• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Childcare

Cellach

No thread on Varadkar's comments I see. You could make some conclusions about the demographics of p.ie right there I reckon.

Anyway, Varadkar has put his foot in it.

Varadkar: Some women will have to choose between career or mortgage | Irish Examiner

While at a cold economic level I will admit this calculation does make sense, he is bloody stupid to phrase it in relation exclusively to women. It's probable that the brain was not fully engaged before speaking.

Meanwhile Stephen Kinsella has been making the point that childcare costs in this state are excessive, and that providing affordable childcare would act as an economic driver.

Stephen Kinsella: Benefits to supporting childcare are clear

So why is childcare in Ireland so expensive, and what can be done about it? Or should anything be done about it?

Is it over-regulation, scarcity of supply, overheads or old fashioned gouging?

Easy fix for this I think. Get schools to open from 7am until 6 pm using qualified care staff. As the premises are already insured, lit and heated they could charge parents half the amount currently being paid for childcare in private creches and as a bonus raise extra funds for the school

Cellach

Easy fix for this I think. Get schools to open from 7am until 6 pm using qualified care staff. As the premises are already insured, lit and heated they could charge parents half the amount currently being paid for childcare in private creches and as a bonus raise extra funds for the school
I'm not sure that is practicable, or that teachers would welcome childcare facilities on the premises. Also there is an issue with classroom availability and such forth. We're not exactly in a position to be launching into a massive capital spending programme to convert rooms in schools for that purpose. It's not like they can simply drag in and and drag out a load of playpens every morning and evening.

44percent

A classic P.ie poster solution. One question, where do the crèche children go while classrooms are being used during the school day?

The guy is some moron for one man.

Fall Girl

Sounds good at first.....but where do you mind the children and with what facilities?

Childcare needs to be for children from 3 months up. That means changing, sleeping and cooking facilities.

Will it be for all children or just children intending to enrol in that school?

My solution would be for school going children at first with facilities for younger children added later and most modern school facilities have creches built in. E.g educate together in Lucan

Last edited:
I'm not sure that is practicable, or that teachers would welcome childcare facilities on the premises. Also there is an issue with classroom availability and such forth. We're not exactly in a position to be launching into a massive capital spending programme to convert rooms in schools for that purpose. It's not like they can simply drag in and and drag out a load of playpens every morning and evening.
Yup.
Here the system is that when school has finished the kids go to the garderie for after-school care. This is a separate part of the school premises, differently equipped and with a different staff.

Cellach

My solution is for school going children and most modern school facilities have creches built in. E.g educate together in Lucan
This may surprise you, but the educate together in Lucan is not typical of the school facilities in Ireland. Also, the most expensive and necessary time of childcare is before children are ready to go to school.

Fall Girl

So , lets say, for a school going child aged 5 in junior infants in a normal school. Where do they get 'minded'?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Varadkar is correct - if it is more cost effective for a spouse to work at home - they need to seriously consider it

Especially if they are in debt seeking a writedown with (our) money

Also Kinsella is correct that efficiencies should be sought in the childcare sector, extending school opening hours (as in Asia) seems like a start

cYp

Cellach

Yup.
Here the system is that when school has finished the kids go to the garderie for after-school care. This is a separate part of the school premises, differently equipped and with a different staff.
Am I correct in remembering that a mother who has given birth in France receives two hours of assistance a day for the first few months after giving birth?

Cellach

Varadkar is correct - if it is more cost effective for a spouse to work at home - they need to seriously consider it

Especially if they are in debt seeking a writedown with (our) money

Also Kinsella is correct that efficiencies should be sought in the childcare sector, extending school opening hours (as in Asia) seems like a start

cYp
But why is it so expensive? These all seem like solutions to the symptoms rather than the root cause of the issue.

This may surprise you, but the educate together in Lucan is not typical of the school facilities in Ireland. Also, the most expensive and necessary time of childcare is before children are ready to go to school.
True but you need to start somewhere

The Irish attitude to childcare is appalling.

Here Varadkar has merely confirmed that th dreadful state of childcare is as a result of policy rather than simple neglect.

D

Dylan2010

But why is it so expensive? These all seem like solutions to the symptoms rather than the root cause of the issue.
rates, vat , employer taxes. Essentially someone on a nett pay has to hand over gross & contributions and then pay overheads twice , then Im sure most of the bigger places have juicy Tiger rents to pay. The only affordable way is to get someone privately

crossman

rates, vat , employer taxes. Essentially someone on a nett pay has to hand over gross & contributions and then pay overheads twice , then Im sure most of the bigger places have juicy Tiger rents to pay. The only affordable way is to get someone privately
And especially the wages of the minders! People earning good salaries themselves sometimes expect those minding their children to earn the minimum wage.

D

Dylan2010

And especially the wages of the minders! People earning good salaries themselves sometimes expect those minding their children to earn the minimum wage.
yeah funny that, yet the same poeple would only be happy with a consultant doctor and the senior stylist.