China's New Super Computer, the Fastest!

evercloserunion

Playing nethack on that would be some experience.

Does anyone know what it will be used for?

evercloserunion

Just click on the link to the story. Simple as that. :)
Sorry, I had read the article but somehow missed the last paragraph. :oops:

They are good uses for it I suppose. The maths behind weather forecasting is supposed to be very complex and difficult and traditionally fairly unreliable. Maybe with stronger computing power, prediction capabilities can be improved.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
Sorry, I had read the article but somehow missed the last paragraph. :oops:

They are good uses for it I suppose. The maths behind weather forecasting is supposed to be very complex and difficult and traditionally fairly unreliable. Maybe with stronger computing power, prediction capabilities can be improved.
That's okay. Sometimes our own computer "does not compute".

Yes you are right about weather forcasts, they are pretty unreliabe after about seven days.
Even one day here in Ireland. :)

We are living in very interesting times as far as technology is concerned. We oldies are definitely challenged by it.

Astarmain

I wonder how much it would cost to dethrone it,by building a supercomputer with Tesla GPU's instead and AMD instead of intel.
Tianhe-1A is built with Teslas - Nvidia make the Tesla cards. The previous machine Tianhe-1 used ATI GPUs to offload calculations. Problem is most codes have been ported to CUDA (the Nvidia GPU language) rather than OpenCL.

owedtojoy

BBC News - China claims supercomputer crown

Should we human chess players sling in the towel now? :)
I read this story also in the International Herald Tribune.

The same story said that Chinese effforts to build microchips that are faster than Intel's are progressing apace. A separate editorial lamented the loss of the lead once held by the USA in alternative energy technologies .... to China, and Europe, BTW.

This year China surpassed Japan as the world's 2nd largest economy. Working in the telecommunications sector, I can tell you the last decade a Chinese company called Huawei has appeared from nowhere to compete with the best that Alcatel, Ericssons or AT&T has to offer. The same thing is going to happen in other sectors as the Chinese reverse-engineer everything they manufacture and produce their own designs.

It would be possible to overstate the meme that the USA is in decline, and China is leading a posse that is catching up fast (with Brazil and India farther back in the pack). But is has a lot of reality as well.

Last edited:

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com

The same story said that Chinese effforts to build microchips that are faster than Intel's are progressing apace. A separate editorial lamented the loss of the lead once held by the USA in alternative energy technologies .... to China, and Europe, BTW.

This year China surpassed Japan as the world's 2nd largest economy. Working in the telecommunications sector, I can tell you the last decade a Chinese company called Huawei has appeared from nowhere to compete with the best that Alcatel, Ericssons or AT&T has to offer. The same thing is going to happen in other sectors as the Chinese reverse-engineer everything

It would be possible to overstate the meme that the USA is in decline, and China is leading a posse that is catching up fast (with Brazil and India farther back in the pack). But is has a lot of reality as well.
Thanks owedtojoy, methinks you are on the ball here.

CarnivalOfAction

I wonder how much it would cost to dethrone it,by building a supercomputer with Tesla GPU's instead and AMD instead of intel.
Seems like a clever combo of RISC & CISC; still would need 50 of them to predict our weather ... and 100 to better the 2 Brains in predicting our economy!

evercloserunion

And Windows 22 will be bloated enough to slow it down.
The Chinese supercomputer runs Linux, apparently. Shouldn't come as a surprise I guess, it being a supercomputer, and Chinese.

MauriceColgan

Website
www.irelandtoo.com
The Chinese supercomputer runs Linux, apparently. Shouldn't come as a surprise I guess, it being a supercomputer, and Chinese.
In that case the laptop version may be more likely to be a handtop.

Or incorporated into one of those computer cameras worn like a pendant when 'little brothers' all over the world will be the new CCT watchdogs, and entertainers! SEE: http://www.ted.com/talks/pattie_maes_demos_the_sixth_sense.html

Thanks to Squire Allworthy for the link.

Last edited:

orbit

This year China surpassed Japan as the world's 2nd largest economy. Working in the telecommunications sector, I can tell you the last decade a Chinese company called Huawei has appeared from nowhere to compete with the best that Alcatel, Ericssons or AT&T has to offer. The same thing is going to happen in other sectors as the Chinese reverse-engineer everything they manufacture and produce their own designs.

I don't think the US is showing any signs of decline at all right now. One interesting thing that hasn't been commented on much recently is how the US (through Apple and Google) have seized control of mobile phone technology. It used to be European companies like Nokia and Ericsson that ran the show, with the US years behind. Now it's looking like the reverse. The reason is that the US is much better at disruptive innovations (ie. innovations like the iPhone that basically come out of the blue). China isn't really setup to compete on those lines yet. There's still too much influence from the state.

On that super-computer, most of the interesting technology in it is the chips provided by Intel and Nvidia (both US companies). These supercomputer wars always strikes me as a bit of a pointless p!ssing contest, because while it may be useful national prestige, it's only a matter of finding the budget to acquire more and more of the basic components in order to build bigger and better ones. There isn't necessarily all that much innovation going on.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies