Christian Politician is Hounded from Office in UK

Half Nelson

Tim Farron has resigned as leader of the Liberal Democrats.

Since taking up the role of Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Farron has faced an unceasing barrage of questions about his personal religious beliefs.
This culminated in Lord Paddick's resignation as the Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman, citing concerns about leader Tim Farron's "views on various issues", an allusion to Farron's alleged views on homosexuality.

Asked several times during the campaign whether he believed gay sex was a sin, having previously told Channel 4 News “we’re all sinners”, Farron repeatedly said he was not prepared to make theological pronouncements, before insisting he did not believe it was a sin and that he was pro-life.
Tendering his resignation Farron said “I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in. “In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society. That’s why I have chosen to step down.."

The question is simple - is there an equal place for Christians in politics?

[video=youtube;KRpMTQl7cvI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRpMTQl7cvI[/video]

Tim Farron resigns as leader of the Liberal Democrats - Manchester Evening News

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/14/lib-dem-peer-brian-paddick-resigns-over-farrons-views-on-gay-sex

Tim Farron resigns as leader of Liberal Democrats | The Independent

PBP voter

No Christian could join a party that once had one of the worlds biggest war criminals as it's leader. Lloyd George sent over the murderous Black and Tans.

Ireland's War of Independence: The chilling story of the Black and Tans | The Independent

Also he was responsible for the murder of the democratically elected mayor of Cork. Despite excluding Catholics from the jury the local Protestants found him guilty.

Following the Lord Mayor's death, the threatening letter was cited by the British Government "to suggest that there was an internal feud among the republicans". Meanwhile, Michael Collins called the assassination a "ghastly affair" and vowed to identify those responsible.[88]

Meanwhile, a coroner's inquest returned a verdict of willful murder against Lloyd George, Lord French, the Chief Secretary for Ireland, and several officials of the RIC. The reading of the verdict was greeted with applause.[87]

slysnara

Where do you stand on the demonisation of the DUP because of some of their politicians' religious beliefs?
Shows how out of touch Britain is with Northern Ireland.

Half Nelson

Where do you stand on the demonisation of the DUP because of some of their politicians' religious beliefs?
Maybe I can reply if you fill out your question a little ... keeping it in the context of this thread, naturally.

GDPR

Why do you as a militant "Social Liberal" support the DUP? Answer that and you have your answer.

D

Deleted member 17573

It's wrong, and not only that but the criticism is wholly irrelevant and is just another exercise in pseudo-liberalism from the media. The issues about which they are being attacked, SSM and abortion, are devolved issues.

Eire1976

The difference is the that the DUP is mostly made up of thick bastards who abuse religion.

GDPR

Maybe I can reply if you fill out your question a little ... keeping it in the context of this thread, naturally.
It would be very possible in a united Ireland that the DUP could make Fianna Fail recover it's soul and FF could school the DUP in civilized ethics. Something that also needs to be considered is that getting rid of the 8 th in the South would make moves to a united Ireland much more ugly and violent.

Catalpast

Since taking up the role of Leader of the Liberal Democrats, Farron has faced an unceasing barrage of questions about his personal religious beliefs.
This culminated in Lord Paddick's resignation as the Liberal Democrats' home affairs spokesman, citing concerns about leader Tim Farron's "views on various issues", an allusion to Farron's alleged views on homosexuality.

Tendering his resignation Farron said “I seem to be the subject of suspicion because of what I believe and who my faith is in. “In which case we are kidding ourselves if we think we yet live in a tolerant, liberal society. That’s why I have chosen to step down.."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/14/lib-dem-peer-brian-paddick-resigns-over-farrons-views-on-gay-sex

Just shows what a sick society over there the so called 'Liberal' agenda has produced

- that even the leader of a Liberal Party is hounded from Office

- because of his Christian beliefs....:|

gerhard dengler

David Steele MP was the man responsible for legalising abortion in Britain.
David Steele was a Liberal Party MP and he became party leader. The Liberal Party rebranded itself as Liberal Democrats.

slysnara

It would be very possible in a united Ireland that the DUP could make Fianna Fail recover it's soul and FF could school the DUP in civilized ethics. Something that also needs to be considered is that getting rid of the 8 th in the South would make moves to a united Ireland much more ugly and violent.
And conversely, if Labour had won the election and imposed the Abortion Act on the North, moves towards a united Ireland would've met less opposition.

D

Deleted member 17573

Just shows what a sick society over there the so called 'Liberal' agenda has produced

But it does highlight their fear that Christianity is the one force that will stand in the way of the "liberal" agenda.

GDPR

You would be weirded out about how many very Socially Conservative English people vote Lib Dems on the logic that the Conservatives are to nasty (which they are) and they cannot bring themselves to vote for Labour.

GDPR

And conversely, if Labour had won the election and imposed the Abortion Act on the North, moves towards a united Ireland would've met less opposition.
They wouldn't do so because lads like Had 237 who used to post here would seriously riot on a scale worse than the Fleg dramatics.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
How could Labour impose such an act on NI?

slysnara

How could Labour impose such an act on NI?
The Labour manifesto initially said they were going to extend it to NI, before removing it from the final manifesto published.

Odyessus

He is not the first politician hounded from office because of his Christian beliefs. Remember Rocco Buttiglione, the Italian nominee to the European Commission?

“I may think that homosexuality is a sin,” he said, in response to a question from a member of the European Parliament (MEP) last month, “but this has no effect on politics, unless I say that homosexuality is a crime…The state has no right to stick its nose into these things.”

As Mr Buttiglione has now found out, thinking homosexuality a sin has a profound effect on the politics of the European Parliament. Angered by his comments, many of the parliament's 732 members threatened to veto the new commission unless Mr Buttiglione were(sic) moved from his portfolio of justice and home affairs. Last Wednesday, mere hours before the vote was due, José Manuel Barroso, who will head the new commission, called off the vote, promising to find a solution to the impasse “in the next few weeks”.

Buttiglione backs out | The Economist

So much for "liberal, tolerant" attitudes. Of course the European Parliament would never have the nerve to subject a Muslim candidate to the same intrusive questioning about his personal religious beliefs, let alone veto his appointment. Perish the thought! They are far too "liberal, tolerant and inclusive" for that.

(Except when it comes to Christians of course.)

[h=1][/h]

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies