• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Chinese repression in Xinjiang

tsarbomb

The West controlled the Middle East at that time before the Islamic conquest. The West had itself conquered it. Or rather the Romans did after the Greeks did.
The Byzantine Empire is the West? Never heard that one before. You think the rise of Islam was a reaction to Eastern Roman Byzantine control over the ME? That's fairly ridiculous if it's the case.

Dame_Enda

The Byzantine Empire is the West? Never heard that one before. You think the rise of Islam was a reaction to Eastern Roman Byzantine control over the ME? That's fairly ridiculous if it's the case.
The Byzantines inherited control of the Levant from the Romans. BTW one of the reasons the Muslims had such an easy time conquering it (and North Africa) is that the local non-Orthodox Christian sects like the Monophysites and the Donatists were being persecuted by the Byzantines. The leading Christian cleric in Egypt helped the Muslims in return for a promise of religious tolerance. Something similar happened with the Nestorian Christians in Sassanid Persia when they were conquered.

tsarbomb

The Byzantines inherited control of the Levant from the Romans. BTW one of the reasons the Muslims had such an easy time conquering it (and North Africa) is that the local non-Orthodox Christian sects like the Monophysites and the Donatists were being persecuted by the Byzantines. The leading Christian cleric in Egypt helped the Muslims in return for a promise of religious tolerance. Something similar happened with the Nestorian Christians in Sassanid Persia when they were conquered.
The reason why the Muslims conquered the region so easily is that (1) the Byzantine and Persians were exhausted after such a long war and (2) that they used Taqiya prior to the battle of Yarmouk.

Anyway, the rise of Islam certainly wasn't in response to the Byzantine presence in the ME. Islam began aggressively and hasn't managed to civilize itself.

Clanrickard

Wagmore

I'll tell you why. It's because progressives/leftists, for all their pretense to worldliness and egalitarianism are really mostly concerned with what they see as Western political culture having taken a wrong turn than needs correcting. Some "Oppressed" like African Americans, Palestinians are interesting to them not because of the circumstances of their plight so much as they are seen to be in opposition to Western hegemony, and thus allies. The same "enemy of my enemy is my friend" thinking is found in both Reg/Green alliances. (The greens here respectively Environmentalists and Islamists).

This is why you'll see British leftists and progressives out in their tens of thousands waving "We're All Hezbollah Now" placards and at home in their basements when Xi is in town.
Libbies just so pathetic and hypocritical

Last edited:

Wagmore

It is getting worse. The Chinese regime really is nasty. Our silence is shameful.
Totally agree. It represents profound validation of my distrust of the the lefty/Libbie mindset. Where are the Irish Times front pages, Michael D bleats, Eamonn Ryan tweets, People before Profit? All silent. While if the US under Trump tried anything like that, USembassy would be torched.

IvoShandor

Twitter
yes
To be accurate, the Byzantine Empire only controlled part of the "Middle East" (as we call that area today) Most of it was controlled by the Sassanian Empire (along with tribal areas and vassal states beholden to or allied with one or other of the superpowers.

petaljam

Totally agree. It represents profound validation of my distrust of the the lefty/Libbie mindset. Where are the Irish Times front pages, Michael D bleats, Eamonn Ryan tweets, People before Profit? All silent. While if the US under Trump tried anything like that, USembassy would be torched.
And yet it's covered in the Guardian? Talk about arguing from a conclusion.

Can't wait to see this. I believe it is shocking.
Another government-owned broadcast medium doing investigative reporting that rightwing tycoon-owner media aren't interested in.

But hey, I'm sure that won't stop some from blaming the libtards anyway.

Wagmore

And yet it's covered in the Guardian? Talk about arguing from a conclusion.

Another government-owned broadcast medium doing investigative reporting that rightwing tycoon-owner media aren't interested in.

But hey, I'm sure that won't stop some from blaming the libtards anyway.
Dream on--if this was America doing this there would be riots on the street. Nothing much doing in Irish media on this. If it was US, Mickey D would be having a coniption. And I never used word Libtard.

petaljam

Dream on--if this was America doing this there would be riots on the street. Nothing much doing in Irish media on this. If it was US, Mickey D would be having a coniption. And I never used word Libtard.
Everything in America gets massive coverage in the Irish media in ways that just don't happen for the non English speaking world. It's not about right or left wing media.

If you want to complain that the Irish media are doing a bad job in covering non English speaking countries then sure, make that case, but trying to make it into a right/left issue while ignoring that it's being well covered by the Guardian and ABC, both left of centre institutions, and almost ignored by Fox News or the various rightwing newspapers, just makes it look like you have your own agenda.

Wagmore

Everything in America gets massive coverage in the Irish media in ways that just don't happen for the non English speaking world. It's not about right or left wing media.

If you want to complain that the Irish media are doing a bad job in covering non English speaking countries then sure, make that case, but trying to make it into a right/left issue while ignoring that it's being well covered by the Guardian and ABC, both left of centre institutions, and almost ignored by Fox News or the various rightwing newspapers, just makes it look like you have your own agenda.
My only agenda is exposing Libbie agenda. Your nonchalance around both cultural genocide such double standards helps with that exposure. I"m talking primarily about the Irish media.

petaljam

My only agenda is exposing Libbie agenda. Your nonchalance around both cultural genocide such double standards helps with that exposure. I"m talking primarily about the Irish media.
Unless you think Irish liberals are fundamentally different to British or US ones, and in some ways closer to supporters of Fox News than to Guardian journalists, this doesn't make sense.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
There's a little more to it than that. There is a deep vein of anti-American sentiment - often casual, sometimes virulent - running through Irish society that finds its greatest expression in the media.

michael.d.3.a.jpg

Compare the reactions to the visit of Xi and Trump.

Ardillaun

It works very well, because behind the steamroller a veritable army of Han Chinese come, bringing with them motorways, railways, airports, factories, jobs and relative prosperity.
Comparisons with the US expansion westwards after the northerners won the civil war are very apt.
The argument used by many an invader. It’s getting old now.

The extraordinary persecution of the Uighurs is getting more attention across the world and for several good reasons. This is a country that may dominate the world soon.

Last edited:

petaljam

There's a little more to it than that. There is a deep vein of anti-American sentiment - often casual, sometimes virulent - running through Irish society that finds its greatest expression in the media.

View attachment 19070

Compare the reactions to the visit of Xi and Trump.
That's true, but I think it's got a lot to do with a lack of historical contacts with China, and therefore an absence of opinion about them at all really. It's not because people have thought about it and decided that China is genuinely better. It's just that many people have little or no information about the Chinese government.
In other cases it may be a sort of racism, a belief that a ruthless dictatorship is more acceptable and even necessary for the Chinese than for westerners.

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
That's true, but I think it's got a lot to do with a lack of historical contacts with China, and therefore an absence of opinion about them at all really. It's not because people have thought about it and decided that China is genuinely better. It's just that many people have little or no information about the Chinese government.
In other cases it may be a sort of racism, a belief that a ruthless dictatorship is more acceptable and even necessary for the Chinese than for westerners.
Agree, and I would add that that shows just how unprincipled much anti-Americanism is.

Wagmore

Unless you think Irish liberals are fundamentally different to British or US ones, and in some ways closer to supporters of Fox News than to Guardian journalists, this doesn't make sense.
It does make sense. Irish Libbies are often Guardian readers. It's token coverage but there's none of the outrage that would be generated if US was perpetrating these atrocities. Hence double standard. No blimps flown of Chinese leader when he's in town. Nor will there be.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies