• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Chomsky to speak in Dublin

james5001

The Owl

I think James that a lot of posters on this site are probably having a heart attack at the very thought of that brilliant man Noam being in Dublin let alone going to see him.

I was actually planning to go to Dublin to see Khenpo-La, but apparently our civil servants have screwed up his visa application, on purpose or just being civil servants, who knows, so if I want to see him I will have to go to the U.K. where apparently the Brits welcome him with open arms. I wonder what harm our civil servants, or even our government mayhaps, think a Buddhist Monk could create? Noam Chomsky is skating on thin ice in present day Ireland. Apparently.

Sieghart

He's also going to be speaking in UCD on the day before (2 euro if you join a society).

I cannot post links as I've not posted over 50 posts but if you google the following it will come up: UCD Philosophy Society Inaugural Lecture: "Can Civilization survive really existing capitalism?" by Noam Chomsky

Might attend both events myself, I missed him last time he was in Dublin like 3 years ago?

SayItAintSo

Noam Chomsky is to speak in the RDS on the 3rd of April.
The title of the lecture is ''Solidarity and the Responsibility to Protect''. It will be chaired by Bryan Dobson.
The lecture is in Partnership with UCD, TCD and Front Line Defenders.

The inaugural Annual Front Line Defenders Lecture in partnership with UCD and TCD - Professor Noam Chomsky - Solidarity and Responsibility to Protect - RDS
Just booked tickets, thanks for heads up. Would have been very disappointed had I missed him.

james5001

No problem.

former wesleyan

Hitch 22

A crashing bore.

Hear him boo hoo about the killing of Bin Laden.

[video=youtube;f5pur4-dfiY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5pur4-dfiY[/video]

Last edited:

Hitch 22

Save your money and watch Dershowitz wiping the floor with Chomsky

[video=youtube;ZO2-eZ-1WA8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZO2-eZ-1WA8[/video]

freewillie

Save your money and buy some Lidl toilet paper insteadd

Trampas

He's also going to be speaking in UCD on the day before (2 euro if you join a society).

I cannot post links as I've not posted over 50 posts but if you google the following it will come up: UCD Philosophy Society Inaugural Lecture: "Can Civilization survive really existing capitalism?" by Noam Chomsky

Might attend both events myself, I missed him last time he was in Dublin like 3 years ago?

Like was he indeed ? Sounds like you would be an ideal candidate for attendance........like.

Trampas

Here is the US hating bustard's reaction to OBL's demise.......
Needless to say "International Law" features prominently, and all that for the self-confessed murderer of 3,000 people who were going about their daily business.

The word "uncontroversially" continues to appear. The sheer arrogance of it all.

Noam Chomsky: My Reaction to Osama bin Laden’s Death
May 6, 2011

By **Noam Chomsky**

It’s increasingly clear that the operation was a planned assassination, multiply violating elementary norms of international law. There appears to have been no attempt to apprehend the unarmed victim, as presumably could have been done by 80 commandos facing virtually no opposition—except, they claim, from his wife, who lunged towards them. In societies that profess some respect for law, suspects are apprehended and brought to fair trial. I stress “suspects.” In April 2002, the head of the FBI, Robert Mueller, informed the press that after the most intensive investigation in history, the FBI could say no more than that it “believed” that the plot was hatched in Afghanistan, though implemented in the UAE and Germany. What they only believed in April 2002, they obviously didn’t know 8 months earlier, when Washington dismissed tentative offers by the Taliban (how serious, we do not know, because they were instantly dismissed) to extradite bin Laden if they were presented with evidence—which, as we soon learned, Washington didn’t have. Thus Obama was simply lying when he said, in his White House statement, that “we quickly learned that the 9/11 attacks were carried out by al Qaeda.”

Nothing serious has been provided since. There is much talk of bin Laden’s “confession,” but that is rather like my confession that I won the Boston Marathon. He boasted of what he regarded as a great achievement.

There is also much media discussion of Washington’s anger that Pakistan didn’t turn over bin Laden, though surely elements of the military and security forces were aware of his presence in Abbottabad. Less is said about Pakistani anger that the U.S. invaded their territory to carry out a political assassination. Anti-American fervor is already very high in Pakistan, and these events are likely to exacerbate it. The decision to dump the body at sea is already, predictably, provoking both anger and skepticism in much of the Muslim world.

It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”

We might ask ourselves how we would be reacting if Iraqi commandos landed at George W. Bush’s compound, assassinated him, and dumped his body in the Atlantic. Uncontroversially, his crimes vastly exceed bin Laden’s, and he is not a “suspect” but uncontroversially the “decider” who gave the orders to commit the “supreme international crime differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within itself the accumulated evil of the whole” (quoting the Nuremberg Tribunal) for which Nazi criminals were hanged: the hundreds of thousands of deaths, millions of refugees, destruction of much of the country, the bitter sectarian conflict that has now spread to the rest of the region.

There’s more to say about [Cuban airline bomber Orlando] Bosch, who just died peacefully in Florida, including reference to the “Bush doctrine” that societies that harbor terrorists are as guilty as the terrorists themselves and should be treated accordingly. No one seemed to notice that Bush was calling for invasion and destruction of the U.S. and murder of its criminal president.

Same with the name, Operation Geronimo. The imperial mentality is so profound, throughout western society, that no one can perceive that they are glorifying bin Laden by identifying him with courageous resistance against genocidal invaders. It’s like naming our murder weapons after victims of our crimes: Apache, Tomahawk… It’s as if the Luftwaffe were to call its fighter planes “Jew” and “Gypsy.”

There is much more to say, but even the most obvious and elementary facts should provide us with a good deal to think about.

Druidess

Noam Chomsky is a bigoted old fart who happens to be good at arguing by taking the higher moral ground. It would be most interesting for him to meet Ilana Mercer publicly for debate.

james5001

james5001

Noam Chomsky is a bigoted old fart who happens to be good at arguing by taking the higher moral ground. It would be most interesting for him to meet Ilana Mercer publicly for debate.
Or backing his statements up with facts....

james5001

More like the other way around. Dershowitz started talking about ''Planet Chomsky''. It went down hill from there.

james5001

MrMee

Chomsky is for people who don't know how or don't want to do their own research and digging and need him to do it for them. He amazes them with his eloquence and apparent powers of perception, but in terms of offering solutions for the very problems he so bitterly complains about, he has nothing to offer. He is, in fact, a master complainer. One poster on another thread was even impressed by the number of footnotes Chomskyhas in his books, an indication of the ilk of some of his loyal legions. He is great at telling people what to think, and a master, a real master, at manipulating information. He is highly skilled at what he does, there is no doubt at all about that. And as I said on the other thread, he is laughing all the way to the bank.

General Mayhem

Chomsky is for people who don't know how or don't want to do their own research and digging and need him to do it for them. He amazes them with his eloquence and apparent powers of perception, but in terms of offering solutions for the very problems he so bitterly complains about, he has nothing to offer. He is, in fact, a master complainer. One poster on another thread was even impressed by the number of footnotes Chomskyhas in his books, an indication of the ilk of some of his loyal legions. He is great at telling people what to think, and a master, a real master, at manipulating information. He is highly skilled at what he does, there is no doubt at all about that. And as I said on the other thread, he is laughing all the way to the bank.
Not familiar with the man but he sounds a lot like my doctor :lol: