• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Children's Rights referendum passes with 58% supporting it, what are the next steps?

Sync

The referendum's been called for Yes at 58% with 33.5% turning out, the lowest since 1996's bail vote. Only 3 areas voted no;Donegal North East, Donegal South West and Dublin West.

Kenny stated:
“This Government has a deep commitment to families and children. The passing of this amendment will help make childhood a good, secure and loving space for all our children,” he said. “It will also give hope, reassurance and confidence to parents, foster parents and vulnerable children.”
Earlier, the editor of Alive magazine, Fr Brian McKevitt, who campaigned for a No vote, said he accepted the democratic decision of the people.
The question now is what legislative steps will follow this? The Yes side have been talking about reforming welfare and adoption law, but how much impact do people expect to see? Or is this simply a small (necessary) alteration that will be realised in a very limited number of family law cases?

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I'm surprised it was so close, I thought the margin would be bigger than that.

That can probably be explained by the strong possibility that anyone who wanted a no vote went out, whereas people who wanted a yes vote were laxed and weren't too bothered to get out there and vote.

Hewson

I see Kenny's been at the sherry again. What exactly has this seismic change been that's going to suddenly make childhood 'a good, secure and loving place'?

There's a hell of a lot more work to be done on the ground than the insertion of a paragraph of wishful thinking into the Constitution.

sondagefaux

Apart from facilitating a transition from long-term fostering to adoption, I don't know what impact this amendment may have.

The most likely short-term impact is that children in long-term foster care will find it easier to be adopted by their foster parents.

In addition, the courts will now be bound to pay a lot more attention to the wishes of children in proceedings concerning them.

The longer-term impact of this amendment can't be assessed yet, at least not until a body of case law has built up.

I'm not expecting anything dramatic from the Supreme Court or the Oireachtas apart from a few tweaks to adoption law.

It's a fairly low-key change, despite the hysterics here and elsewhere.

In fact, it's so low-key, I'd question its value. I'm not against it, I'm just not strongly for it.

It's like adding having one more pint after drinking 10 pints - a marginal difference.

sic transit

It was largely uncontroversial in terms of effect and mostly strong on the principle it aims to uphold. It will quite probably bring some adjustments in legislation but they too are also unlikely to be opposed politically. As they say nothing to see here, move along now.

tigerben

They're going to make a mockery of this result , when once again for the 5th (?) year running cut the children's allowance.

Mountaintop

I think the next steps are for Mark McCrystal et al to going looking for an injunction...

sic transit

Indeed they may do but the chances of them getting it overturned are very very low. I suspect a bit of mature reflection will lead them to conclude the same thing.

SPN

The question now is what legislative steps will follow this?
What follows this will occur in the privacy of the family courts where the media and public opinion don't get a look in.

We have now set up "the State as guardian of the common good" in law, which is a terrifying prospect.

sic transit

What follows this will occur in the privacy of the family courts where the media and public opinion don't get a look in.
Given the dubious quality of both that can only be classed as a blessing.

Mercurial

The question now is what legislative steps will follow this? The Yes side have been talking about reforming welfare and adoption law, but how much impact do people expect to see? Or is this simply a small (necessary) alteration that will be realised in a very limited number of family law cases?
Time to round up the babies of conservative parents then.

Dorcha

The reason for the children's referendum was in order to permit the politicians to pretend to be all holy and caring about children while at the same time cutting their allowances. It gives them another year's grace. Then they'll have to think of something else to promote their images, and people will allow themselves to be fooled once again.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
I think the next steps are for Mark McCrystal et al to going looking for an injunction...
While McCrystal et all are certainly collectively mad as so many boxes of frogs, I feel confident none of them are quite so bad as to simply give away thousands and thousands of euro of their own money to take a case that's bound to be expensively laughed out of court.

Mountaintop

While McCrystal et all are certainly collectively mad as so many boxes of frogs, I feel confident none of them are quite so bad as to simply give away thousands and thousands of euro of their own money to take a case that's bound to be expensively laughed out of court.
I would have thought that too...until 'they' crossed a line and tried to assasinate Dana...this time...it's personal..

CookieMonster

What are our next steps?

To fund our childcare services adequately and immediately. And to do so no matter what the state of the economy is.
That's not going to happen.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies