Ched Evans case in UK ?

Betson

Anyone been following the Ched Evans case in the UK?

Basically he is an (Ex ?) Welsh International Soccer player who played for Sheffield Utd in England.

In 2012 he was convicted of rape and sentenced to 5 years imprisonment , this week he was released after severing half that time.

The big debate going on in the UK at the moment is should he be allowed resume his football career with Sheffield Utd , they seemed all set to offer him a new contract and members of the club visited him in prison to discus his coming back to play for their club.

The Club seem to be caving to some media public and pressure at the moment and are worried about PR thus are denying he has been offered a new contract but do say they are still considering it.

There is a public petition with over 150,000 names calling for the club not to give him a contract as it would send the wrong message out.

But Sheffield Utd fans seem in the majority to want him back at the club.

The player still protests his innocence and is planning a case to get the conviction overturned.

The case was not a straight forward one as the victim does not remember anything of the rape as she admits she was very drunk and passed out afterwards with no memory of events, it is claimed that without her permission while she was intoxicated Evans had sex with her , he claims it was consensual.

But the question is as he has done his time should he now be allowed to go back if to his old job if offered so without a campaign to prevent him form doing this?

Ren84

Sheffield United must REALLY be desperate for players.

devoutcapitalist

I actually think the conviction for rape is dodgy to say the least and may very well be overturned on appeal.

stopdoingstuff

I actually think the conviction for rape is dodgy to say the least and may very well be overturned on appeal.
It is a bit iffy. If being too drunk to remember giving consent is rape, then I've been raped loads of times.

Betson

Are ex-cons in general not supposed to find work?
That is normally the desired outcome.

But there is a sustained campaign to stop him going back to work , well at least not into his old area of employment.

But I don't know what else he would be qualified to do so basically they are campaigning to ensure he does not become integrated back into society fully.

There have been many cases of professional sports people before going back to their previous jobs after criminal convictions and prison time.

Truth.ie

He served his time.
It wasnt rape-rape.
He is not a threat to society.

ManOfReason

Get real people, no man should have sex with any woman without getting her first pass a breathalyzer test and then sign an affiliated that she is willing to let you penetrate her with you horrible rape-y penis. #NewDatingReality

Weevil

He's in the wrong profession to expect sympathy.

After all, he's paid a fortune for kicking an inflated pig's bladder around a field.

How dare he expect to go back to work!

DuineEile

There are several different issues.

Should a convicted person who has served their time be allowed to work? Of course.

Should they be allowed resume their old job? Less certain in my view, but if it does not involve working with the victim, or other vulnerable persons, then sure.

Is this the same if their job was privileged in done way? Legally, it should be. I do however personally like the Brehon system where your punishment not only fit the crime, but your status. The higher status you had, the more you got punished due to your breach of that status.

Overall, my view is to abide by acquittals, abide by convictions, and to let persons who have served their time get on with their lives.

D

NewGoldDream

Website
-
He served his time.
It wasnt rape-rape.
He is not a threat to society.
You mean like he didn't punch her and knock her out first or something? Just curious as to what is "rape-rape". It sounds like a bad play on that "out out" joke.

There should be no bar to him returning to work. But he cannot demand or expect that he be treated with respect by opposition players and fans.

Trainwreck

I actually think he's innocent, It was a shocking verdict and I hope he takes the British State to the cleaners financially when he wins his appeal.
He may or may not have been innocent, but I agree that given the only witness said she can't remember, the verdict would appear unsafe.

And there is the travesty. Under modern feminist driven ideology, that must by definition be rape.

As it stands under the law at the moment the following situation holds:

Two people wake up having had sex, neither of which can recall because they were both drunk. One is a victim and one is a criminal. Which one you are is determined solely by your sex.

And women have temerity to clam they are victims of sexism.

Now, what if they were both men or both women???

NewGoldDream

Website
-
Two people wake up having had sex, neither of which can recall because they were both drunk. One is a victim and one is a criminal. Which one you are is determined solely by your sex.

And women have temerity to clam they are victims of sexism.
Three, she was taken back to a hotel by two footballers while she was in a very drunk state.

Not sure why you insist it's some feminist issue or that only women can be the victims. Rape is rape. And whether the victim was a teenage boy or girl, I find the thought of two men possibly taking advantage of that situation where s/he was very drunk a bit disturbing. That doesn't of itself make him guilty of rape of course.

Trainwreck

Three, she was taken back to a hotel by two footballers while she was in a very drunk state.

Not sure why you insist it's some feminist issue or that only women can be the victims. Rape is rape. And whether the victim was a teenage boy or girl, I find the thought of two men possibly taking advantage of that situation where s/he was very drunk a bit disturbing. That doesn't of itself make him guilty of rape of course.
I don't insist that. That is now the law. "Rape is rape" now means nothing. Feminazis have debased the seriousness of the crime as we now see on this case

This woman claimed to have been raped and was ruled to have been raped on the sole basis that she declared herself unable to remember what happened because she was drunk.

And if it had been Chad Evans that had returned to the hotel with two women??? You claim that is evidence that he was the victim. See, your entire argument is based solely on the sex of the protagonists.

What would have been the court's ruling had Ched Evans claimed he was too drunk to remember. He would still have been guilty of rape.

Same facts, only the gender changes, but one is a rapist and one is a victim.

You don't deny it though. The law as it now stands:

A man awakens after sex, having been too drunk to remember what happened. He is a rapist.

A woman awakens after sex, having been too drunk to remember what happened. She has been raped.

TheWexfordInn

Get real people, no man should have sex with any woman without getting her first pass a breathalyzer test and then sign an affiliated that she is willing to let you penetrate her with you horrible rape-y penis. #NewDatingReality
A twelve man jury came to the conclusion that she had not given consent. If I was trying to guess what discussions went on in the jury room I would guess it was significant that he started chatting to this very drunk girl for the first time in the street at 4am and then was sleeping with her an hour later and it is pretty unimaginable that any sober girl would do that.

A different conclusion would I think have been reached if they had been chatting together all night in a club after which her agreeing to go back to his place in preference to her going home might arguably amount in his mind to his have been given the green light.

NewGoldDream

Website
-
See, your entire argument is based solely on the sex of the protagonists...
And that the people who heard all the facts decided he was guilty, and that he wasn't even given leave to an appeal. Maybe they felt there was something in the reported claims that her drink may have been spiked, that friends of the two men who met her in her condition were videoing it etc. etc.

Its you whose entire position is based on gender, because you are applying generic issues about "feminazis" and your evident dislike to the specifics of this case. Your dislike of feminism is no defence to a charge of rape.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies