Chocolate

CatullusV

OK, I'm going on a master class in August. The guy giving it is an artist. He no longer cares about the chocolate. He is so expert that his only concern is the structures he can make with it. He wears the collar (red white and blue) which signals a maitre d'artisan.

It sort of signals to me the huge divide between continental Europe and the Anglo-Saxon sphere. You can buy in Ireland something which vaguely tastes of cocoa but is swamped by fats and milk?

Why tolerate that. The darkest shop-counter chocolate - Bourneville - is a sickly sweet confection with no taste other than sugar nd a hint of cocoa.

It is a mystery to me. Very good chocolate is a feast in itself and one needs eat only one square to have all cravings satisfied. Better for the body, surely? A square of very good chocolate with a glass of wine is cheaper than wolfing down a whole bar of crap 'chocolate' and more healthy too.

It's time that chocolate became a real thing in Ireland rather than on occasional duty-free thing.

jmcc

Some of the supermarkets and shops seem to be quite well stocked with artisan chocolates and more expensive types. Even Lidl and Aldi have various high cocoa content chocolate (85% and 75%) on sale. Perhaps you've been out of Ireland too long? :)

silverharp

as my other half is german we normally end up on the receiving end of various types of Lindt chocolate much of which is probably available in ireland anyway and even tesco do own brand 70% cocoa chocolate but personally dont like overly bitter chocolate. the cadbury stuff is basically for kids as far as i am concerned, far too sweet , the thought of eating a mars bar would make me wince.

publicrealm

OK, I'm going on a master class in August. The guy giving it is an artist. He no longer cares about the chocolate. He is so expert that his only concern is the structures he can make with it. He wears the collar (red white and blue) which signals a maitre d'artisan.

It sort of signals to me the huge divide between continental Europe and the Anglo-Saxon sphere. You can buy in Ireland something which vaguely tastes of cocoa but is swamped by fats and milk?

Why tolerate that. The darkest shop-counter chocolate - Bourneville - is a sickly sweet confection with no taste other than sugar nd a hint of cocoa.

It is a mystery to me. Very good chocolate is a feast in itself and one needs eat only one square to have all cravings satisfied. Better for the body, surely? A square of very good chocolate with a glass of wine is cheaper than wolfing down a whole bar of crap 'chocolate' and more healthy too.

It's time that chocolate became a real thing in Ireland rather than on occasional duty-free thing.
That's all very well for you epicures with yer red white and blue collars.

For the rest of us Tesco have a special offer on the 200g Fruit and Nut chocolate bar, and very nice it is too. You can eat the lot and still be ahead in the health eating stakes because of the fruit and nut content.

(I like to break mine in half - to eat one half now and the other half also now.)

CatullusV

Some of the supermarkets and shops seem to be quite well stocked with artisan chocolates and more expensive types. Even Lidl and Aldi have various high cocoa content chocolate (85% and 75%) on sale. Perhaps you've been out of Ireland too long? :)
Your latter suggestion - that I've been gone too long - is almost certainly 100% correct. I don't see Ireland often yet, the last time I was there - just a couple of weeks ago after a disgraceful two years without a visit - I struggled to find good ingredients. I also struggled to find chocolate. Yup, in my local Relais I'll find Mars and Twix, but there also are mini Lindts. Two squares, because with a tiny coffee at the train station, one is always enough.

jmcc

Your latter suggestion - that I've been gone too long - is almost certainly 100% correct. I don't see Ireland often yet, the last time I was there - just a couple of weeks ago after a disgraceful two years without a visit - I struggled to find good ingredients. I also struggled to find chocolate. Yup, in my local Relais I'll find Mars and Twix, but there also are mini Lindts. Two squares, because with a tiny coffee at the train station, one is always enough.
The good stuff is addictive. Was in the local supermarket yesterday and there was wide range of chocolates from the Lily O'Brien to artisan stuff with prices to match. There was also the usual Cadburys stuff but it seemed to be in a small section of its own and also by the express checkout. The Lindt chocolate seems to be the main midrange brand and there are the more exotic flavours with the Dolphin (I think) brand. Even Aldi has some of the artisan stuff at the checkout counters. It may still be difficult to get the really good ingredients though but things are improving. Even the pubs were open yesterday on a Good Friday for the first time since 1928.

Last edited:

silverharp

That's all very well for you epicures with yer red white and blue collars.

For the rest of us Tesco have a special offer on the 200g Fruit and Nut chocolate bar, and very nice it is too. You can eat the lot and still be ahead in the health eating stakes because of the fruit and nut content.

(I like to break mine in half - to eat one half now and the other half also now.)
dubious, the fruit is raisin? which is basically sugar as for the nuts there have been suggestions that eating a combination of high fat and sugar at the same time promotes weight gain more so than if you eat them separately.

milipod

I don't eat chocolate but I would murder a beer.

hollandia

There are numerous "proper" chocolatiers here in Ireland.

Artisan chocolates handmade in Dublin Ireland by a Belgian chocolatier

ger12

Hmmmmmm ........ Chocolate .... :)

D

Deleted member 45466

"Woooowwwww, chocolate! Half price!"

[video=youtube;ZOziWm_MJ9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOziWm_MJ9k[/video]

between the bridges

Deadlock

So, where do you get your Easter eggs ?

[video=youtube;Iys9rpOvMVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iys9rpOvMVQ[/video]

[video=youtube;ob_EqcIFQcM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob_EqcIFQcM[/video]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies