Cheap Cigs on RTÉ

Cael

Just looking at RTÉ's advertisment for cheap cigs on primetime investigates. I dont smoke, but RTÉ are making it look so good, that I think I'll go out and buy a pack of Chinese Marlboros.

sheamuseen

Big RTE PrimeTime expose about fag smuggling, ahem, but what about criminal bankers?

Were gone - ************************************ - and RTE are running around chasing down a few auld conmen and we're letting them do it; we deserve it all!

atlantic

Cheap smokes are great .I get a supply every month legally .Ye can't blame people buying them there an awful price if your a smoker
Just looking at RTÉ's advertisment for cheap cigs on primetime investigates. I dont smoke, but RTÉ are making it look so good, that I think I'll go out and buy a pack of Chinese Marlboros.

Cael

asset test

Just heard the Customs guy saying that the sentences for cig smuggling is nothing like that for controlled drugs.

That kinda surprised me, so off ye go then. No sanctions, so why wouldn't they do it?

Seems to me they need to profile the regular travellers between Ireland and Eastern Europe. Maybe they do, but all they seem to lose is the stash.

teapot

Were gone - ************************************ - and RTE are running around chasing down a few auld conmen and we're letting them do it; we deserve it all!
WELL,WHAT ABOUT BANKERS? Hasn't a file been forwarded to the director of public prosecutions ????? What do you want? Blood? It was only 'Inappropriate Behaviour' Mister Lenihan said so in 2008... that f()cking apology for those ba$tards ought to haunt him!

Fenian Óg

Wouldn't touch them, somebody gave me a JP Blue before and I could tell straight off it was dodge.

Anyone know anyone in Castlebar who sells them? I only want to know so I can grass them up. Honestly!

EvotingMachine0197

I have no sympathy for the ciggy crowd, they are profiteering bastards.

As regards the missed duty and VAT taxes, the money stays in the pockets of the black market buyers and enters the economy in some other form anyway.

The sales go back to the country of origin, but what's new about that - see BMW/Samsung/Nintendo/Microsoft etc ..

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
This Prime Time Investigates thing is awfully sensationalist and tabloidy. The numbers aren't properly backed up (half a billion euros lost to the exchequer) and emotively represented (that's thuurteen hundred actuute hospital beds)...

baldbear

I can't see anything wrong with the legit Eastern European ciggs. The government will only be using the tax to pay bondholders anyway, so power to the smugglers!

Cael

The day RTÉ does an exposé on the like of MacDonalds, Nike and other mass exploiters of human beings, then I'll take them seriously - but not until then.

EvotingMachine0197

I heard a ciggy manufacturer/distributer representative complaining about this on the radio about 6 months ago.
I was going to throw my shoe at the radio except I was in the car and driving.

We've got much bigger fish to fry I think..

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
She's grand, yer wan from Hungary. But this knobend from Prime Time seems to connect her to the triads and chucking women out of boats in Malaysia when the heat comes down. What a load of balls.

newell666

Will we ever discover links between these smugglers and the criminals at Anglo Irish? No. RTE doesn't dig that deep.
You can bet your bottom dollar that some of the profits found their way to Anglo.

Tin Foil Hat

This Prime Time Investigates thing is awfully sensationalist and tabloidy. The numbers aren't properly backed up (half a billion euros lost to the exchequer) and emotively represented (that's thuurteen hundred actuute hospital beds)...
This always gets on my goat as well. The Irish government, cheered on by RTE and groups like ASH, are under the impression that they can put farcical levels of taxes on ciggies and then claim a multiple of that figure as lost revenue when people refuse to pay up. It's childish nonsense.
The taxes on ciggies needs to drop by €3, minimum.

Legacy

Aww crap! I read the thread title and thought RTE were advertising cheap cigs..:-(

New Threads

Most Replies