report, Brian Purcell resigned and Minister Frances Fitzgerald appointed Noel Waters, the director general of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service, as acting secretary general in her department.

A new secretary general was supposed to restructure the Department, correct the "dysfunctionality", make it "accountable" etc but strangely enough nobody wanted the job.

Acting secretary general, Noel Waters, told the Public Accounts Committee in November 2015, that he himself had not applied for the €175,000 role for personal reasons. He said he had not wanted to leave his role in the immigration service, where he believed he had important work to do. He told the PAC that “There weren't very many people knocking on the door of the Public Appointments Service,” and that “we have been through a tough time. The Minister [Frances Fitzgerald] has said this may be a demotivating factor.”

Mr Waters told TDs he had initially been told he would be acting secretary general for a few weeks until the role was filled. But the role was never filled by anyone else, Noel Waters was appointed on a permanent basis in October 2016 and now has resigned - immediately after Frances Fitzgerald.
Department of Justice couldn't fill

At this stage Charlie Flanagan may find it difficult to get anyone to take the job even on an ACTING basis. Any "Acting" secretary general will probably fear being left holding a "poisoned chalice" that he cannot pass on to anyone else! After all Charlie has already made it clear that he is going to throw his civil servants to the wolves - and the Secretary General is the senior civil servant.
175 ,000 a year , thrown to the wolves , who have no teeth , full pension and Im sure there are some top quality expenses you could claim , Sign me up Charlie , I'll be in tomorrow , I wont email , because you never open them , and I'll bring my own tape best to be safe than sacked ,

Kilbarry

Charlie Flanagan Welcomes Disclosures Tribunal Findings on Garda Harrison

Tribunal finds Harrison claims without 'validity'
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2017/1130/924078-disclosures-tribunal/

The Department of Justice said Minister Charlie Flanagan welcomed the report. It said: "The minister thanked the tribunal for its work in investigating the very serious allegations of improper conduct by gardaí and those working in social services. "He welcomed the central conclusion of the report that the allegations against the gardaí and social services personnel were found to be without any validity."

Isn't it about time that the allegations of Sergeant McCabe are also subjected to serious scrutiny. AND that everyone stops objecting to the "aggressive" tactics of the Garda legal team?

This is a summary of the findings of the O'Higgins Commission (Report published in May 2016 but everyone seems to have forgotten the details)
https://irishsalem.blogspot.ie/2017/11/sergeant-maurice-mccabe-and-corrupt.html
Sergeant Maurice McCabe and "Corrupt" Garda Officers

In Brief:

(i) The report cleared the former Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan of an allegation of corruption made by Sgt McCabe regarding the alleged placement of a senior officer on a promotion list. The allegation had no foundation
(ii) Complaints of corruption made by Sgt McCabe against Assistant Commissioner Derek Byrne, Chief Superintendent Colm Rooney and Superintendent Michael Clancy were all found to be hurtful and unfounded. Sergeant McCabe also made allegations against his immediate superior Inspector Noel Cunningham– later promoted to superintendent. These were also dismissed and categorised as “unjustified criticism".

(iii) Claims of corruption in investigations The report found no evidence of garda criminality or corruption, but found junior gardaí were allowed investigate cases without sufficient supervision from more senior officers.

(iv) The former justice minister Alan Shatter was also completely vindicated in the report. The commission of investigation found that Mr Shatter, who was the subject of an unprecedented, hate-filled campaign, did indeed take Sergeant McCabe's allegations "very seriously" and his actions on the matter were "entirely reasonable and appropriate". (Note: It was actually the publication of the report by Sean Guerin SC in May 2014 that caused the resignation of Alan Shatter - not testimony by Sergeant McCabe.)

MY QUERY:How is it possible for anyone to mistakenly accuse FIVE superior officers - and some colleagues - of corruption?

Kilbarry

The Job No One Wants: Hunt For New Justice Chief Draws a Blank [2]

175 ,000 a year , thrown to the wolves , who have no teeth , full pension and Im sure there are some top quality expenses you could claim , Sign me up Charlie , I'll be in tomorrow , I wont email , because you never open them , and I'll bring my own tape best to be safe than sacked ,
More than a year after Brian Purcell stepped aside from the post of Secretary General of Dept of Justice (July 2014) Minister Frances Fitzgerald had found no qualified person who would take the job. This is an article in the Examiner on 3 September 2015
Fennelly Fallout: Department of Justice still trying to shake the legacy of its past crises | Irish Examiner

The crisis-hit Department of Justice is facing a second year with no permanent senior civil servant at its helm as candidates run scared of taking over the job. A fresh recruitment campaign will have to be undertaken in another attempt to fill the position of secretary general which was first advertised without success last autumn. .....

Toland, which was commissioned by Justice Minister Frances Fitzgerald in the wake of the various scandals that dogged the reign of her predecessor Alan Shatter, found there was a “closed, secretive, and silo- driven culture” within the department. It said there were “significant leadership and management problems”, that relationships with key agencies were “informal and unstructured”, and management was not focused or proactive. ........

.....the legacy from the pre-Fitzgerald era drags on as she has failed to entice senior talent to the job of secretary general. The job was advertised and some candiates were assessed by the Public Appointments Service but the minister said: “Nobody was deemed to have reached the standard necessary to be secretary general.” She continued: “When we advertised the department was in the middle of a crisis situation. That obviously impacted on the numbers and calibre of people who applied.” Noel Waters, director of the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service stepped into the breach and has been filling the role in an acting capacity. Ms Fitzgerald said he was leading the department “very effectively”.

But she said a fresh recruitment campaign would have to be undertaken soon to find a candidate to fill the key post permanently.

Of course no-one was found, Noel Waters - who didn't want the job - was made permanent and now has resigned. At this stage it won't be easy to find someone to take the job even on an ACTING basis!

Kilbarry

Tribunal Finds Harrison Claims Without 'Validity' [2]

The following exchange comes from the related thread "O'Sullivan Personally Smeared McCabe". However it's 3 of of 12,000 plus posts on that thread so could easily be overlooked!

Originally Posted by MaireadKelly1
Well, he did not behave very honourably towards his partner, abusing her and cheating on her. He certainly did
not come across as a person of integrity as the case unfolded. Am personally not surprised at the verdict.
Yep, but the more concerning issue is how the spurious allegations of this chancer got to be given such credence by the media and some politicians to the extent that they even got to be included in a Tribunal at all.
The Wiltshire police recently concluded a major inquiry ("Operation Conifer") into child abuse and child murder allegations against former PM Ted Heath who died several years ago. I think they originally had over 100 allegations - including Satanic Ritual Abuse - but dismissed most of them out of hand and concentrated on 40. But the six Satanic Ritual Abuse allegations were NOT among the ones they dismissed out of hand. The Wiltshire police actually spent time investigating them! I suppose we can be grateful that they eventually concluded that the SRA allegations were unfounded!

HereWeGoAgain

NAMAwinelake‏
@namawinelake
23h23 hours ago
Published! Transcript of Charlie Flanagan roasting in the Dail on Tuesday evening. How on earth is he still a minister after these excuses and responses?
From page 82:

paddycomeback

No wonder Flanagan kept saying wait for Charleton.
It is like the Hutton Inquiry in to Dr Kelly.
Most people thought Blair would be put in the frame. Instead it was a establishment whitewash pinning blame on the BBC.
We were deluded to think a tribunal set up by the DoJ into itself could ever be fair.

Kilbarry

Civil Servants ‘Will Not be Subjected to a Witch hunt’

No wonder Flanagan kept saying wait for Charleton.
It is like the Hutton Inquiry in to Dr Kelly.
Most people thought Blair would be put in the frame. Instead it was a establishment whitewash pinning blame on the BBC.
We were deluded to think a tribunal set up by the DoJ into itself could ever be fair.
If this is supposed to be a Dept of Justice stitch-up it seems extraordinary that very senior civil servants there are claiming that they are being subjected to a witch-hunt.
https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/civil-servants-will-not-be-subjected-to-a-witch-hunt-1.3311512

Civil Servants ‘Will Not be Subjected to a Witch hunt’
Association of Higher and Civil Public Servants says members will not be ‘scapegoated’

The Association of Higher and Civil Public Servants said its members will not be “scapegoated” over failings in the Department of Justice. The blunt statement comes after Dáil comments from Taoiseach Leo Varadkar this week in which he promised to hold senior officials personally accountable over recent justice controversies. The responding statement marks a significant escalation of an unprecedented public row between senior officials and the political system.

While the ACHPS does not represent secretaries general, the most senior officials in government departments, its members comprise over 3,000 senior officials and managers in the civil service and semi-state sector....

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies