Chris Andrews TD calls for FF to merge with FG!

odlum

I am against a merger of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael at this time because of Phil Hogan's disgraceful undermining of investigations in to members of the FG family down the country. This raises ethical questions within his party that would not sit well with Fianna Fáil under our new leadership. Chris Andrews was swiftly out the door.

However down the road maybe I would be open to such a merger. But it must be Fine Gael being subsumed in to Fianna Fáil. I would not support a merger of equals.

You can't take the "Fáil" out of "Fianna Fáil" so the name should be "Fine Fáil"

Red_93

I am against a merger of Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael at this time because of Phil Hogan's disgraceful undermining of investigations in to members of the FG family down the country. This raises ethical questions within his party that would not sit well with Fianna Fáil under our new leadership. Chris Andrews was swiftly out the door.

However down the road maybe I would be open to such a merger. But it must be Fine Gael being subsumed in to Fianna Fáil. I would not support a merger of equals.

You can't take the "Fáil" out of "Fianna Fáil" so the name should be "Fine Fáil"
You really are a deluded ignoramus. Apart from your drivel about FF ethics, you seem completely innumerate. Tell me, how would a merger between FG (which is 4 times as large as FF) and FF constitute a 'merger of equals'?

Casualbets

You really are a deluded ignoramus. Apart from your drivel about FF ethics, you seem completely innumerate. Tell me, how would a merger between FG (which is 4 times as large as FF) and FF constitute a 'merger of equals'?
If you read what Odlum said, it was clear that he was stating he or she was opposed to a merger between FF and FG unless/until FF are the majority partner. So, being to fair to Odlum, he or she is not innumerate. At least not in this instance.

devnull

What do FF have to offer any other party in a merger, whether as a junior partner, senior partner or equal?

The party's reputation is mud, its front-bench consists almost entirely of people who are either discredited or lack the talent for the job, its public support has actually declined since its catastrophy 18 months ago and there's no party that really needs FF's national organisation, which would split no matter which partner the leadership chose anyway.
In its current state, FF doesn't have much to offer to counter-balance the risk of dragging the other party down with it.

FG, in particular, would have to be insane to agree to any kind of merger. In much of the country, FF is the alternative to the larger party and if it disappeared, a credible party would inevitably fill the vacuum.

Even if the party did recover, its inability to stand for much without splitting itself means that getting taken over by it is equivalent to death for any party with beliefs. Even the PDs, whose leadership cadre had originally come from FF, which had been in coalition with the party for most of its existence and died in government with it, preferred to disband than to fold into the larger party.

Little_Korean

Was this even a serious statement by Andrews or just him trolling his former party and the other?

A plague on both your houses, indeed.

And So I Said

True, time to bin FF.

Why to polls still go: FF,FG,LP,SF shouldn't it be FG,SF,FF,LP ????

subtle.

human 19

It seems that a large reason for parties remaining in power for long periods is electoral inertia. They stick with the divil they know until that party becomes so used to power and devoid of new ideas that they blow it and are decimated in the polls. The longer a party remains in power the harder it is for the electorate to trust the "inexperienced" opposition....conveniently either forgetting, or not knowing , that the governing party is packed with advisors and also relies on the civil service,due to their lack of expertise in the first place.

Also , the longer a party remains in power , the less interest it has in accepting new ideas , and prefers maintaining the status quo. This is what happened to FF , so when the outcome of their populist policies became manifest, they could only run around like headless chickens until they imploded.

I was disgusted with the Irish "im alright Jack" electorate after the last FF victory, but at least they are showing now that they have a shorter memory than the UK electorate who , very quickly, bought into the old cliche of the evil conservatives, despite the fact that Labour squandered the money and joined Bush in a phony war.

I imagine it will become clear to the electorate after 5 years that there is not much difference between FF and FG after all.
I had the impression that Fg /Labour were looking at all that was done wrong in the past 10 years and were going to come in with radical reform. Soon after they were in the door it transpired that a lot of these reforms were watered down or scrapped altogether.

I would be interesting if FG got an overall majority after the next election. That would give the Labour party a great opportunity to develop into a major 2nd party in this country, much like in Germany or the UK, while the old FFers would retire and the remainder may realise that they may as well just join with FG

HYENA

Time to give these hasbeens the message, treason is forever, no matter how many of your neighbours children, you force to emigrate.

Effin Effer!!!

I didn't quite believe this but it's true. I've copied his Tweets below. After failing to save FF with the National Govt ruse, FF are now just going for the Big One and calling for both parties to merge into one because 'voters can't tell the difference between them'! And this from the grandson of Todd Andrews, a founder of FF and vicious anti treatyite.

Is this the most obvious pubic admission that FF TDs are utterly panicking? They obviously suspect that FF are looking at a generation or more out of power.

When asked how long a merger would take to complete he said this;

If this happened it would utterly transform the political landscape and probably result in the traditional left/right split found in other countries. Certainly Labour would have to benefit as they would automatically become the main opposition party.

If he wants to join the Blueshirt's then away with him. He won't find many following him!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies