• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Child taken into care on grounds of grandparents' age.

davidcameron

Young child taken from grandparents and put into foster care because of their age

A YOUNG CHILD has been removed from the care of its grandparents and placed with foster carers despite protestations from the couple, the child’s school and doctors.

The child had been living with its grandmother and grandfather for more than four years but they have been told they will never be approved as foster carers.

In a letter – seen by TheJournal.ie - the Child and Family Agency (Tusla) told the couple they are too old to be the foster carers of their grandchild.

They are both in their mid-60s. The child is in primary school.
The grandfather said he has raised the issue with a local TD who brought it to the attention of former minister James Reilly. He said he believed Taoiseach Enda Kenny has also been informed about the case but that it is now a matter of “Tusla investigating Tusla”.

“Tusla said they are investigating but they are just investigating themselves. Where is the justice in that? They have too much power.”
What is Tusla playing at?

Here is an horrific hypothesis that is quite plausible due to recent revelations concerning allegations of abuse in foster families: What if the foster parents abuse the child in this case? Could social workers then be trusted to inform the police?

I find it hard to believe that neither of the parents have siblings who could care for the child instead.

derryman

Young child taken from grandparents and put into foster care because of their age

What is Tusla playing at?

Here is an horrific hypothesis that is quite plausible due to recent revelations concerning allegations of abuse in foster families: What if the foster parents abuse the child in this case? Could social workers then be trusted to inform the police?

I find it hard to believe that neither of the parents have siblings who could care for the child instead.
We have a woman of 72 giving birth and mid sixties is too old to care for your own grandchild.

GDPR

Read this earlier, 4 years they've looked after the child but no too old, move the child to another county. Fooking idiots.

Sotired

Welcome to the modern upside-down world.

Some busy-bodies, in this case state-sponsored busy-bodies, don't think that people in their mid-sixties, family members, the children's grandparents, are fit to look after their own grandchildren, just because of their age.

And want to farm the children out to strangers.

And they have the backing of the state.

Better watch out all you parents who drop your kids off each day to be looked after by their loving grandparents.

Big busy-body brother and sister have their eyes on you.

I truly despair on a daily basis as to how fu€ked up the world has become.

runwiththewind

This is the dumbest thing ever. Keeping children with close relatives was always a policy for the HSE. If the child was thriving for fours years how on earth will he/she thrive with strangers.

I find it hard to believe that a district court judge would grant a care order if the grandparents are fit and healthy and the child is happy and healthy.

dizillusioned

Read this earlier also. Was going to post it, but alas no tv and Internet, thank you virgin....

this is is definitely a case of interference. Who better to look after this child than grandparents? They obviously love this child, have been looking out for his best interests and he is doing well in school, his bed wetting had stopped and they had given him a stable loving environment.

Tusla need to sort this out quickly and return this child. I know many many grandparents raising their children's children, if a grandparent is too old is a foster family better? In my opinion no!

these grandparents are 60s, mother may have type 2 diabetes but so do many people. They obviously love this child immensely and have gone through every avenue to remain as this child's guardians. Tusla have over stepped the mark on this one, in my opinion.

ger12

Is there a solid bulk of research to back up the problems with the age gap?

Seems harsh alright tbh.

im axeled

if the grand parents are too old to look after a kid, the what does it say about noonan holding the finannce portfolio, i recon there are a few more which could be included as too old to sit at the cabinet table

damus

Well for starters the foster care committee are not independent.

dizillusioned

What about PJ Mara having a kid at 72, should that kid have been placed into foster care immediately upon birth?

mickterry

A half decent solicitor would have that sorted in no time. Courts always take account of best interests of the child

damus

Is there a solid bulk of research to back up the problems with the age gap?

Seems harsh alright tbh.
I doubt it - and there's nothing in the guidelines or legislation that there must be no more than 40 years between the foster parent and the child.

damus

It also seems very unprofessional to be holding team meetings in parks and community centres.

Sotired

The local TDs should be hounded by the family, friends, and neighbours until life becomes unbearable for them.

They were, after all, elected by these people, to look after the interests of people in their constituency.

Because that is how politics in Ireland works apparently.

These TDs don't seem to have done their job to date, in this regard.

Polybius

This is why I voted no to the children's referendum. That glorified social worker Frances Fitzgerald is using her new powers to snoop on families and use any excuse to take children into state care.

davidcameron

What about PJ Mara having a kid at 72, should that kid have been placed into foster care immediately upon birth?
In fairness, the mother of his child was of an age appropriate for someone bringing up a child. After all, a woman can't become pregnant in her fifties onwards without the involvement of an unethical scientist.

Felixness

It's an absolutely insane decision which hopefully will be overturned soon. There are many people working full time who rely on their parents to care for their kids while they go out to work. A lot of people in their 60's are still working and are more than capable of taking care of kids. Christ on a bike, there are kids being abused in care as we type and TUSLA have taken a child from the loving, safe home of grandparents and placed the child with strangers.

davidcameron

This is why I voted no to the children's referendum. That glorified social worker Frances Fitzgerald is using her new powers to snoop on families and use any excuse to take children into state care.
So did I - because I didn't believe what Catherine McGuinness said about the Constitution in the report she wrote about the Kilkenny incest case.

artfoley56

Where's the guardian ad litem in this case?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies