Cheap bootleg cigarettes taking over the market

patslatt

Test case in European Court of Justice

I thought that max allowance was done away with, no?

(Just have it in the back of my head that there was an EU ruling which went against it but not sure)
British customs were very aggressive in limiting booze imports by consumers and arbitrarily confiscated amounts beyond a few cases it seems. In a challenge in the ECJ to this,an individual won the right to import large quantities,a van load full. AFAIK,the principle is that you should be able to buy as much as you can consume over a long period.

louis bernard

Can’t understand all this Ho Ha about cigarettes, legal or illegal. Just give up smoking the horrible things like I did years ago.

B

Boggle

British customs were very aggressive in limiting booze imports by consumers and arbitrarily confiscated amounts beyond a few cases it seems. In a challenge in the ECJ to this,an individual won the right to import large quantities,a van load full. AFAIK,the principle is that you should be able to buy as much as you can consume over a long period.
Thanks Pat!

Knew there was something... How does that tie in with realists post?

DCon

Several written questions to Lenihan today on this.

*223. To ask the Minister for Finance the position regarding the Revenue
Commissioners analysis of the economics of tobacco here; the terms of reference,
methodology, persons conducting and objectives of this study; the anticipated completion
date; if it will be published; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Michael
Noonan. [37725/10]

*224. To ask the Minister for Finance the number of person’s who have phoned the
revenues cigarette smuggling hotline since its introduction; the number of these phone
calls which have directly led to cigarette seizures; and if he will make a statement on the
matter. — Michael Noonan. [37726/10]

*225. To ask the Minister for Finance his views on whether Ireland has the highest
level of cigarette smuggling in all of the 27 EU countries; from the information which he
has received both from secondary and primary sources, where, in his view, Ireland ranks
compared to other EU countries and globally for cigarette smuggling proportionate to our
population; and if he will make a statement on the matter. — Michael Noonan. [37727/10]
http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/op/Oct10/Questions/pq191010.pdf

patslatt

they are enjoyable.

quitting - increases risk of diabetes significantly.
Do cigs help partially with Alzeimers? I know smoking helps prevent an illness that causes soreness in the anus as a friend who quit developed it and had to restart smoking.

Cruimh

Do cigs help partially with Alzeimers? I know smoking helps prevent an illness that causes soreness in the anus as a friend who quit developed it and had to restart smoking.
There is a lot of evidence that nicotine is at least protective against some neurological disorders - and similarily helps protects against some gastro-intestinal problems. Then there is it's benefits in stress management.

Ethan Edwards

There are Romanian's in my area who have sold illegal cigs and diesel from their rented house, I rang the local guards when it was going on they were not interested in the slightest I could not believe it!

realist

Thanks Pat!

Knew there was something... How does that tie in with realists post?
Just checked on the Irish citizens information site and it looks like all allowances are the same as the UK except for cigarettes and smoking tobacco.

800 cigarettes (3200 UK)
1kg tobacco (3kgs UK)

TaxHavenSite

There are Romanian's in my area who have sold illegal cigs and diesel from their rented house, I rang the local guards when it was going on they were not interested in the slightest I could not believe it!
Dude,why would you rat out people for commiting a non-violent crime?

The local guards probably bought cigs from them when they were off duty :lol:

realist

There is a lot of evidence that nicotine is at least protective against some neurological disorders - and similarily helps protects against some gastro-intestinal problems. Then there is it's benefits in stress management.
My father smoked heavily for years until his doctor told him if he didn't give them up he would be dead within 5 years. He gave them up that day and the next morning he was rushed to hospital because all his veins had swollen up. The doctor told him to go straight back on the cigarettes. He eventually gave them up twenty five years later at the age of 78.

Cruimh

My father smoked heavily for years until his doctor told him if he didn't give them up he would be dead within 5 years. He gave them up that day and the next morning he was rushed to hospital because all his veins had swollen up. The doctor told him to go straight back on the cigarettes. He eventually gave them up twenty five years later at the age of 78.
It's also worth looking at longevity in Japan - heavy smokers - and France - according to the health freaks they should have low life expectancy but they don't.

constitutionus

on the OP.

Is anyone really surprised by this ?

seriously the only people in favour of putting the price up "for health reasons" were a bunch of D4 nutters who didnt smoke in the first place !

its no shock that the people they targeted, who generally DONT earn anywhere near what those luvvies do, decided to go black market.

i'd be shocked if the vast majority of the population doesnt know somebody from poland or eastern europe by now thatll bring em back a couple of cartons for a little kick back. and thats BEFORE you get to the people behind the door to door stuff.

last i heard this trade is now worth more than the illegal drug trade.

thank you micheal martin and co !

:)

Sean O'Brian

Surely there are safer ways to ingest nicotine than smoking? Like snus for instance.

Green eyed monster

Well, the taxes on cigarettes are mostly motivated by a small group of lunatics who want to save us from death. One of the best things I like about going abroad is lighting up in a pub - and I dont even generally smoke.
:)

I fully agree and it is funny to see you making this kind of comment on cigarette smoking because of your avatar, when i glance a bit askew at your avatar it looks like Jesus has a glass of bud in his left hand and a cigarette in his right while he looks deep in philosophical debate with someone just off the screen (giving off a cloud of red smoke (maybe in a disco?)).

Last edited:
Never mind all this shlte. How can I get hold of cheap cigarettes?

Green eyed monster

Never mind all this shlte. How can I get hold of cheap cigarettes?
Go on holiday to someplace like Bulgaria or even the Canary islands. Be careful what brand you get though, some of the worst ones indeed are quite bad for you - more so than brands common in Ireland - and some of them even can be fire hazards with solid components like pieces of wood in them that can flare or cause the head to fall off.

Your health is probably worth more than smoking really poor quality cigarettes.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom