• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

China and Japan heading to war.

Smithy12

This is getting very little press here on our side of the water. But i see major confrontation here if they don't sort out there foreign relations fairly quickly. I believe China likely would have confronted Japan for it not for the United States been a protector of Japanese interests in the region. China is playing a deadly game of chicken with Japan.

Latest news from today Three China ships in territorial waters: Japan - Latest news around the world and developments close to home - MSN Malaysia News

Article from the other day China and Japan could clash in 2013 | MINING.com

storybud1

Taking on the Japanese with American bases ? not unless the fiscal cliff can be averted, wait a MINUTE ?

Ribeye

History indicates that 2013 will be a year of conflict,

I hope history is wrong,

But it rarely is:(

jo9jo

History indicates that 2013 will be a year of conflict,

I hope history is wrong,

But it rarely is:(
Not drinking Jameson ;) so cannot understand your post - could you elaborate on how history indicates that 2013 .....

Ribeye

Not drinking Jameson ;) so cannot understand your post - could you elaborate on how history indicates that 2013 .....
When economies tank, and living standards decline, govts, in an effort to distract the sheep and retain the status quo, resort to war,

Always happens, just watch!

ottovonbismarck

Let's hope north Korea stick there nose in it so the south can invade.

Regards...volunteer

Smithy12

Taking on the Japanese with American bases ? not unless the fiscal cliff can be averted, wait a MINUTE ?
The Chinese think differently, different culture, they could overreact to Japanese moves?

I know its 2013 ( happy new year everyone) but the Chinese took on the West ( UN forces)) during the Korean war. Fairly brave considering the United States then was a nuclear power and could have easily destroyed a then peasant China.

Its hard to know really but this dispute is one to watch. This video is very insightful.

[video=youtube;n1UersCSGLU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1UersCSGLU[/video]

owedtojoy

This is getting very little press here on our side of the water. But i see major confrontation here if they don't sort out there foreign relations fairly quickly. I believe China likely would have confronted Japan for it not for the United States been a protector of Japanese interests in the region. China is playing a deadly game of chicken with Japan.

Latest news from today Three China ships in territorial waters: Japan - Latest news around the world and developments close to home - MSN Malaysia News

Article from the other day China and Japan could clash in 2013 | MINING.com
The strange thing is that China, Japan and South Korea are improving economic links and talking about a free trade area.

Will jaw-jaw (or the clink-clink of money) be better than war-war? Theory says it should be, but with an authoritarian power like China with a fresh and maybe uncertain leadership, you cannot be sure.

In theory, also, the disputes over insignificant islands are soluble e.g. demilitarization with maybe shared exploitation of oil in the vicinity (which is what the disputes are really about). But with the Falklands in mind, a false move by one state might just start something.

pippakin

The Americans are up to their eyes in debt; to the Chinese the Japanese are, still, in recession and China, largely due to her total indifference to her population, is expanding apace. Its active in Africa. financially its sound. Maybe its starting to flex its muscles and if it does what can anyone do about it, which is probably why its getting so little press.

Dame_Enda

The Chinese only have one aircraft carrier so not a good idea.

storybud1

Only a suicidal maniac would take on Uncle Sam, the Chinese are just playing the game and expanding by proxy. The resource war (especially rare earth materials) is going to get ugly.

pippakin

The Chinese only have one aircraft carrier so not a good idea.
So what they can't build? They appear to be indifferent to their population which is huge, and in a world where democracies care about the death count that is an unbelievable advantage.

Smithy12

The strange thing is that China, Japan and South Korea are improving economic links and talking about a free trade area.

Will jaw-jaw (or the clink-clink of money) be better than war-war? Theory says it should be, but with an authoritarian power like China with a fresh and maybe uncertain leadership, you cannot be sure.

In theory, also, the disputes over insignificant islands are soluble e.g. demilitarization with maybe shared exploitation of oil in the vicinity (which is what the disputes are really about). But with the Falklands in mind, a false move by one state might just start something.
A hawkish, right wing, Japanese official becoming the newly elected prime minister of Japan last week, is hardly going to help the situation. I seriously doubt Japan will share the island with China or give up on their claim. China will not give up their right.

There at a standoff, neither side has a diplomatic solution to it. So i think risk of war is fairly high.

The United States if it was a prolonged fight would support Japan. Would other countries in Europe and Asia countries get involved? Would China protect itself by using nuclear weapons ( its scary stuff)

cabledude

A hawkish, right wing, Japanese official becoming the newly elected prime minister of Japan last week, is hardly going to help the situation. I seriously doubt Japan will share the island with China or give up on their claim. China will not give up their right.

There at a standoff, neither side has a diplomatic solution to it. So i think risk of war is fairly high.

The United States if it was a prolonged fight would support Japan. Would other countries in Europe and Asia countries get involved? Would China protect itself by using nuclear weapons ( its scary stuff)
Doubtful.

Kevin Doyle

Doubtful.
If the US threatened to intervene militarily of course they would consider it, after they called in US debt. The US knows this.

Crazy horse 6

The Chinese don't care about their own people never mind Japans or anyone else. To think they would'nt use nuclear weapons is foolhardy.

Lets not forget the yanks owe the Chinese a sh it load of cash and imo there is no way in hell they are going to pay them back. This war could be a godsend for them.

Dame_Enda

They have hundreds of nuclear weapons.
Yes but it is believed Japan has the material and know-how to build the bomb within one year, and they told President Johnson in the 1960's that if China had them they should too. They have since been non-committal on whether they rule it out for good, though they agreed to non-binding promises to the US not to producr them. However in more recent years they have made it conditional on the US maintaining the deterrent against aggression by Japan's neighbours. In any case China stands to lose big time economically from a war with Japan.