Chinese repression in Xinjiang

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The Chinese wouldn't need to invade it. Most Taiwanese exports go to China and their supply chains are tightly bound together. Chinese sanctions on Taiwan would destroy it's economy. They only have themselves to blame for this situation. I mean they could have chosen to invest in Vietnam or the Philippines instead of the country that claims it, but nooo. The Taiwanese care more for profits than they do for independence.
Which ignores the inter-relatedness and cultural ties between the two countries. Maybe 40% of the families there moved from China within living memory. Chinese culture is 5,000 years old. The CCP is 80.

silverharp

In order to fully grasp what's happening here you need to try to understand how Chinese view themselves and their role in the world. Chinese exceptionalism is deeply ingrained in their history and society. This is different to US exceptionalism in that in the Chinese case, it is tied to ethnicity. If you're not Han Chinese, you're not really of concern. An example here works well.

Take two companies operating in South America. One Chinese one British. Simultaneously, news of environmental vandalism and mass mistreatment of workers breaks. Western universalism drives the response back home in the UK. There's outrage. In China? crickets. Is the environment being destroyed in China? No. Are the people being exploited Chinese? No. Nothing to see here.

Grasp that and you'll find yourself better understanding why China acts the way it does.

Another angle about Chinese thinking is that they don’t like doing fair deals, they only want to do unfair deals. They might be a great bunch of lads individually but…

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Another angle about Chinese thinking is that they don’t like doing fair deals, they only want to do unfair deals. They might be a great bunch of lads individually but…
This is the same thing. Why would I need to have an agreement that's fair to you? You're not Chinese are you? No.

silverharp

This is the same thing. Why would I need to have an agreement that's fair to you? You're not Chinese are you? No.
I got the impression they aren't much better at home though, but I can see how their racism wouldn't be great for everyone else.

toughbutfair

The Chinese view themselves as the centre of the world, surrounded by outsiders. This is why they call their country "middle country", prob a bad translation though as centre of the world is a better fit. Look at the hanzi word "zhongguo" to understand better.

New Threads

Most Replies