• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Checking out Belfast

Glaucon

I don't know whether this is the right place to do this, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't, but I'll give it a shot anyway, there might be interesting results.

The girlfriend (Portuguese) and a few female friends (France and Portugal) are planning to visit Belfast this week and want to know what to do. They're planning to arrive at Belfast Central and pretty much go on foot from there. I'll hold my hand up, I've been to Belfast a few times, but only for a short time and have no idea what do advise. St. Anne's Cathedral was good from what I remember, and Queen's is situated in a nice area, but that's about it.

I know the murals/black taxi gigs but they're not much interested in that; traditional Irish stuff is of interest, but I've no idea how much, or little, of that Belfast offers.

What would native Belfastians advise? Titanic quarter? Cathedral? Anything else? I'm open to all comers.

between the bridges

not a native belfastian, but my tuppence worth... cathedral quarter is the 'in' place it's alright but imho a tad manufactured, there would be traditional sessions in plenty of pubs around the city but again quite manufactured for tourists, a few yuppie bars around city hall like the Apartment, ten square etc, Dublin road and shaftbury square area a bit of a rougher mix but can provide a good night out, best thing they can do is go out a go with the flow

Glaucon

Ulster museum and Botanic Gardens, nice one, cheers.

If there's any uniquely British stuff (already mentioned traditional Irish) that should be seen, now's the time, I'm playing the Alliance party on this one. :)

between the bridges

DavidCaldwell

Climbing up to the dome of Victoria Square (and maybe looking at a few shops on the way out).

The Titanic Museum.

Cave Hill - nice walk up the hill and you can scramble up into the cave (if you don't mind the risk of a slip and the beer cans when you get there); good view at the top

And I would second the suggestion of the Folk and Transport Musuem

C

Castle Ray

Ulster Museum and Botanic Gardens are free and right beside Queens. Decent eateries in the area too. Titanic Building is more expensive but worth a look if never done before. Possibly a tour in that area around design room, Thompson Dock and Pumphouse is worthwhile. At night Cathedral Quarter is good and the Duke of York is a good pub with traditional music. Whites Tavern isn't bad either depending on the night. If they're stuck for directions just ask a local, people are generally ambassadorial and visitors very welcome.

eskrimador

Mourne Seafood, n Bank Street (up the side of the big Primark) for a nice meal and then next door to Kelly's Cellars to get a real vibe of Belfast.

As for the evening, depends how old you are

eskrimador

Ohh...take a walk around Bedford Street. The poor standard of whores in Belfast has to be seen to be believed :p

Billy the Prod

Ohh...take a walk around Bedford Street. The poor standard of whores in Belfast has to be seen to be believed :p
OK, so you're not satisfied with standard of prostitutes in Belfast.

Have you ever thought about not using them any more?

eskrimador

OK, so you're not satisfied with standard of prostitutes in Belfast.

Have you ever thought about not using them any more?
I'm not cleaning the house my friggin' self

MariaMcN

Depends whether they have a car or not. If they have to stay put in the centre, the Titanic museum is the best place for tourists. They'd definitely need to book tickets in advance though.

Billy the Prod

I think everyone has already covered most of the Belfast must sees. Weather permitting, make an effort to get up the Cave Hill. The view provides beautiful Belfast.

Also, if they are touring other parts of N.I., the Giants Causeway is a must see, and get down to Newcastle for the Mourne mountains, Tollymore Forest, and of course the Irish sea rolling in. It's the most beautiful region in N.I. (although the Sperrins are also beautiful), and Castlewellan Forest Park and Warrenpoint should also be on any nature lovers itinerary.

MariaMcN

I think everyone has already covered most of the Belfast must sees. Weather permitting, make an effort to get up the Cave Hill. The view provides beautiful Belfast.

Also, if they are touring other parts of N.I., the Giants Causeway is a must see, and get down to Newcastle for the Mourne mountains, Tollymore Forest, and of course the Irish sea rolling in. It's the most beautiful region in N.I. (although the Sperrins are also beautiful), and Castlewellan Forest Park and Warrenpoint should also be on any nature lovers itinerary.
I've never been up Cave Hill. It is set up for tourists/visitors who don't know the area?

Billy the Prod

I've never been up Cave Hill. It is set up for tourists/visitors who don't know the area?
I grew up in the East of the city and went over there twice and couldn't find my way up it. Third time I asked the gate-man at Belfast Castle and he pointed me in the right direction. When you enter the Castle car park make your way to the gate just beyond (rear of) the castle and you'll find paths which take you up the Cave Hill to McArt's Fort, which is at the summit.

It's a bit of a strenuous ascent, but the views are worth it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavehill

Also, check out Divis Mountain and Black Mountain. These summits were no-go zones during the troubles but are now accessible to the public. Divis is the highest of the Belfast Mountains. Great panoramic view all over Northern Ireland. You can even see the Mourne Mountains from up there.

United Irishmen Theobald Wolfe Tone and Henry Joy McCracken allegedly met at Cavehill in 1795 to take an oath to launch the rebellion of 1798. McCracken was captured on Cavehill in 1798.

Last edited:

eskrimador

The Castle and Castle Park are just amazing

(see? I can do camp):lol:

harry_w

Yes, if they're on foot, stay central. Get bearings in city centre from Kelly's Cellars, check what music they've got on (usually rubbish, lol). Ask around, it's easy enough to get a black cab north or west, or minicab elsewhere, from that side of the city centre.

Kellys Cellars Belfast - Pub & Bars Information , 30-32 Bank Street
Kelly's Cellars Reviews - Belfast, Northern Ireland Attractions - TripAdvisor

Music | The Hatfield House, Belfast

Check this list, phone to check events:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sean_quinn/sessions.htm

I believe the best places have gone (Pat's/Rotterdam):
BBC News - Belfast's Rotterdam and Pat's Bar demolition plans
Rotterdam Bar (Save The Rotterdam Campaign) on Myspace
Pats Bar in Belfast
Cycled past here last night and Pats seems to have closed permanently. Message on the drinks board outside in chalk stating 'Pats has closed forever', and on sign above door where its says 'Established 1863' someone has added in chalk 'Died 3rd August 2010' (yes, the very day I cycled past).
Submitted by Gary on 04/08/2010
Try not to bore their arses off in museums and 'tourist attractions'. :)

Last edited:

eskrimador

Yes, if they're on foot, stay central. Get bearings in city centre from Kelly's Cellars, check what music they've got on (usually rubbish, lol). Ask around, it's easy enough to get a black cab west, or minicab elsewhere, from that side of the city centre.

Kellys Cellars Belfast - Pub & Bars Information , 30-32 Bank Street
Kelly's Cellars Reviews - Belfast, Northern Ireland Attractions - TripAdvisor

Check this list, phone to check events:
Traditonal Music Sessions in Northern Ireland

I believe the best places have gone (Pat's/Rotterdam):
BBC News - Belfast's Rotterdam and Pat's Bar demolition plans
Rotterdam Bar (Save The Rotterdam Campaign) on Myspace
Pats Bar in Belfast
The Duke of York and John Hewitt do a good sesh, both beside eachother.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies