Children searching in bins for food

eoghanacht

Or the one a Senator her name escapes me calling to a house to find the family (father,wife 3 kids) living in darkness, with no food or heating just so they could pay the mortgage.

WTF like?

eoghanacht

In some cases the SVP have cut out supplying heating oil as they can keep up with demand. They are just supplying solid fuel.

But hey better to service the bank debt than take care of the citizens, gotta love this country.

Social Conscience

This is only the start of these kind of stories, it is sickening and it should be posted in the letterbox of every politican in the country.

typical

Ah hang on now a sec., FF and the Greens have a lot to answer for but, even with the brutal cuts, you get enough on social welfare to put food on the table. It's disgusting to think kids are rooting through bins but it's 100% the fault of the children's parents. Food just isn't that expensive.

And I include parents who'll pay the mortgage before they'll buy the dinner, WTF are they thinking?

Berty

this is just the start of it

slx

In Spain at the moment and thats a very common site here too. People seem to be resorting to rooting through bins.

Vote_No_on_Everything

Back in 2006 at the hight of the boom I was working in Dublin where I saw children on their way to school mostly girls, one boy among them rooting in a skip in a building site, gathering half eaten sandwich roles (desposed of by construction workers the previous day I persume). They looked undernourished and embarrassed as people on their way to work were looking at them. They were eating it as they were gathering it. The weird thing was they looked clean and had clean school uniforms.

Last edited:

Holy Cow

Ah hang on now a sec., FF and the Greens have a lot to answer for but, even with the brutal cuts, you get enough on social welfare to put food on the table. It's disgusting to think kids are rooting through bins but it's 100% the fault of the children's parents. Food just isn't that expensive.

And I include parents who'll pay the mortgage before they'll buy the dinner, WTF are they thinking?
This could be another HSE failure. The parents might be decent and might have been using their welfare cash to pay ESB/mortgage. We dont know.

Either way, this story is shocking and further evidence (not that we need anymore) that FF and Greens have ruined this country, all so they could save some corrupt bankers.

Northtipp

Shame Shame Shame. What a country we have turned in to. Jesus H C

neutral_lurker

Well they could be in debt to loansharks and are afraid not to pay.

They are paying the mortgage cos they want to keep a roof over their head -subprime lenders particularly seem to be quick enough to get families evicted.I'm sure they are buying food its just not lasting the week or something.

Most people with mortgages tend to have loans also - to decorate the house to upgrade heating etc there is a degree of maintainence - house insurance and compulsory mortgage insurance(in case of death) have to be paid also- it all adds up.

Aristodemus

I don't believe those stories.

darkhorse

Sounds very unlikely or exaggerated
I dont think a little 5 year old child could reach into a wheely bin
Nor would a child be likely to expect to find edibile food in a bin on the Main Street or anywhere
It would be far easier for a young child to beg for money, scream at mammy, etc
Probably part of the SVP Christmas fundraising campaign...

typical

A kilo of cheap rice is what? A euro, two tops. A sliced pan and a pot of jam? Not good food, fair enough, but it'll keep you out of a bin. I don't believe that there are parents who'll pay the mortgage before feeding the kids, and if they are, they aren't a fit parent.

eoghanacht

I'm inclined to agree with you hence the WTF like. I would beg borrow or steal to feed my kid.

It was more as an example of how phucked up people in this country are.

slx

Well the other big problem is that where someone has been made unemployed, the welfare claims are just taking way way too long to process.

I don't know if this is just because of public service incompetence i.e. not assigning enough staff to process claims, or if it is some kind of a deliberate policy to force people out of the country or something, but it's causing serious hardship.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies