China offers to help Ireland in Covid Crisis.

Finbar10

According to the Irish Mirror article:
Coronavirus Ireland: Aer Lingus to fly Airbus A330 planes to China 60 times to collect medical supplies

Aer Lingus is to fly five of its largest aircrafts packed with health supplies from China in a daily coronavirus mercy mission for Ireland.
The airline plans to send over its Airbus A330 passenger planes to Beijing up to 60 times to collect medical equipment ordered by the HSE.
And the Aer Lingus' crew made up of pilots and engineers won't be able to get off the aircraft - as they'll be quarantined if they do.
"The seats will be absolutely packed with medical equipment such as ventilators, masks, goggles, testing kits and more.
It's understood Aer Lingus will make the first trip from Dublin Airport to Asia on Saturday, with the airline's chiefs hoping to begin five daily return journeys from Tuesday onwards.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Ryanair must be pissed off. They could have squeezed 18 families of four in the overhead lockers at 200 euro a knob.

Last edited:

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
This is our chance to strike a blow for the west. We could pack the empty 'planes on the way to Beijing with whatever's left of young Fianna Fail and release them onto the tarmac unseen from a secret compartment.

Within weeks Beijing would be overrun by auctioneers, publicans and home-cinema-solution companies. It would take them years to recover.

Finbar10

One related issue I haven't seen mentioned is providing accommodation for medical staff (particularly if there's a lack of PPE). When this gets into full swing, it'll be fairly unsafe for medical staff to be going home each day and possibly infecting their own families, particularly if some family members are in vulnerable groups. In many cases in other countries, medical staff have just not gone home for extended periods. Other countries have requisitioned hotels nearby hospitals for this purpose.

sheehan

This is our chance to strike a blow for the west. We could pack the empty 'planes on the way to Beijing with whatever's left of young Fianna Fail and release them onto the tarmac unseen from a secret compartment.

Within weeks Beijing would be overrun by auctioneers, publicans and home-cinema-solution companies. It would take them years to recover.
Objection, it shouldn't take off without Bertie on-board.

Finbar10

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

Well, we have prior warning now! The PPE like masks and goggles will be badly needed (ventilators too, though I'm not sure why we're flying in ventilators with one of the world's largest manufacturer in Galway).
Medtronic is a US company and there would be hell to pay if we impounded their ventilators. But I do think we should negotiate with them.

Finbar10

Medtronic is a US company and there would be hell to pay if we impounded their ventilators. But I do think we should negotiate with them.
It sounds like we have negotiated with them already. I suspect that's probably where most of what we've ordered (300 fairly soon and then 100 a week was what the HSE mentioned at one point) will come from. They are hiring lots of new staff (lots of overtime too) at the moment (probably not hard to find in the current circumstances given the layoffs) and aiming to double production. Must be orders flying in from all over the world (I hope we ensure we get a sufficient cut of their increased capacity).

Last edited:

Patslatt1

In one sense, one knows that this story will be spun a particular way in Chinese media (China is now generously helping out European nations in great need; look how great we are in internationally responding to this crisis etc. etc.). But are we really in a position to look a gift horse in the teeth like this? There have been articles on how the HSE has big quantities of PPEs "on order". I'm not sure what that means in practice though. I suspect many countries have PPEs on order. Will all this equipment actually get to us in time for the likely "surge"? A front-line doctor on Saturday with Colm Ó Eadhra on Radio 1 today didn't sound too sure whether they'd have enough; his response was something like we'll just have to see. PPEs will be crucial in keeping ICU medics from getting infected and out of action and probably taking up ICU beds themselves. The Chinese have said that in Wuhan lack of PPEs was one of the biggest problems. A lot of their ICU staff quickly ended up out of action. They then were able to bring more in from other regions (not something we'll be able to do). We, prudently, have signed up lots of former and retired medical staff to step in if needed. However, these older staff will also be particularly vulnerable to the virus if insufficient PPEs are available.
PPE, piss poor equipment?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I remember Medtronic. They carried out the largest elective tax inversion in the corporate world to date when they bought Covidien and effectively backed what was Medtronic at the time into a new corporate structure which was technically headquartered in Ireland. I see their sales in Ireland are 0.1% of their turnover, with the vast majority of sales coming from the sale of medical devices to the US health sector.

Weird set-up, and is a bit of a financial case history in itself. There are three companies I noticed in the last decade who have pulled major 'inversions' of their domicile and have managed to move revenue for tax purposes out of one regulatory jurisdiction into another, with Medtronic likely to be the biggest.

There is some dispute about whether Medtronic's revenues should even be included in revenue attributable to 'Irish' companies for sectoral data purposes. Davy's stockbrokers don't think their revenue should be included in Irish financial data.

At least Medtronic are more than a brass plaque operation, with actual premises and assembly/manufacturing taking place and therefore the provision of jobs (how subsidised we are unlikely to get a view of).

Royalty Pharma is a hybrid private equity vehicle based on securitisation of therapeutic royalties. They have their employees and bosses in New York, although the company is listed as being 'headquartered in Dublin'. The reason for this is because the Irish Government allows for special purpose vehicles which in turn allows Royalty Pharma's backers to shelter their investment in a tax exempt vehicle. So not only can they use the private equity profit share system for investment partners but they won't be paying any tax anywhere either on any profits.

I can think of one huge Chinese gaming company which blossomed across China in the days of the Internet Cafe, and mass media online gaming became hugely popular among Chinese young people. Instant massive market for advertising, up-selling, income streaming from the game and rewards chains etc.

The founders carried out a strategic review. They had a corporate reorganisation, listed on the US exchange, designated Singapore as their new headquarters for that income stream and diversified into US land holdings which saw them become America's largest private landowners, at least technically through blocks of shares they bought in US companies in that sector.

When the dust settled, the founders had effectively moved their company in complex fashion out of the Beijing regulatory sphere, Shanghai HQ etc, to wealth and shareholdings overseas and in the west. Corporate HQ is now Singapore rather than Shanghai. Clever stuff which involved complex listings in the US, share buy-back and a corporate reorganisation which has had the effect of moving a vast corporate empire out of one jurisdiction and into another where the founders don't have to worry so much about the local party boss and his hand out for bribes, their wealth is now secured in western systems rather than in China... clever strategic stuff!

Round tower

I remember Medtronic. They carried out the largest elective tax inversion in the corporate world to date when they bought Covidien and effectively backed what was Medtronic at the time into a new corporate structure which was technically headquartered in Ireland. I see their sales in Ireland are 0.1% of their turnover, with the vast majority of sales coming from the sale of medical devices to the US health sector.

Weird set-up, and is a bit of a financial case history in itself. There are three companies I noticed in the last decade who have pulled major 'inversions' of their domicile and have managed to move revenue for tax purposes out of one regulatory jurisdiction into another, with Medtronic likely to be the biggest.

There is some dispute about whether Medtronic's revenues should even be included in revenue attributable to 'Irish' companies for sectoral data purposes. Davy's stockbrokers don't think their revenue should be included in Irish financial data.

At least Medtronic are more than a brass plaque operation, with actual premises and assembly/manufacturing taking place and therefore the provision of jobs (how subsidised we are unlikely to get a view of).

Royalty Pharma is a hybrid private equity vehicle based on securitisation of therapeutic royalties. They have their employees and bosses in New York, although the company is listed as being 'headquartered in Dublin'. The reason for this is because the Irish Government allows for special purpose vehicles which in turn allows Royalty Pharma's backers to shelter their investment in a tax exempt vehicle. So not only can they use the private equity profit share system for investment partners but they won't be paying any tax anywhere either on any profits.

I can think of one huge Chinese gaming company which blossomed across China in the days of the Internet Cafe, and mass media online gaming became hugely popular among Chinese young people. Instant massive market for advertising, up-selling, income streaming from the game and rewards chains etc.

The founders carried out a strategic review. They had a corporate reorganisation, listed on the US exchange, designated Singapore as their new headquarters for that income stream and diversified into US land holdings which saw them become America's largest private landowners, at least technically through blocks of shares they bought in US companies in that sector.

When the dust settled, the founders had effectively moved their company in complex fashion out of the Beijing regulatory sphere, Shanghai HQ etc, to wealth and shareholdings overseas and in the west. Corporate HQ is now Singapore rather than Shanghai. Clever stuff which involved complex listings in the US, share buy-back and a corporate reorganisation which has had the effect of moving a vast corporate empire out of one jurisdiction and into another where the founders don't have to worry so much about the local party boss and his hand out for bribes, their wealth is now secured in western systems rather than in China... clever strategic stuff!

They have 5 sites in Athlone, Dublin and Galway employing 4,000 staff, i have seen since the CV adds they are looking for more people for Galway in the building of Ventilators

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Good stuff.. makes you wonder about the relatively clean-room setups in computer assembly production lines and software production. Those environments could be handy.

Keep seeing references to the production of ventilators by way of 3-D printing. It would be cool if the 3-D printers could be set to replicate themselves so that they achieve exponential reach when they mass produce ventilators. Going to be interesting to see how the coronavirus accelerates technology in certain areas.

sheehan

A donation from China including 10,000 FPP2 face masks, 500 protective goggles, 542 protective suits and 3 positive pressure respirators was handed over to HSE.
1585353131008.png

sheehan

President of Serbia shows his gratitude to China.

His country is literally cornered (export ban of medical materials) by their "European brothers and sisters" while China is the only nation that is willing and able to provide substantial and concrete support.

Popular Threads

Most Replies